Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite military sporters?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
These are mine, Springfield, Greek Mannlicher, G33/40. All have crappy bores but shoot straight.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldReally great stuff!!! Thanks for sharing beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Rock Island 1903 with Marbles Semi-buckhorn rear sight.
Springfield 1903 with Lyman 48 sight and G&H side mount scope, post and crosshair weaver k4.
Swedish Mauser, 6.5x55
1898 Krag with Lyman 34 lever arm rear sight, Lyman front sight, and reshaped Bishop stock (still in progress).

Just a few. I have a sickness for sportered military bolt guns. There's another dozen plus Mausers and another half dozen 03 and 03a3...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like that Krag.....wonder where I could find a stock like that? I have an action just dying to turn back into a rifle!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
These are the two favourites on the Lee Enfield Long Lee action that I built. Top is 303 and the lower one is 400

I have a couple of mausers with one completed and the other one getting some metalwork done at the moment so I can finish the stockwork.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some Mausers:

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Love the Enfields! One of those is on my list eventually, as I'll never be able to afford a speed sporter!

As for the Krag stock, it is a Bishop stock that has been fairly heavily reworked to my liking...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springfields:

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some Mausers.

A G33/40 in 257 bob.

This my 6.5-284 Tweede.

300WM

6mm Rem

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My mosin nagant

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifles
Here are a few of mine.

P14 303 British
Steyr model 1912 30-06 Springfield
1903 Springfield 30-06 Springfield
M1917 30-06 Springfield

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I like the 1950s FN Mauser and '03 Greek Mannlicher Schoenauer because both have stocks clean of crap on the butt and enough wood there to sculpture fair pistol hands. The MS does have a fluted fore end but it can be got rid of in slimming the excess wood.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seen my VZ-24 in 404 Jefferys lately?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
8X57 built on a VZ500 action but it has a military take-off barrel W/an untouched chamber/bore. Just a re-contour & crown job. Torqued right up to the proper headspace.

My late Father's 30/40 Krag.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MountainBear:

Springfield 1903 with Lyman 48 sight and G&H side mount scope, post and crosshair weaver k4.
Swedish Mauser, 6.5x55
1898 Krag with Lyman 34 lever arm rear sight, Lyman front sight, and reshaped Bishop stock (still in progress).

Just a few. I have a sickness for sportered military bolt guns. There's another dozen plus Mausers and another half dozen 03 and 03a3...

This started out as the same style Bishop stock as yours. White line spacers & all.

There was plenty of wood to replicate the 1930s era sporterized military stock that was on it. The original was in bad shape.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HerrMesser:
I have some Mausers.

6mm Rem

Rad

Dang! That 6mm just looks RIGHT! tu2

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This 8x57 Erfurt.

My eldest son throwing 180 gr BT's in 2012.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 724wd:
quote:
Originally posted by HerrMesser:
I have some Mausers.

6mm Rem

Rad

Dang! That 6mm just looks RIGHT! tu2

The stock is a Argentine that my brother discarded when used the action for a 25-06. I just cut it off to the length I wanted and reshaped the butt where the sling cut out was at. The barrel is a 26" #3 sporter Douglas, if I remember right, bead blasted then blued.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Mauser you have there Boxhead. Excellent taste!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a Krag that I shortened + crowned the bbl.,D+T bbl for scout scope,totally stripped action down + jeweled the entire inside as well as building a light pull adjustable trigger.Very sweet + quick to operate.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have a Krag that I shortened + crowned the bbl.,D+T bbl for scout scope,totally stripped action down + jeweled the entire inside as well as building a light pull adjustable trigger.Very sweet + quick to operate.

