New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 enfield rear ring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a well done 1917 enfield am going to convert to 375, the rear ring was surfaced ground and sides were flattened to look hexagon, the smith who performed this many decades ago was quite the machinist as most modified enfields the rear ring is quite horrible. problem is the ring is same heighth as front ring but the rear is flat, if i put scope bases on i need a base that is radiuused in the front and flat on the rear, are there any massed produced actions that are like this, i looked at some bases at the gun shop and a weatherby and savage 10 appeared radiused on front and flat on rear, as always any input would be appreciated and yes before i get lectured I do not modify collector grade parts and they should be restored, only worked with bubba's attempt at gunsmithing and there should be laws against it

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
No lectures here. That's why it is the "Sporterized Military Rifle" Forum.

As for the description, I personally don't know of any commercial receivers with the shape. But that is me.

As far as mounts, the front one should be available if you can find a listing for the 1917 Enfield, Pattern 14 Enfield or Model 30 Remington (I think.) As far as the rear, you may have to engage a machinist or gunsmith to cut an existing base flat and to the height necessary to match the front.

Just my 2 cents. I am sure you will get other answers from folks with much more experience with the action than have I.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't worry; there are still plenty of Enfields out there to butcher. It's the matching Mausers I hate to see chopped.
The answer is; no, but I can make one.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can you tig recoil lug on barrel?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I usually dovetail them in as I just prefer not welding on barrels.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you have a website where i can make contact would like to request cost and time frame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bit of a hijack here.
I need a few small parts for a '17 action.
Five safety pieces,the bottom metal and screws. I have the box mag and he rest.
PM if you have them or even part of my needs.

Thanks, apologize for the hijack.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of bases that was machined for a rear base the same as Mod 70 winchester. If interested let me know.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Bit of a hijack here.
I need a few small parts for a '17 action.
Five safety pieces,the bottom metal and screws. I have the box mag and he rest.
PM if you have them or even part of my needs.

Thanks, apologize for the hijack.
George
I HAVE the straightened bottom metal with mag box. Please email if interested.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1917 remington action that is ready to go with Mauser style bottom metal. Email for [pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how many Yankee dollars you asking for the Remington action?

PM me if you prefer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SW..check your PM's

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get a gun smith to make me a set of bases for it with whatever rings I liked. In my case it would probably be Talleys with low custom bases..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra whiskey:
i have a well done 1917 enfield am going to convert to 375, the rear ring was surfaced ground and sides were flattened to look hexagon, the smith who performed this many decades ago was quite the machinist as most modified enfields the rear ring is quite horrible.

Would you mind posting a photo? I have one that the ears have been ground flat on, but nothing else. I am looking for ideas to attractively shape the rear bridge.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1917 Enfield.

Mine had no duck pond

John Farner cut the ears off and surface ground it. Nick Hughes did the Scope bases.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote