Tools

P17
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

This is a P17 Eddystone (yeah, i know) converted to a .338

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it. I have had (still have actually) quite a few P14/M17 sporters, only had on Eddystone that wasn't usable. I recall discussing their suitability with a few people, most had not had any issues, a few had. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a P-14 rechambered to .300 Win. mag, and a M17 still in '06. Neither is an Eddystone, but I really don't think any of the makes should be problematic if properly worked on. Other than being a bit heavy, they are great guns.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with Eddystones; not sure why the slams on them. I have heard the stories... Used several of them with no issues.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Enfield' can be made into nice rifles with those big strong actions

I have a Remington M17 that's been sporterized to a model 30 configuration. Ive often thought I'd like to make it into a low budget big bore. Maybe something like a 404 Jeffery.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Go for it; don't wait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Remington M17 that's been sporterized to a model 30 configuration. Ive often thought I'd like to make it into a low budget big bore. Maybe something like a 404 Jeffery.

Didn't Guns & Ammo magazine do their .475 G & A "custom" some forty years ago on an Model 1917/Pattern '14 rifle action?

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
They certainly can be built into real gems

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Always enjoy seeing that picture of those two rifles. Smiler

The Enfield must have been a great military rifle in use. Pretty hard for a soldier to break such a rugged beast. Though I can understand why the US preferred the Springfield on looks alone.

By low budget big bore I mean real low budget. Like leave the cock on close system and the dogleg bolt alone. Then put it into either a plain wood or maybe a synthetic stock - done!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
They certainly can be built into real gems

That Sir is one beautiful rifle!

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Enfield must have been a great military rifle in use.

The Pattern '14? No, it's shit COUGARZ, believe me. I've owned one, used one and also owned and used the SMLE and No 4. I shot my first No 4 some forty-five years ago.

On the Pattern '14 the bolt throw is too long, it slips from the shoulder under rapid fire, and it's overall length is too long and it's balance is shit. And unlike the SMLE the barrel on the Psattern '14 doesn't auto-compensate for shots beyond six hundred yards.

The Springfield '03 isn't much better in terms of bolt manipulation and magazine capacity but at least its a better balance than the Model 1917.

Also you can't change on the Pattern '14 the butt stock to accommodate tall users or short users and the bolt is a bastard to manipulate for rapid fire.

With the SMLE you can work the bolt with the thumb and first finger and fire the trigger with the second finger. Ten shots in ten seconds.

Oh...and re the above ten shots in ten seconds the Pattern '14 only holds five rounds as against the ten of the SMLE No1 Mk III that was the then British service weapon.

We, the British, trialled it in 1913 and but for World War One (that started for us in 1914 and not 1917) it would have become our service rifle.

World War One proved that the SMLE was of all the rifles used in that war the best of all of them for the standard infantry soldier.

It's ONLY good points were that it had an aperture rear sight and that the bayonet attached to the strongest part...the barrel. The No4 addressed and remedied both those defects of the SMLE.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, that Sir is one fine looking 1917!

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old "M"17

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch , really ! Really nice , just not a mauser .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary, it really is a Mod 1917 Enfield.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Gary, it really is a Mod 1917 Enfield.

Mr. Lambert,

That is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen Sir.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not a Mauser? No, it is better than the Mauser, from which it is copied (the 93) of course. Now, some may not like the military stock shape; fine.
BUT, as for the action length and design, don't forget that it was not designed for the .303 cartridge, nor the 30-06; it was designed for the 276 Enfield, a large magnum sized cartridge. WW1 came along and they had to convert it to .303, and later, to 30-06, in a rush, so that is why the action is bigger than needed for those smaller cartridges. . Also, remember that the factories in England were busy making the #!s, so the Pattern 14s were made in the USA.
Now, is the SMLE a better battle rifle?; I think so; but back to the 276 concept.
Nice rifle and great action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm very proud of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know exactly what it is , it's just a personal joke with Butch . I've been trying to get him down to sunny HUMID florida to get a look at some Mausers . Nothing of his quality , not near , but I do make up for it in quantity. Too many , way too many and I'm not getting any younger and after a stupid fall a few months ago , I realized what would happen to the 985 Mausers I have . Or is it 987 , I get confused . Most , if my wife follows my wishes , get donated to the few gun smith schools remaining . That is if they even work on Mausers anymore !
Gary

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary, You probably know as much as anybody about mausers. I have to dig you a little.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That is a handsome rifle, Butch. I particularly like the stock treatment at the front of the magazine.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
That is a handsome rifle, Butch. I particularly like the stock treatment at the front of the magazine.