I would be interested in how you did the rigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MountainBear:

Swedish Mauser, 6.5x55

Very nice collection there. I really like the old military sporters. Your group is Awesome. Thanks for sharing

Posts: 33 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I don't have a photo of my favorite military sporter. My Father picked this rifle up from the steps of Cologne cathedral shortly after the Germans evaluated. He sent it back to my Grand Father for deer hunting. Grand Dad shortened the stock, put a Redfield scope and mount on it. Grand Dad collected several white tail, mule deer and one elk. I will hand it down to my grand sons.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
If this one counts as a military sporter, it is one I have just done with the metal work away for blueing at the moment. 1916 Erfurt in 6.5x57
Mostly, it will be shot with the Talley peep sight installed but a scope will come on its outings in a scope bag just in case of a long shot. 6 1/2 lb as it sits and 7 1/2 with the scope on board.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dead Eye:
Love those dog leg bolts!
Have three finished and another in the works now.

Randall: SO, what kind of rifle is it?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
1903 Springfield I just got back:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Thanks George.
Another 1903 I recently picked up

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I've always had a nice Springfield sporter on my wish list, but I haven't seen one yet that fits.

Currently my only sporters I have is one of the Kimber 96 Mauser sporters they made years back when they were in financial trouble. It's my favorite blacktail rifle. I also have a 1917 Enfield that was sporterized sometime in the 1920's or 30's.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the G33-40s, German Customs Carbine, and brno mod. 21, all the same small ring action..

I like the Chilean 1935 LR, The Purvian all the 1908s in LR.

Ive always wanted a customized Krag in 30-40 but havn't got around to that just yet..

The Remington mod. 30-S sure makes a nice big bore.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely looking jobs fellas. Always fancied a P17 in 338-06 for some reason

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
This very early 1903 Spfld built by Wundhammer is one of my favorites. It still is no problem keeping 3 shots under an inch at 100 yards.

And for those of you interested in the old Springfield sporting rifles there is a feature on them in the 2017 Gun Digest.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Phil, and of course Michael Petrov's books are full of great classic Springfield sporters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
J. P. Sauer & Sohn 1943 vintage 98K action. M98/29 barrel cut back to 26" crowned & recountoured. 8mm-06 Ackley Improved chamber. 1904 Portrugese Vergueiro bottom metal with the magazine filled to 3.420" internal length, Timney "Sportsman" trigger @ 3#, Dakota Arms 3-position Model 70 style safety. Quarter sawn black walnut stock with Pachmayr "Decelerator" recoil pad, ebony fore-end tip & wrist cap.. Rust blued/boiled linseed oil finish.

200gr Speer .323 Hotcore bullet @ 2900 fps over a slightly compressed load of Norma MRP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 Swede original 1917 35 Whelen Imp. Fiber glass stock stock modified

My current two. Swede is in the original stock with a few modifications - raised cheek piece and pistol grip. I camoed both stocks using Krylon Paint

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Lets try the pic of the 1917 Whelen imp again

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Nice rifle Phil, and of course Michael Petrov's books are full of great classic Springfield sporters.

Michaels books are a great resource but they are rapidly drying up. I think the first edition is almost, if not, completely gone but there are still a few of the second edition for $30. Joe Dobrzynski is selling them for Michaels widow and he can be reached either by phone 708-655-8228 by email at jojodo@ak.net

Or I believe Steven Dodd Hughes may also have a few for sale.
I even purchased a few extra editons to keep in hunting camp after I submitted my piece on Springfield porters in the 2017 Gun Digest.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....try about $300 down here Eeker

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rook49
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 old sporterized rifles. The one in the back in the photo is a Remington 03-A3 .30-06 made in 1942.

The other one is a Carl Gustafs Stads Gevarsfaktor 6.5 x 55 Model 94 Swedish Mauser made in 1898. My uncle bought the Swedish Mauser back in the late 50s and I inherited it along with the rest of my families old guns.

Interesting thing about the barrel on this Swedish Mauser. I noticed that there is an approx. 3/8" section on the end of the barrel that is not blued like the rest of the barrel. I got to looking at it and there's no rifling in that top section. I found out on a Mauser forum that in order to import these old rifles into the US back in the 50s they had to weld a section of barrel onto the end of the barrels in order to make them at least 18" long due to the law at that time.

Posts: 32 | Location: Hampton, GA | Registered: 14 December 2016Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 Swedish mauser, the only sporterized one I own, has a 6x weaver on it and it has a short barrel but a great little shooter

Posts: 318 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
VZ24, 338-06.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote