New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting issue with 1903
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1903 Springfield rifle that was a customization done by a friend many years ago. I think it was done in the 70’s.

He’s not doing the best, health wise, so I decided I would use it to hunt something sooner rather than later.

It’s a beautiful little rifle. Full length (Mannlicher) type stock, and weighs just a hair over 7 pounds scoped and loaded. Kind of a short barrel, but not excessively so. The barrel is USGI, but turned down. Not the most accurate rifle I have... maybe 2.5-3” at 100 yards but certainly capable of minute of deer. Chambered in .30-06, so God’s caliber!!! Bedding looks good, trigger is 3# and crisp, if feeds like a dream.

The first interesting thing is that it shoots the same regardless of ammo. Any 150 grain bullet shoots the same, the 165’s shoot an inch lower than that, and the 180’s 2” below that.

The second thing is that this is the slowest barrel I have ever seen. Loads that shoot right around 3050 FPS in all my other rifles shoot barely 2700 in this one. The Garand target loads that are like 2650 in everything else are under 2250 in this one. Doesn’t matter the powder, bullet, or factory load, everything is 2-3” and 3-400 FPS slower.

I’m assuming it has something to do with this particular barrel, but on the Borescope it doesn’t look different than anything else (other than the number of grooves) and the brass looks the same as anything else....

Obviously, a 150 grain bullet doing 2500-2600 with 3” groups at 100 yards will kill a whitetail. I’m reluctant to rebarrel given my friend made the thing, and it’s a classic example of US early 70’s custom work. Is there something I am overlooking that is obvious that can remedy either the velocity issue, the accuracy issue or both?

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What vintage Springfield/ Just curious; High or low number, or nickel steel.
Original barrel or a replacement?
Check the throat; has it been lengthened? Possible reason for it being slow.
I would check the stock as a source of less than stellar accuracy; easiest way is to put the barreled action into a regular sporter stock and see if there is an improvement.
Bedding on Mannlichers is tricky.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a Remington 401447X.

Original barrel.

Doesn't look long throated.

The barrel is free floated.

I suppose I could swap it into a service stock- I don't have any other sporter stocks for a 1903.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one you could try

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, that is not a 1903; it is a 1903A3. Is it a two groove or 4? not that that matters. They usually shoot well.
Try a different stock. Not a service stock; they still bear on the muzzle and can introduce issues like a Mannlicher; or they can work well.....
Slow nature of it?; try a different bullet; slug the bore; might be a big one. Worse case, rebarrel it, or live with it.
Get one from JK; you both are in Minnesota and it isn't that big...

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried everything from 150’s to 220’s in it.

Every brand of bullet I’ve got- Barnes (which actually are slower than the rest), Berger, Bearclaws, Hornady, Nosler, woodleigh, GI surplus, Remington, Speer, Sierra, Winchester, a dozen different factory loads...

Jim, I will take you up on that stock this winter.

I kind of think I will just live with the slow barrel. If I can improve accuracy without changing too much, I will. It’s more a sentimental piece than anything. I’ve got a bunch of 06’s that shoot very well, so I’m going to try and whack a mulie with it for Larry this fall, and worry about it later. I had just hoped someone would say something that made me smack my head and go Duh!

As it is, the velocities are like a .30-40 which killed deer fine for decades... not what it should be, but good enough for now.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
So I have an old 760 Remington that has been shot for 40 years. It is slow because it is worn. Still very accurate. I simply added powder until the velocity I wanted was there. Though not linear, there is a predictable relationship between pressure and velocity in any given barrel.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I have a 1903 Springfield rifle that was a customization done by a friend many years ago. I think it was done in the 70’s.

He’s not doing the best, health wise, so I decided I would use it to hunt something sooner rather than later.

It’s a beautiful little rifle. Full length (Mannlicher) type stock, and weighs just a hair over 7 pounds scoped and loaded. Kind of a short barrel, but not excessively so. The barrel is USGI, but turned down. Not the most accurate rifle I have... maybe 2.5-3” at 100 yards but certainly capable of minute of deer. Chambered in .30-06, so God’s caliber!!! Bedding looks good, trigger is 3# and crisp, if feeds like a dream.

The first interesting thing is that it shoots the same regardless of ammo. Any 150 grain bullet shoots the same, the 165’s shoot an inch lower than that, and the 180’s 2” below that.

The second thing is that this is the slowest barrel I have ever seen. Loads that shoot right around 3050 FPS in all my other rifles shoot barely 2700 in this one. The Garand target loads that are like 2650 in everything else are under 2250 in this one. Doesn’t matter the powder, bullet, or factory load, everything is 2-3” and 3-400 FPS slower.

I’m assuming it has something to do with this particular barrel, but on the Borescope it doesn’t look different than anything else (other than the number of grooves) and the brass looks the same as anything else....

Obviously, a 150 grain bullet doing 2500-2600 with 3” groups at 100 yards will kill a whitetail. I’m reluctant to rebarrel given my friend made the thing, and it’s a classic example of US early 70’s custom work. Is there something I am overlooking that is obvious that can remedy either the velocity issue, the accuracy issue or both?

I would just consider it a nice .300 Savage and leave it alone. It will still get the job done.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nowhere near the knowledge of the members who've already weighed in, so I can't offer any insights on your problem, sorry. Which makes me feel pretty sheepish for asking, but..... Any chance you could post a couple of pictures? I'm really curious to see what this rifle looks like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it managed to get me some venison. Not too hard a shot to make, maybe 125 yards.

Montana public land Mule deer.

Here is a closer view of the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, looks like an Ahlman's checkering job

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle, and thank you for the pictures!