Thanks. James Anderson does a great job and the Australian walnut is the best.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Butch, that is simply a stunner. What caliber?
My first centerfire rifle was an Eddystone dad bought me from Sears for $29. This would have been about 1966.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a 416 Rigby

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Butch: That's as near perfection as I can imagine. Congratulations!

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch that's beautiful, just one request: Lets see the other side now!

I bought my first Eddystone in '58 for $15, still have it yet. Now it's a .300Win, gotta have an '06, had another built into a .358U/M, two years ago, gunsmith called yesterday and I missed his call. Expect the .243 on another Eddystone is ready to be picked up.

I do replace the triggers with Timney's, and cock on open, leave the dogleg alone I like 'em.
Just a decent stock, nothing fancy like this one.

IMO the safety's are the best ever invented that's a major reason I like 'em so well.

Thanks for sharing,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Any long term issues when using a big high pressure round like 338 or 375 Cheytac? I know people have done it, along with even more powerful rounds. I just don't like to gamble.

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just re-barreled one for a client; it started life as a 338-378KT and is now on its second barrel in 338 Lapua. Can't imagine it having less than 2K rouds through it and still smooth and tight.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Butch that's beautiful, just one request: Lets see the other side now!

I bought my first Eddystone in '58 for $15, still have it yet. Now it's a .300Win, gotta have an '06, had another built into a .358U/M, two years ago, gunsmith called yesterday and I missed his call. Expect the .243 on another Eddystone is ready to be picked up.

I do replace the triggers with Timney's, and cock on open, leave the dogleg alone I like 'em.
Just a decent stock, nothing fancy like this one.

IMO the safety's are the best ever invented that's a major reason I like 'em so well.

Thanks for sharing,
George

The other side

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What has to be done to one of those to change it from cock on close to cock on open.

Was the rear tang replaced on that one.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
What has to be done to one of those to change it from cock on close to cock on open.

Was the rear tang replaced on that one.

If you are speaking of mine, both top and bottom tangs are extended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
375: Your pictures won't open for me. I'd like to see your guns.

Butch: ah damn, I'm disappointed in no Dog Leg!
I was hoping to see you hadn't changed it. Lovely rifle though and still has the humped floor plate.

Wish I could post pictures. Would share mine. All about as near alike as can be made except .358U/M is much larger and lots heavier the way I wanted it.

Mostly it's just changing the firing pin assy. to one made for cock on opening. Brownell's sells them for about $60.

Never had a problem with any Eddystone. This .243 was made on another action far as I know. Don't know for sure what it is yet, need to ask the gunsmith. I gave him 3 actions and box of parts to chose from as they were all apart.

Don't know what I'll do with the rest, these four rifles are all I have wanted. One for sure is a P14 Win.

Buddy brought his new bore scope over a month ago. Ran it thru several barrels. The one on the 300 I've had 60 years is a real mess. Alligatored clear to the muzzle. I ordered a new tube for it, should have that about Dec-Jan.

Hell of it is, this original 1918 barrel still shoots 1" groups of 5 with 200gr Game Kings. I've had it so hot quite a few times shooting p/dogs that if it had been dark I'd bet the barrel would of glowed pink. I've blistered my hand many a time on it. Looking down the bore, I can barely see any rifling. Amazing it still shoots. Those years I shot 110gr RN's loaded hot as hell by the thousands as a kid.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George-
If you can PM or e-mail photos to me, I can post them for you.

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer. I only have a few on my cell phone. Camera's were stolen and not replaced.

IF you can swap 'em from that, and send me a pm or text so I have your number I'll take more and send 'em by text. I don't have them on the computer.

Thank you,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Text message sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some pics from George.

Top to bottom: .243 Winchester, .300 Winchester magnum, .30-'06.

On the bottom: 358 Ultra Mag. I'm jealous.

George and his oldest son.

Nice rifles, George. I'm a big fan of the 1917 Enfield.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly sir.

Man, those are out of focus!
Taken with a cheap w/m cell ph.
Might be I didn't hold it steady too.

Correction, youngest son.

Come up and shoot this sucker and it'll take the jealousy right out of you!

My starting load was: 90gr 4828, 250gr, 15 shot avg: 2886fps. I have test loads ready up to 100gr. Just haven't felt good enough to go shoot 'em this year. Am fighting intense back pains again.

This .358 ultra mag was built especially for a trip to Australia buff cull shoot. Then I got sick and don't look like I'll ever make it now.

Appreciate you posting these. Sorry they're not better quality.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to sell the 358 some day, I am interested. Some day. Not today. I got hit with a lot of bills recently. Bummer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan to keep these four as a set til I die. Then my buddy gets 'em if he outlives me.

You'd crap your panties to know what I have in that one!

You can build one for yourself a whole lot cheaper than this one ended up. IF I'd known he was going to charge that much I wouldn't have done it.
Sent details by e'm

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles George.