New
Find
Notify
Tools

Even a blind pig can find an acorn !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Stopped by the Pawn Shop and there amid the ARs and AKs sat this dust covered sporterized 03.
The counterman said is was "an old 1903 30-06 with a rusty bore and a scope of questionable quality all for $250.00". The scope was a Burris 3-12 Signature USA and the action a nickel steel one. Figured it could be parted out for more than $250.
Took it home and got out the cleaning box. All was not as described.
Turned out the rifle had been fitted with an 03A3 4 groove Remington bbl, converted to 300 WinMag, with a filthy but unrusted bore. The Burris signature USA scope's lenses turned out to be perfect and it and the mount look brand new.
After a few hours with Hoppes and JB bore shine, the bore looked 99.9% and the no go headspace gauge would not go. Loaded up 20 new cases with a moderate load of W760 and 165 Nosler BTs. A quick bore sighting and a few @ 50 put me on the paper. Out to 100 and 3 5 shot groups all 1" or less. You just never know what lurks amid the garbage !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great find!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Great score, love deals like that.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks idid okay but when one already has four 30 caliber magnum rifles one wonders why did I do this ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
...because you could! I would have.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I wouldn't particularly care to shoot that cartridge, still was a darn good find/buy. Congrats!

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huff, suggest you talk with Macs B about how many American snipers are using the 300 WinMag and how well it works on terrorists. Hard to imagine why anyone would "not care to shoot it" as it works as well as its great grandpa (the 300 H&H) and its pappy (the 308 Norma). Even this old pawn shop relic shoots sub MOA with a military action, trigger and barrel .... a scope that is at least 14 years old with a blind old man behind it.
Will well outrange a 308 and is far nicer to shoot that a 338 Lapua. Long after the 300 WSM and 300 SAUM have joined the 30 Remington, there will still be 300 WinMags doing what they do best. Noticed there is now an AR in 300 WinMag .... can't wait to see that rung out in a test.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
And I know no one else but me would care, BUTTttt, I would probably have bought it just because it appears properly drilled for a Lyman 48 receiver sight. That suggests to me the person who built it or had it built was probably a knowledgeable hunter or across-the-course target shooter.

Also looks as if it has a Model70-type safety conversion and a nicely done bolt re-forging to clear scopes. Whoever did it put a lot of knowledge and a chunk of money into the rifle.

Both of those lead to a further guess that it was likely put together correctly and well.

That also appears to be a very nice stock...good pistol grip, correct height (for me) Monte Carlo, a properly installed Pachmyer recoil pad, and rather decent checkering. I think you really "done good"!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Beautiful find Sir! Congratulations.

I wouldn't mind bring that blind pig to my neck of the woods so that we could go "truffle" hunting.

lc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will probably get the scope and rings taken off and the gun w/base put on the net for sale next spring. Too many projects on guns I want to keep to bother with one that would never be hunted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
would you consider selling it "AS is"?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote