Notify
Tools

Your favorite military sporters?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
This one, built on a Carl Gustav military rolling block action:

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Really nice, loud-n-boomer. It looks like it came out of a mountain man movie. What's the caliber?

For me it would be a toss-up between the .308 Mini-G (top)

and the .405 Grenadier 4-shot Mosin-Nagant repeater dpcd put together. (a cartridge is shown on the magazine)

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The roller is still chambered for a military round, the U.S. .50-goverment, also known as the .50-70. The one I have is built in the style of the classic 1870s Remington rolling block sporters, and I would love to thump a bison with it.

That Nagent is spectacular looking.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
VZ24, 338-06.

Where did you get the stock done for this one?

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why haven't the different forums filed a class action suit against Photobucket for holding former users hostage with their pictures. What a bunch of A--Holes..

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooksey:
Why haven't the different forums filed a class action suit against Photobucket for holding former users hostage with their pictures. What a bunch of A--Holes..

I've wondered that myself. Confused

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a really lovely VZ-24 you have there z1r. The stock is incredible. Years ago I had an Oregon gunsmith build me two rifles on VZ-24s, one in .338-06 and one in .416 Taylor, both with Pac-Nor barrels. The .416 ended up with a member of this forum. Wonder if he still has it.
This is posted in the big bore forum, but here is the .400 Whelen that dpcd built for me on a 1903 Springfield Mark 1 action. Stock is a Boyd's laminate that I figured could take a beating in wet cold, should it have to.

fullsizeoutput_930 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tim416:
quote:
VZ24, 338-06.

Where did you get the stock done for this one?

I made it.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked this up the other night. 1903, I'm pretty sure this was an 03A3 "C" stock that was carved up

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
That's a really lovely VZ-24 you have there z1r. The stock is incredible. Years ago I had an Oregon gunsmith build me two rifles on VZ-24s, one in .338-06 and one in .416 Taylor, both with Pac-Nor barrels. The .416 ended up with a member of this forum. Wonder if he still has it.
This is posted in the big bore forum, but here is the .400 Whelen that dpcd built for me on a 1903 Springfield Mark 1 action. Stock is a Boyd's laminate that I figured could take a beating in wet cold, should it have to.

Nice, I like it.

A customer of mine kept bugging me about selling him that .338-06. He finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I saw him the weekend before last and he had just returned from his annual elk hunt having bagged a nice bull with it.

Now I have to make myself another, lol.

I only have one 1903 action and I may have to look into making a .400 out of it. Kinda makes a lot of sense as I intend to make it open sight only.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Here is my one and only. K98 257 Roberts in a Boyds plywood stock.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Nice, I like it.

A customer of mine kept bugging me about selling him that .338-06. He finally made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I saw him the weekend before last and he had just returned from his annual elk hunt having bagged a nice bull with it.

Now I have to make myself another, lol.

I only have one 1903 action and I may have to look into making a .400 out of it. Kinda makes a lot of sense as I intend to make it open sight only.

Let me know if you go ahead with the 1903/400. I intend on doing the same with mine.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of sporterized military rifles, but this is one I just traded for. I think it will become a favorite!

A 1909 Argentine action with a cut down stock and a new surplus Israeli 308 barrel. The military stock had some surprisingly nice walnut, but the fore end had been left too long. I cut it down and added a barrel band sling stud.
As I got it:

After shortening the stock:

The first group I fired with it after zeroing the scope. That Israeli barrel is impressive:

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember buying several of these things up in the 200 dollars range.

Most of the time it was less then what it cost to put new barrels on them and doing the Smithing work.

I have 3 or 4 of them in the safe I have one 03 that I traded a bunch of pulled 8mm pulled FMJ bullets for.

The guy who wanted the bullets had a Germen machine gun he wanted to load for.

I brought a VZ24 in 338-06 with 27 in barrel and early Kelvar stock Timmy trigger, drilled and tap new bolt handle that had a early weaver on it and a semi sporter 8mm 98 with mil barrel Timmy trigger drilled tap bent bolt and a cheap scope bell and Carlson stock.

I brought both of them for 375.00 and the seller was more then happy to get rid of them.

Wish I would have had more money back then there were a lot of them at gun shows in the 80's and 90's in the 150 to 200 range.

Earlier times seeing them for a hundred or less.

But as a kid I had no money just big eyes.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Those are nice, clean stocks, Hook. I guess you realise that there is so much wood on the military ones that you can remove some behind the pistol hand (along a line from toe to trigger guard), in front of the knob and beneath the cheek piece area, to make a stock redolent of the post-war FN sporters. With the fore end slimmed down and the butt hollowed out a little this can save a fair bit of weight.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love those 16" Mini-Gs! '06, .308, or .35 Whelen, take your pick. Mine's been great!

A battle-proven action that's reliable under the harshest conditions, and the best set of iron-sights ever fielded on a battle rifle anywhere in the world.

Plus, with the ability to attach a forward-mount set-up ahead of the action, you can run optics like a red-dot sight or a "Scout-scope" on these carbines, while still being able to load them fast and easy.

8-rd USGI enbloc clips, or 5-rd "hunting" clips. No moose, deer, or hog is safe with a Mini-G in the woods!

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Finnish Arsenal at Sako sporterized my hex-receiver M1891 Mosin-Nagant - in 1939. All I had to do was refinish the stock and shim the rear sight so it was on at 100 yards.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Swed, cut to 19" . Pilkingtome rust blue. The rifle cost $125 in the late 80's. Took a spike with it in 2006-ish

First stock was a B&C foam stock. with an ar15 converted mount.

Second stock was a Royal Arms maple. The mount is a weaver.

Third stock is a Ramline.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
also did a yugo 24/47 with a Royal stock.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love those Mauser Scout rifles.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SOLD

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you see the yugo used for sporters? I bought one that was immediately commandeered by my son but it looked like it would make a danday start for a .308/8x57 sized sporter.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt that Mauser owns the custom gun world and should not be considered in this thread as its simply out of place...

That said I love an old 1903 Springfield with a good serial number that has been converted by a good smith to one degree or another...slick action and still pretty IMO..

The old 30-40 Krag customized to any degree suits me.. That old slicker n snot action appeals to anyone who has used it..

Other than that its hard for any other that comes to mind to compete, unless I missed something. Im limiting my decision to bolt action milsurp guns however...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
No doubt that Mauser owns the custom gun world and should not be considered in this thread as its simply out of place...

Confused Ray, if you are saying fine custom made 98s I can see where you're coming from. The 98s that you rework the barrel,change the trigger, remove front and rear sights, whittle the mil. stock, attach a recoil pad and perhaps design and build a scout scope mount.Well to me that type 98 definitely belongs on this forum. beerroger

PS. If you like I'll e-mail you fotos of at least 4ea. 98s just like that.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsch,
No sir, I agree with your post entirely, My attempt to disregard the "full blown custom $3000 to $10,000 guns on Mauser actions, may have failed to be clear, but that was my intention..Those super guns don't apply to the intent of this thread...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe Dean:
This is my '03 Mark 1 in .30'06 of course:

And my '98 Mauser in 7x57.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote