Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Carcano
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I've been offered a nice little, partially sporterised, Italian carcano for a couple of hundred dollars.I'll probably buy it, it has a " FIELD " brand sidemount on it with a 3-9 scope, a turned down bolt handle and luckily, an uncut full length barrel.........now not being totally familiar with these action, my question is,.....how do you load them with a scope mounted Confused
Can you leave a clip in the action and load bullets in from the top singly like a Mauser, or how is it done ??

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldWell I fitted a 93 Mauser magazine and trigger gaurd to mine -- Problem solved. Send me your E-Mail address and I'll send you photos. Great walk around deer rifle. Killed a 300 # 6 point ( Western ) mule deer among others.Love the Carcano beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just find a 6.5 Swede ? Problem solved. I'd pass on this one. think there was a way of just fixing the clip in the mag slot and you just fed loose rounds into that. But then, you still have that bolt handle to worry about. Carcanos aren't worth any money here, certainly not a couple of hundred.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Grizz, please don't take this the wrong way, as I am trying not to be rude, but I become very annoyed when I see a post on a forum from someone asking for help or information, and all they get is..."don't bother with that, just get one of these "....I have three 6.5 Swedes ( each in different model actions ), a 6.5 Zipper Imp., 6.5 Grendell, a 264 RCBS Mod. 70, and 6.5x54 MS.....now I want a Carcano! If you have nothing constructive to add, please don't reply to the post......I apologise for my rant. Mad

Bartsche, thanks for the offer PM on its way...I hope.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Timing is everything. A friend of a friend is dumping a few rifles. A Carcano, Lebel, M1, etc.
Was thinking about the Carcano.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Timing is everything. A friend of a friend is dumping a few rifles. A Carcano, Lebel, M1, etc.
Was thinking about the Carcano.

WinkDo it and don't look back. flameroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones I have seen (like the one Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly shot JFK with), the side mount scope was not over the bore but offset to the left. This allowed the enbloc clip to be inserted.

quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
I've been offered a nice little, partially sporterised, Italian carcano for a couple of hundred dollars.I'll probably buy it, it has a " FIELD " brand sidemount on it with a 3-9 scope, a turned down bolt handle and luckily, an uncut full length barrel.........now not being totally familiar with these action, my question is,.....how do you load them with a scope mounted Confused
Can you leave a clip in the action and load bullets in from the top singly like a Mauser, or how is it done ??

Roger

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Grizz, please don't take this the wrong way, as I am trying not to be rude, but I become very annoyed when I see a post on a forum from someone asking for help or information, and all they get is..."don't bother with that, just get one of these "....I have three 6.5 Swedes ( each in different model actions ), a 6.5 Zipper Imp., 6.5 Grendell, a 264 RCBS Mod. 70, and 6.5x54 MS.....now I want a Carcano! If you have nothing constructive to add, please don't reply to the post......I apologise for my rant. Mad

Bartsche, thanks for the offer PM on its way...I hope.

Roger

Come on, I was being little light hearted. Wink We all have our projects, dear to our hearts. Just finished building a Garand, don't think parts of that were frustrating.

Bunch of Carcanos imported to Canada at one time, by one of our leading department stores. they were converted to 6.5x 54 and the enbloc clip was permanently mounted in the trigger guard unit, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqTn_MVaIEs

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....no worries Grizz, it was not personal from either side. tu2.....thanks for the youtube links.
After scouring the web, I found a few pics of modified Carano's with detacheable magazines, the best of which was by a Utah based company, Nightowls Gunsmiths. They used what appears to be a commercially made single row box magazine, probably from a Tikka or something similar. This set up would solve a lot of problem, as well as retaining the original "old fashion " look of the rifle.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one I rebarreled to 35 Rem. I have more into the 15-20 clips I've picked up then I do in the rifle. It is a fun cast bullet gun too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Carcano carbine from way back when(50+years). I had a side-mount scope base installed, stuck the whole thing into aa Reinhart-Fajen sporter stock, and came up with a decent little rifle. Biggest problem was/is finding clips and ammo. Actually found a couple of loaded clips for it when I was moving stuff around in the garage.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote