Find
Notify
Tools

Mosin Nagant carbine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Has anyone built a short barrelled (18"), mannlicher stocked carbine on a Mosin Nagant??
I don't mean the usual shortened military stock but a full custom job, all I seem to be able to find (on the net)are cut down milsups or pseudo scouts.
At the moment I'm waiting for my barrelled action to arrive so I can start on mine........so, any pics or ideas for inspiration would be appreciated

P.S. Some mates and I are organising a vintage only hunting weekend....old rifles, old calibres, open sights or low power vintage scopes only....should be interesting....we may not hit much but we're sure to enjoy ourselves Big Grin

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....beautiful rifle, but no-one seems to do them in a full wood Confused

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to one project:

http://surplusrifleforum.com/v...ic.php?f=82&t=113024

It has some good ideas for the bolt and magazine. Richards Microfit of California makes a Mannlicher stock. I'm not sure if you can get those shipped to you though. You could get a regular wood semi-inlet and graft on a fore end as the German 'smiths did back in the day.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
An interesting and informative article bobster, especially the handloadig, but not exactly a "sporting" rifle......in my opinion, the magazine hanging down is what makes it distinctive.Imagine cutting the magazine off an early mannlicher......but thats just my personal preference, thanks for the link.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link on a Mannlicher project, albeit in a lengthened synthetic stock:

http://surplusrifleforum.com/v...=82&t=92835&start=15

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......getting close....needs to be "blued steel and walnut",but thats the general idea tu2

Roger

nearly midnight here, so thats me done for the night!