THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    My new Remington 1903 sporter in .257 Roberts AI, with an interesting barrel stamp.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new Remington 1903 sporter in .257 Roberts AI, with an interesting barrel stamp.
 Login/Join

posted
I found this pretty nicely sporterized Remington 1903 at a local gun store with a pre-WWII commercial reticle Ziess Zielvier (that unfortunately the prior owner electropenciled his DL and SS number on to along with the floor plate).

What is this stamped on the barrel?

From what I can gather this gun was rebarreled by Ackley sometime in the early 1950s. I think that is pretty darn cool. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn straight it is pretty darn cool. Great rifle AND scope. Pay over a $100?

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:

You are absolutely kidding right?

In this neck of the woods the rifle would be (over priced but) four times that sans scope.
I'm not sure what the scope adds.
There are no deals in the Colorado Springs area anymore..
If you find that stuff for a hundred bucks in your area then I'm coming to visit.
By the way I'm a big eater and I love beer so stock up.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ole Miss Guy:

Ah, yes. $325 OTD and I knew that was as a steal even before I found out PO Ackleys physical connection to this gun.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes you got a great deal!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great find. What a piece of gun history.

It would be great to know the background behind it.

Well done.

EVOC ONE

Posts: 18 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 22 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would be willing to bet one could find another floor plate in approximately the same condition.

Poof, it is complete and ready to go sans personal info from a previous owner.

Just a thought.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice grab! I would just put a different floor plate on it. Don't know what to say about the numbers on the scope; hide them with black tape when you take it out in public? Polish them out and rust blue the scope?

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
send the scope to Gil Parsons. He can refinish it and it will look like the day it left Ackley's shop.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
send the scope to Gil Parsons. He can refinish it and it will look like the day it left Ackley's shop.

Mr. Parsons has passed away.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll refinish the floorplate next time I set up to blue something, probably in a few weeks when I start working on the well worn, also electropenciled( Mad , not the same guy, rack numbers from what I can gather) S&W M1917 I picked up.

As far as the scope goes, I switched it out with another, modern scope to protect the vintage Ziess. I have contacted a few places that refurbish classic steel tube scopes and have either been told they don't work on euro scopes or quoted prices nearly as much (or more) than the scope is worth in good, original condition so I will probably just leave it as is.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's PO's SSN and DL on the floorplate. Eeker

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
That "P.O.Ackley" on the barrel could just be the cartridge / caliber stamping put on by a smith that chambered the gun. It is common to stamp the new barrel with the new cartridge designation.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You can easily draw file the electro-penciling off the floorplate without much work. Using cold blue, you can probably closely replicate the remaining blueing to match.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote