Find
Notify
Tools

modified cocking piece ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Just saw a pic of a 46A Husqvarna ( M96 style ) in 9.3x57 on the Simsons website that had the raised bit of the cocking piece ( the little checkered piece sticking up at the very back )ground off and radiused to match the rear of the shroud.......wouldn't this effect the firing pin impact or something ???????
It looks very nice, but I would have thought it would have an effect on something........any thoughts??????

.....also the safety has been removed.....which is okay, if you have an aftermarket trigger/safety unit......

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No it won't. That little checkered piece is a misguided attempt to put a decocker on it, but if you have ever tried it, it flat won't work; your thumb will be smashed whilst the firing pin falls and if it is loaded (Never do that) on a live primer and fires. Bad idea all around. Note that no other Mauser has this feature except the Mexican, and theirs works, Also note that our 1903 Springfield has a knob that allows decocking.
This one is someone's attempt at beauty; failing miserably.
I forgot to add; the standard 98 Mausers all (most) have that little groove in the right back side of the cocking piece; that is to put a cartridge rim into and pull the cocking piece back. In Lieu of raising the bolt handle, which, in the days of less than perfect cartridge making, might be a bad thing in case of a hang fire. Not something we think about these days when designing rifles.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a 96 and a 46 both have had their cocking piece "bobbed" with absolutely no ill effects, never a misfire.
I also converted them both to cock on open, not that that matters.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are twice too heavy, and slow, as they are so cutting them off only makes them work better.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Now I'm second guessing myself, can't remember if my second Mauser is a 46 or a 640? It has the solid left side, no thumb cut.
I guess it matters not...

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's the most elegant solution I have seen to the problem of the 96 cocking piece.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Would removing the original thumb piece and replacing it with a Springfield/Mexican style "knob" bring it back to the same "too heavy" stage or be an improvement, both mechanically and aesthetically ?

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The problem with the pre 98 Mausers is mostly the long firing pin fall, about double that of the 98; about one inch. Add the Swedish knurled knob to it and that makes things worse. So if you removed the thumb piece and add a round knob to it, that wouldn't help or hurt anything.
It would allow one to re cock the firing pin in case of a misfire, which in this day and age, never happens.
When I use a Swedish action, I just leave things alone.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....wheres the fun in that ?? Cool

Roger