Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these 1903 barrels??
 Login/Join

posted
I just picked up three NOS barrels that were wrapped up and still packed in the military grease. They came from a lot of Garand and Carbine items and I was hoping to find a new barrel for my Garand. Oh well. These appear to be 1903 barrels but they are different. The first barrel pictured is 2 inches shorter that the second. )24 inches overall VS 26 inches overall inclusing the threads). The first barrel is marked SA 11-42 and has a nice Parked finish. The second barrel is marked HS with the flaming bomb proof. Here are some pics. Any help would be great.

***********SECOND BARREL***********

NRA LIFE, HIGH ROCK OUTFITTERS

Posts: 131 | Location: Hanover, PA | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the first is a 1903, the second is a 1903a3. The 1903a3 has a receiver mounted peep as a rear sight, the 1903 has a barrel mounted rear sight.

SA is Springfield Armory
HS is High Standard

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first is a M1903 Springfield barrel.

The second is a M1917 replacement barrel made by High Standard.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

NRA LIFE, HIGH ROCK OUTFITTERS

Posts: 131 | Location: Hanover, PA | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Re manufacturer High Standard. My recollection is HS made all the Smith Corona 1903-A3 barrels as well as replacement barrels like these. I recall reading their barrels are of high quality.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the HS barrels are highly sought after.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HS made some interesting barrels- they must have been pretty busy during the war like everyone else. . I've got one new HS '03 barrel that is finished but never had any sight fitted to it - looks like an 03-A4 barrel - and a couple of the 2 groove A3 barrels they made for Smith Corona. I've got to find a late S-C someday to put one of the barrels on so I'll have a 2 groove S-C to match my Remingtons.

quote:
Originally posted by ikesdad:
Yes, the HS barrels are highly sought after.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Smith-Corona's I've owned have been the most accurate Springfield's I've shot. The have historically had that reputation too.
The LMR barrels on the Garands have the same reputation for accuracy.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote