Find
Notify
Tools

M93 Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
I'm about to start modifying a '93 mauser into a 7x57 Mannlicher stocked sporter. All I have at the moment is the complete action/bolt/ trigger guard assembly.
I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me....
First thing is the serial number...OT-52XXX....no crown on the reciever ( it may have been ground, it is D&T ) no other markings, it does have the oval port on the left side of the reciever...
Next is the magazine box...it's stepped at the front, has holes in the side and has a stop block in the front so a 7x57 won't fit, see below

Any ideas ?? Confused

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Roger: You have a small ring Spanish Mauser that has been modified around 1916 by drilling a hole in the side of the receiver and bolt to relieve gas pressure in the event of a cartridge failure. The magazine box is for the modification to the 7.62 x 51 cartridge not to be confused with the higher pressure .308 Win. cartridge. The box geometry has been altered and the block placed in the front to allow the proper feeding. You should replace the trigger guard with a 7 x 57 one. Make sure you get the 7 x 57 follower too since the one you have will be too short. I would recommend a new magazine spring too. Lots of work goes into making these into nice sporters. You have to consider a new barrel, sporter trigger, low swing safety, welded turned down bolt handle, drilled and tapped for scope mount, mount, rings, and scope. Your choice of stock would mean a barrel of about 21 inches and the you need a proper metal barrel cap of the Mannlicher style. Not to rain on your project, but you may wish to consider a large ring small thread 98 Mauser for your start. i still have a number of "93" sporters that I just had to make. I do not have a Mannlicher stocked one. Good luck with your project. Find a Mauser mentor that loves small ring mausers and has lots of parts.

Posts: 33 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 31 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It was converted to the 7.62 CETME; same dimensions as the 7.62X51 Nato, but much less pressure. Make sure the receiver is not set back in the locking lug seats, which can happen when they are fired with 7.62 or 308 ammo. Spanish receivers are soft but plenty good for normal 7x57 loads.
Just remove the block in the front; the mag will still work.
Mannllichers should have barrels no longer than 19 inches to look good, For me. Built a few.....In fact I have one on the bench now; a 96 Swede with a 444 Marlin barrel on it. Why? Just because. I got it to feed which was fun. I can email you pics if you want. PM me.
Large ring, small thread Mauser? Only common one is the Turk 38; very good actions. No reason to limit it to those, though.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you for the reply. I've built a few Mannlicher stocked rifles and yes, 19" is about the limit on barrel length to look right. tu2

Actually I only wanted to know about the mag box for my own edification as I've never seen one before and couldn't find any information on it. thanks again. This box will be used on my 6.5x55BJAI M96 as it has the hinged floor plate with push button release and the '96 box will go on the '93. They are interchangeable with a small mod to the trigger slot.

dpcd, I will take you up on your offer and send you a PM, anything out of the ordinary intrigues me. Big Grin

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never do ordinary.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It was converted to the 7.62 CETME; same dimensions as the 7.62X51 Nato, but much less pressure. Make sure the receiver is not set back in the locking lug seats, which can happen when they are fired with 7.62 or 308 ammo. Spanish receivers are soft but plenty good for normal 7x57 loads.
Mannllichers should have barrels no longer than 19 inches to look good, For me. Built a few.....In fact I have one on the bench now; a 96 Swede with a 444 Marlin barrel on it. Why? Just because. I got it to feed which was fun. I can email you pics if you want. PM me.
Large ring, small thread Mauser? Only common one is the Turk 38; very good actions. No reason to limit it to those, though.

FrownerI sporterized a 1916 for one of my sons. In a short period of time it developed set back using off the shelf .308 ammo. Complete waste.

thumbdownroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, that is what happens; they were not intended for that kind of pressure. About 40K psi max.
That does show that soft receivers are pretty safe; they give you lots of warning when they are going bad. Unlike a hard/brittle one, which just blows apart without warning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend gave be a semi sporter after another friend gave it to him.

It wouldn't stay on a 8x11 at 50 yards.

I pulled it out of the stock and the insides were completely a mess cracks and slivers every where.

The in sides are now 90 percent accu-glass from the action tang to 3 inches in front of the receiver.

It then would barely hit a 8x11 with some evidence of key holing.

I looked at the barrel the muzzle end was missing all the rifling for about 2 inches.

I cut it back to 17.5 inches recrown it slimed the stock down put a scout scope on it.

Now it shoots 139gr hornadays at 2400 into one hole groups at 50 yards.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2Good show PDS. claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
tu2Good show PDS. claproger beer

Its one of my two loaner rifles some one can't hurt it to bad.

But I did watch a young lad drop it onto the scope that's worth way more then the rifle it's self.

I also have a 99jap in 300sav that only feeds one round from the mag. so its a two shot.

Looks like some one used a pipe wrench to put the barrel on. Open sites it well put 165 rems into a inch at 50 yards. Cut down military stock pick it up at a gun show for 30 dollars another great loaner gun.

Posts: 19349 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Maybe, but verify. The .308/7.62x51 is wider at the shoulder so to get the cases to stack the sides of the mag box were bowed out.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
The action is being used for a 7x57 but the box is going on my 6.5x55 BJAI so the flared sides won't matter. Thanks for the thought Mike.

....by the way, what holds the spacer block in ?

Roger