New
Find
Notify
Tools

identify this mauser 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
my friend picked up a mauser 98 we need some help with.
on the left side its stamped fabrica de itajuba - brasil. on the right side front receiver its stamped model 08/34.30.
any idea what cal.? were thinking 7.65 argentine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
??

'06-

"I am not a Mauser expert but a few Googles brought up some information. Brazil standardized on a Mauser rifle in 7x57 in 1908. They made a new purchase of 7mms from CZ in 1934. Brazil used no 8mms that I could tell. They got a lot of M1s from the US in WW II - there were Brazilian troops with us in Italy - and converted a lot of their bolt actions to .30-06 after the war. The stamp on yours 08/34.30 indicates it is one of those."

fabrica de itajuba - brasil

http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/1brazil.html

googled

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin can, thanks for the info. howard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just curious, does the receiver ring have a notch milled in it so the bullet tip can clear when the rifle is being loaded?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don,t think so ,but the next time i see it i will check. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brazilian 08/34.30 short rifle was produced in the Brazilian government arms factory at Itajuba, Brazil to reduce the dependence of foreign supply of arms. the chambering is 30-06 Springfield. I don't believe Brazil ever used the 7.65 Argentine round.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rojelio,

were the 08/34 .30 produced in Brazil. I have one that the front ring looks ground and the new Brazilian crest is stamped a bit off center. Thought is was a reworked 08
Thanks
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the above contained in my first link.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think tin can nailed it. Your rifle was one of 100,500 Brazilian "Mod. 1908/34" 7mm police carbines made on contract by Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka Brno. Many of these were later converted to 30-06 at the Utajuba arms factory, where they were remarked "Mod. 08/34.30."
Source:Robert W.D.Ball, Mauser Military Rifles of the World.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote