New
Find
Notify
Tools

P 17 book review
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just learned one of the guys didn't know about a great book we all should have a copy of if we're interested in 1917 Enfields. IF he didn't know, very likely several others on here don't either. Maybe the cover picture I txt'd him can be posted here if he's willing.

Re: C.S. Ferris, wrote: (1st printing Dec 2004)
"United States Rifle Model of 1917"

Very informative paperback book, LOT's of detailed pictures of markings and locations, comparisons between makers for both markings and design differences.
Every 17 made is covered in this and the serial numbers lists is clear enough you can learn the day it was made and where even.

Explains the metalurgy of both '03's, P14, & 17's. Discusses the brittleness, why it happened and how it was cured.

About 195 pages, plus 25 more of referrences.

I got my copy in '07, I think from Midway out of the big book listings. I don't recall the price and it's not marked. Plumb cheap for the info included though. Front page gives info of printer and publisher. To assist you in obtaining a copy I'll include it here.

Anyone seriously interested in these rifles NEEDS a copy!

Published by: Scot Duff Pubs.
Box 414, Export, PA 15632
724/327-8246

Printed by: So. Greensburg Printing. Greensburg, PA 15601

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes I have a copy of that book. Your right it's an excellent source of info for those interested in the M 1917 Enfield rifle.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course, I have had a copy since December 2004.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
This one

Some 1917 Enfield trivia: you damn sure do need to use the right tool for the job when removing an original barrel. I watched a 'smith break my action last week.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote