THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    What I'm huntin' with- Springfield 03's

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What I'm huntin' with- Springfield 03's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's a couple of springfield sporters, sorry the pictures aren't better. These are my primary and backup for deer hunting this year. The first one is probably the best deal I ever got, $450 if I remember right, included installing the pad and rechambering it to 308 norma mag, included the 7x fixed power Leupold.

has the factory barrel, hard to tell from the picture but somebody spent some time on it, finish is beautiful. Has a kick-eze and a mark II style safety, timney trigger.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Second one is in 06, initially purchased for my wife, back when she was my girlfriend and pretended to be interested in shooting. I bought it because the price was good and it had a brake. I used it to take a pig, emptied the magazine and immediately had the brake cut off (immediate in gunsmithing time being 2-3 years). before I had it cut it shot a 1/2" group at 100yds for me, and I'm not a great shot.

also military barrel, wisner 2 position safety, just mounted a 2.5-8x scope on it. stock is 60's style but surprisingly comfortable to shoot only thing I don't like is instead of checkering it has some weird circle indentations.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
initially purchased for my wife, back when she was my girlfriend and pretended to be interested in shooting.

LOL, yours did that to you too, huh? rotflmo

My wife did the same to me...hunted with me, shot with me, I even bought her a rifle...featherweight 7x57...then we got married. No more hunting with me, no more shooting with me...
Oh, well, ya gotta love 'em anyway!!! Big Grin

Oh, BTW - VERY nice rifles!! tu2

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles! I'll bet it took a loooong time to put the fish scales on the second one. Smiler

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the thing, must have taken a while, I can't imagine wasting that time. Smiler other than that the rifles great.

If I'd known it was going to come to me I probably would have spent some more money and bought her the featherweight in 7x57, my stepbrother has one and it's a real gem.

Red

-Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one in .308 Norma Mag is about all you would ever need. How many "back up" deer rifles do you need?

I like both of them and don't even find the fish scales offensive, a little odd but I could live with it.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I need backups of backups!!! I joke with my brothers that I'm bringing 3 backups! shocker

The reality is that if I'm two states away I don't want an rifle problem of any sort to impact my hunt. I'm a believer in if you have it you won't need it, if you don't you will. or "better to have and not need than need and not have". Big Grin

The 06 is my main hunting rifle for CA this year because I can buy factory lead free ammo for it (just arrived yesterday two boxes of superformance).

The norma is going to be throwing 180 grain northforks.

Looks aside that fish scale actually is a good grip and not uncomfortable at all.

Thanks for the comments guys.

-Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles, particularly the .308 Norma mag. I have a special spot in my heart for Springfield sporters. I have two made by my father. One, a .30-06 that is probably original equipment, except that the bolt handle has been replaced to accommodate a scope and another a .25-06 that has been rebarrled with a medium weight 24" barrel chambered in .25-06. I'm taking the .30-06 elk hunting next week. Both rifles shoot very accurately and are very beautiful, in my judgment. Nicely done walnut stocks shaped by my dad. He may have bought a rough inletted blank to begin with, but the shaping is his.

Where did you buy the .308? At a gun show? At a pawn shop?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Red: That first rifle of yours is one of the nicest sporters I have seen.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
quote:
only thing I don't like is instead of checkering it has some weird circle indentations.

Actually kind of different. Kind of like it.

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've got a sim. one, to your first rifle.. but in 300 win.. i bought it for 85 bucks, in 30-06, but with buehler bases, and about a 10" lop.. walked around, found a bishop stock for 10 bucks, recoil pad for 2, and got a timney trigger for 20? a friend chambered and opened boltface for 85.. and i "cold blued it".. i think i was 26 at the time...

i've since replaced the pad, added a nikon scope, and hot blued it myself...

still hoots sub moa , and is a fun memory to boot

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38357 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Nice Springfields Dago.. tu2

Mine is a re-bbled 06, The old bbl was toast, I gained nearly 300 fs with the new one and love it..

I am in the process of refinishing the stock, it is fiddleback maple with black walnut forend tip and grip cap..

I have the same sickness.. When I go hunting my buddies look at me and say, "Which rifles are you using this year"? But the good ole '06 with 180 grainers usually gets the nod for Elk..

Posts: 10108 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles

My wife never shot a gun before we where going togather.

She has shot her deer every year for the past 30 we have been married. And Shes a very good pistol shot.

She doesn't shoot a lot but hits what she shoots at.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just came across a sporter in 338 mag. Not knowning much about 03s, I was wondering how they held up when opened up to magnum calibers. I see a couple 300 mags here. Any problems with strength assuming it is done right?