Tools

Siam Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle appears to be in very good shape. Is it an 8x52R or have you re-barreled it to another calibre?

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's been rebarreled to 30 US, aka 30-40 Krag.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
dancingNice and clean. Looks like a winner. Do you use the heavy for caliber bullets? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handloads so far have been with some milsurp FMJ 173s, accuracy has been pretty good. I plan on playing with some 200s and 220s and also see how it does with cast bullets.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
This action is so tough that IMHO it deserves a much more powerfull caliber.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many became available in the early '70s .It became a favorite to rebarrel to 45-70. That would take some substantial loads and requires little work beyond rebarrel.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I have considered rebarreling one, and modifying just enough to feed properly, if necessary, to convert it to shoot the 7.62x54R Russian.

I think it would be a great shooter, but the cost would prohibit, when plenty of 308s and 30-06s are available.

Instead, when I got the chance, I bought a barrel for the Encore, chambered for that cartridge. It satisfies the itch very well, and in that platform it's very accurate.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As well as 30-40 and 45-70, I've seen them in 303 Brit and even a 348 Win. Have yet to see one in 54R Russian but have heard that that conversion is somewhat easier than the other choices.

This is one's a 45-70, built from a box of parts that I came across at a gunshow some time back.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
As well as 30-40 and 45-70, I've seen them in 303 Brit and even a 348 Win. Have yet to see one in 54R Russian but have heard that that conversion is somewhat easier than the other choices.

This is my other one in 45-70, built from a box of parts that I came across at a gunshow some time back.

tu2That's what a stock should look like. neat. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! One of these days I'll get around to some bluing and maybe even have it checkered.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Local gunsmith here made some years ago a Win 95 with .338 x 53R AI. I´m thinkin to do same conversion to Siam Mauser...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Siamese actions can be rebarreled to a number of rimmed calibres. I still have 2 Siamese rifles. One still has the military barrel in 8x52 Rimmed calibre. I form brass from 45-70 cases. The fireformed case has slightly more capacity that the std 8x57 mauser. The other I rebarreled to 375/348 Ackley Improved. This is a case that looks very much like rimmed 300 WSM with a longer neck. It gives up less than 100 fps to the 375H&H. With 270 gr bullets this is a thumper that will reach out to 250-300 yds.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a siamese mauser in 45-70. I love it.

Posts: 31 | Location: Western West Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I rebarrelled my siamese mauser with a barrel from a 303 british and simply recut the chamber to 7.62x54R......job done...too easy....and it shoots like a dream! tu2

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
I rebarrelled my siamese mauser with a barrel from a 303 british and simply recut the chamber to 7.62x54R......job done...too easy....and it shoots like a dream! tu2

Roger

Great solution! I've never heard mention of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should try hand loading the original chambering. The 8x52R Siamese with a 154 grain Turk FMJ and flake powder from pulled down 1941 Turk 8x57 pushes 3,000 fps out of my rifle and is quite accurate. It's darn near short magnum class.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobster What cases are you using to load your 8x52 rimmed Siamese loads?? What prep do you do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Buffalo Brass made from .45-70. Cases are first fire formed with a moderate load. Then once formed, they are neck sized only with a LEE Collet Die. I had it custom made by LEE by sending them 2 fired cases and $55 a few years ago. Then I use the LEE Factory Crimp Die. This gives me consistent neck tension. I worked the loads up starting with a 20
% reduction in the 8x57 charge.

quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Bobster What cases are you using to load your 8x52 rimmed Siamese loads?? What prep do you do?

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
craigster:

Who rebarreled it for you?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:

Roger
Brilliant

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
craigster:

Who rebarreled it for you?

A local smith.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! One of these days I'll get around to some bluing and maybe even have it checkered.

ConfusedPersonally I think the checkering will detract from the already beautifully sleek appearance and add little in handling. JMHO beerroger

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, I like the stock configuration. The barrel, looks to be a rebored military?

posted Hide Post
The 350 Remington Magnum also fits the action

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other I rebarreled to 375/348 Ackley Improved. This is a case that looks very much like rimmed 300 WSM with a longer neck.

yes, indeed it would -- you see, there was a line of rounds, which has "dispeared" called HE Mags - High energy Magnums, that did this.. and then cut them rimless, and they were very close to the jamison/wsm/rum line in results --

, and MIGHT HAVE (not to be sued - this is conjecture and not fact nor legal opinion) predated Jamison's work and MIGHT HAVE constituted prior art , and since NOT made from 404 cases, in any way shape or form, might have obviated any claim to unique work ---

interesting thoughts, to say the least

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I got A Siamese Mauser from Sarco a few years ago and looked at yhe barrel I had to keep the original caliber.A little chore to make cases from 45-70 brass but worth ii.Have killed deer with it very well.

Posts: 49 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
The other I rebarreled to 375/348 Ackley Improved. This is a case that looks very much like rimmed 300 WSM with a longer neck.

yes, indeed it would -- you see, there was a line of rounds, which has "dispeared" called HE Mags - High energy Magnums, that did this.. and then cut them rimless, and they were very close to the jamison/wsm/rum line in results --

, and MIGHT HAVE (not to be sued - this is conjecture and not fact nor legal opinion) predated Jamison's work and MIGHT HAVE constituted prior art , and since NOT made from 404 cases, in any way shape or form, might have obviated any claim to unique work ---

interesting thoughts, to say the least

Jeffeosso There were a several people working with short fat cartridges long before Jamison or thw HE mags. Roy Gradle created a line of " Express" cartridges which were formed from 348 cases with the rims turned off and turned into a rimmless case. He had them in 7mm 8mm & 375 that I know of and suspect there was a 30 and 35 cal version as well. John Howell was doing the same thing with the rimmed 348 case. I think he shortened the 348 case slightly. This is all in Ackley's handbooks.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy seeing the wide variety of interests here. This SM thread is a good example. I have one sitting on the bench, action only, headed to be a .450 Alaskan if I ever get off my rear.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:

ConfusedPersonally I think the checkering will detract from the already beautifully sleek appearance and add little in handling. JMHO beer roger

And I think good checkering would just improve an already beautiful stock. And I wouldn't want checkering finer than 18 LPI, so it would still improve grip under wet conditions in the field.

But that's why God invented horse-racing. Gives folks a chance to make their own selection of which seems best to them.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have a really nice Siamese that has been converted to 30-40 and Mannlicher stocked with a Schnabel. Have no idea who did it but he definitely is a craftsman. It too didn't have any checkering or safety when I got it so I installed an FN style safety and Sterling Davenport graciously put a simple checkering pattern on it. It is extremely accurate and a very nice job. There is a write up and pictures under the title 'straight bolt handle' published 19 feb 2006 on this forum. I don't know how to include it here or reference it. It shows what can be done with a Siamese with a cheap piece of wood and take off parts and the commensurate skill this artist has.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the late 1970's Navy Arms sold a lot of Siamese rebarreled in 45-70 and sporter stocked.

iirc, I paid about $140 for the one I had.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote