Find
Notify
Tools

7.65x53 Vergueiro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I have just picked up 7.65x53 1909 Argentine carbine take-off barrel ($100) with the intention of fitting it to a 1904 Portuguese Vergueiro action and fitting the whole lot to a nice little Mannlicher stock, spoon bolt handle, etc, etc.
Other than re-machining the Argy barrel to the small ring and recess for the bolt head, does anyone see any other problems that I may encounter ??

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....and now I can't find my barrel shank drawings Mad .....so, if anyone has dimensions for the Vergueiro and the Argy barrels, I'd really appreciated a copy Big Grin

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go down the page to GUNSMITHING forum and start at the top.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......found a large ring but can't find Vergueiro.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe z1r will speak up. He rebarreled mine to 7x57 and had to thread and face the barrel, if I remember correctly

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
0.980"x12 TPI.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks, being basically a Mannlicher design ,I wasn't sure it would be a small ring thread size. Any other tips before I start hacking into the barrel ?

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
That will be one cool carbine. Great re-purpose! Remember, SARCO has NOS 8x57 Verguiero BBLs for $50. No machining. You could save the 7.65 bbl for a M98 project.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/verg...smallringew2334.aspx

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.......picked up a 7.65x53 carbine barrel from Roger Vardy for $100.......its happening !

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......ongoing saga....does anyone have a Vergueiro action,or rifle that they could measure the width of the gap in the top at the rear of the action where the bolt slides forward and back.....mine is quite loose and I'm wondering if the action may be slightly sprung.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....OK, got the info I needed to re-machine the 'argy barrel, so its all go....also picked up an old BRNO small ring stock, so I'll re-inlet it to suit until I get time to make a full length stock......

.....shouldn't come out too bad....

....sorry about the crappy pics Roll Eyes

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider that the barrel breech will require machining that may affect the amount of barrel shoulder you will have left to fit to the receiver shoulder.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
The large ring thread will turn down to the small ring size, then counterbore for the bolt head, the Vergueiro thread is shorter than the 1909.
The chamber will then have to be deepened to compensate for the bolt head counterbore.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Its been a while, but I've fitted the barrel to the action, so now its time for sights, scope mount ( something similar to the South African one pictured below ), a fairly thick recoil pad ( mainly for the LOP as I have Orangutan arms ) and a few finishing touches. It was never intended to be a beauty queen, just the best use of bits that were at hand......

....maybe a lever floorplate release, and a spoon bolt handle....

As the cartridge is basically a rimless 303, I have some .312 150gr SP's that should work nicely. Although its called a 1909 Argentine carbine barrel,its still 22" long, and the bare rifle weighs just over 6 lbs.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Time for the acid test...just ordered 200 165gr hard cast projectiles for the Vergueiro, so now I need some starting loads....anyone have some favourite loads for the 165's at about 2200 fps ??.....anything ?...any info gratefully accepted, or at least tested Wink

Roger

P.S. I know very little about this cartridge,other than historical, so any information loading and performance wise would be appreciated.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Great project and cartridge!

Years ago I found that 40 grs of IMR 4064 with the Hornady 150 gr .312" bullet made a very mild, accurate load for the 7,65 Mauser in an 1891 Argentine. I didn't have a chronograph back then, but the Hornady manual showed about 2500 fps in a 29 inch barrel.

As far as comparisons, think .308 Winchester or even better the .300 Savage; they are about the same capacity and will show similar loading results, as with the .303. Stick with 300 Savage level loads and your Vergueiro should be very happy.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind an odd ball you can machine the barrel shank to shorten the 2.1 Mauser chamber to match the length of 7.62 NATO brass. This would permit making cases by forming Nato brass without any trimming or use of longer brass.8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You’ve seen mine before, but I’m happy to post it again. Mine now sports a 7x57 barrel.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done bolt handle!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
... And the sights and the stock.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r did the bolt and barrel and I had the barreled action cerakoted locally. The stock is from inthe10ring over on Mausercentral.net. The sights are NECG Masterpiece series.

The stock is still a work in progress...when I get time!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net