New
Find
Notify
Tools

enfield action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have an enfield action converting to big bore, question i have is, receiver has dp across the top of the ring, not any markings, the serial number starts with a w, is it still eddystone or could it be a winchester, action had seen bubba gunsmith pretty sure it is a p-14.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DP means it was made in to a drill rifle i.e. no longer serviceable. There were many reasons for non-serviceable status. The W means it was made by Winchester. The P-14 would be marked with a W as part of the serial number. If it was a Model 1917 it would be marked as such and say Winchester. Great action for a long magnum cartridge. I've built 375 H&H, 416 Rigby and even a 45-70 on them.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have built, 416 remington, 378 weatherby, 500 a square, now going for bigger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra whiskey:
i have built, 416 remington, 378 weatherby, 500 a square, now going for bigger

Bigger as in ???

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, went to a gunshow. Dealer there had a P14/M1917 receiver only, no bolt. Had DP lightly stamped on top of it and the 4 digit serial number had a W before it. It still had the rear sight on it and the trigger. Dealer said it was a P14 and was a Winchester.....wanted $100 for it. I had no interest in it, but was tempted to haggle for it for a shooting buddy who would probably want it for a future big bore build.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search for "DP" on the Forum. There was a thread on it recently. DP is usually done on rifles that somewhere they have failed the British Army armourer's gauge test or examination

So the barrel may be overbore, the firing pin protrusion not correct and etc., etc.. In some cases these faults will not affect it as a slave action for a project rifle.

In other cases there will be safety issues with the action or the bolt where the thing is, in truth as its markings say, fit only for drill purposes.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picked up a p-14 a while back that bubba had re-barreled to 30-30WCF. Didn't do a very good job 'cause it doesn't feed very well. I'll probably send off to a 'smith friend and see if he can do anything for it. Got another one that I'm having redone to 7.62X54R just because, heh, heh, heh. That one's also causing a mild headache in the mag/feeding area. And usually a DP rifle had a pin drilled and installed through the receiver/barrel area.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten years or so ago I swapped an old K-10 for a parade rifle from Wis. Rusted out pos. 6" cut off the muzzle, no stock etc. Rest was there. Ears ground off but, that was it. Shot great even with the rusty pipe it had.

I had it turned into a .358 U/M by Kevin Weaver. Cost like hell but, man it's a beauty. 26" Douglas, Ed Shulin stocked I finished it. Mercury in forearm and butt. Huge pad 2" x 7", biggest pad made I was told.

First test loads: 250gr, 90gr AA7828, 2884fps for 15 shot avg. I want to get it up around 3000 or more IF I can stand the recoil. Have ideas of making a trip to Australia for buff's when my health heals up.

Wish I had a way to post pictures.
This is my third one. First was original way back in 1958 as a kid, shot the chamber loose as '06. had it opened to .300Win/m in '73. The other was chopped up too, had it dressed out nice as an '06. Gotta have an '06 on '17 Enfields. All Eddystones.

Have a left over action only, need a few parts to complete it. Am thinking of having a 26" .243 built so I have a nice set of four alike. Just for kicks n whiz mostly.

Before anyone starts sying it's too big an action. What's an oz or two on a 8-9lb rifle? Plus, I don't like the Mauser safeties at all. '17 Enfields have the greatest safety ever invented imo. On top of that, I grew up with one and used it/them over 55 years now.

Thanks.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used many P14 DPs for big magnums, and having disassembled and inspected at least 20 of them, I have to say that I think the notion that they were made from defective rifles is nonsense. In fact, most of them were in new or like new condition, except for the stocks.
Might have "failed" some armorer's gauge, but absolutely nothing actually wrong with them, from my experience.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an action, 3,xxx.xxx marked RE in a circle on the front receiver ring. One of these days...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote