Find
Notify
Tools

Mini Garand - the Mini-G
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I'm talking about the Mini-G from Shuff's Parkerizing. It's not a Garand 'Tanker'. It's a Garand carbine.

I sent my old beater Garand to Tim Shufflin (Shuff's Parkerizing) and what I got back was the nice Garand carbine you see below. The overall length is 36-1/2" and it weighs 8-lbs 6-oz on my postal scale. But the weight is deceiving. Nearly 8" came off the end of the barrel and the entire front handguard is gone. All of the weight came off the tip of the rifle. The center of gravity is now located directly under the finger lever of the operating rod. The result is a rifle that feels and handles like it weighs a lot less than it really does.

Browning pre-81 BLR, Mini-G carbine, and M1 Carbine.

I opted for a few extras. First, I had Tim install a Holbrook device. The device locks the bolt to the rear when the clip is empty but it does not eject the clip. Because the clip stays in the rifle, you can load single or multiple rounds directly into the rifle. That's a necessity if you want to mount a scope over the action. It also prevents "M1 Thumb". You can still eject the clip by pressing the clip latch and it still allows you to load full clips.

My original stock was a beat up piece of birch. It just had to go. A new walnut "finger groove" stock was purchased from The Stock Emporium and shipped to Shuff's to install on the Mini-G. The pitted barrel was replaced with a new 7.62x51mm barrel. The 7.62 has noticeably less recoil than the 30-06 in the Mini-G. I also had Tim re-parkerize all the metal - it's his specialty. And it is worth noting that the build includes a Schuster adjustable gas plug as a standard item so the system can be tuned to different loads and weights of bullets.

The rifle came back last night and I couldn't wait to shoot it. Tim adjusted it for M80 ammunition but all I have on hand is M118 LR that is loaded with 175gr SMK bullets. I followed the instructions that came with the Shuster and had the rifle tuned for the M118 LR in 11 rounds. I zeroed the rifle at 25 yards and would normally move back to 100 then 200 for a more useful zero. But I have a Burris Fast-Fire III on the way and the mount I will be using replaces the rear sight. So, I decided to save the ammo till I get the optic set up. I was tempted, though, to shoot every round I have.

This is the most imaginative, most useful, and best all-around military sporterizing concept I have ever seen. I may just choose it for deer and bear hunting this year.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'd love to know how it shoots, with glass.. and if you wouldn't mind, could you PM me the costs?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great. Now I want one. Thanks for sharing.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M118LR is fine for the Garand- RL 15 was the go to powder for that ammo and is within the 4895 to 4320 speed range.

I wonder how large/small the gas port is- wit that short of a bbl the pressure has to be well above the 2800 psi the Garand system was designed around ( at the port).

Perhaps you would consider a scout pic rail hand guard in lieu of the rear sight mount contraption- a plus would be a rear sight and a better mounting platform for the optic- plus you could mount about any long eye relief scout scope and have optics not just a fuzzy dot!

Holbrook-Another way to stop the auto eject of clips is to remove the accelerator (the part that is depressed by the follower rod when inserting a clip) in the op rod/op rod catch portions of the hardware- does the same- require a tug on the handle to release the bolt, allowing non automatic bolt closure and retains the clip in the receiver, until you depress the clip release catch.

Looks cute, but I still prefer full sized Garands!

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Gas port size isn't an issue. The Mini-G comes with a Schuster adjustable gas plug.

Regarding a scout scope, I just got rid of 8" of barrel and stock weight having the rifle converted to a Mini-G. I have no desire to add more to it, especially over the barrel. My goal is a 200 yard hunting carbine. If I can't shoot accurately with the Burris FastFire then I'll mount a lightweight scope over the action. But I'm going to have to try the FastFire to see.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gren;

I am very familiar w/ the Schuster-used one for heavy loads in NM M1s. I am still interested in the port size- perhaps I'll check w/ the builder-has to be other than standard 308 size. I'd be surprised otherwise.

RE the fast fire- I find that dots usually wind up being way too big to be useful for any distance ( I know, 200 yds ain't far) but smaller dots disappear in most day light conditions (IME).

Can you tell/show us 100 yd target results?

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I've only fired it at 25 yards and that was to get the gas system adjusted and to see how shooting an 8-round clip at rapid fire felt. I should have the FastFire and mount any day now. As soon as I get it I'll take the rifle outside, shoot it at 100 yards, and post the results. I have to drive to a public range to shoot further than that but when I do I'll update the results.

I need to order more 7.62x51 ammo. I've got a 400 round case of Olympic .30-06 and a full 400 round can of LC M2 Ball but I only had 80 rounds of the M118-LR on hand. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a press that could magically squeeze .30-06 ammunition down to .308 ammunition?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any 150-168 bullet, a LR primer and about 41 grns of any 4895 or 4064 range powder..... of course, use a manual or known source for exact recipe!

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Hope you give us more details/photos on the Fastfire when you get it mounted. I'm interested as I'm using such red dots on more of my guns and really like them.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first read this I thought it was a .22 LR like the Chiappa or Erma M1 Carbine. But it's not.

But a .22 LR M1 Garand...has ot ever been done?

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was about something like that

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
americanshootingjournal.com/tagleon-crottet/

Size Matters – The World Of Miniature Firearms

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for the FastFire from Burris. I ordered it as part of a promotion and they are taking their sweet time about shipping it.

In the meantime I shot the Mini-G with the issue sights yesterday. I was shooting 100 yards prone, unsupported with the sling secured to my upper arm. The groups were about 3.5" with frequent fliers in every direction opening it up to more than twice that. I was expecting groups around 2" or a bit less. I think the problem is the ammo. It turns out I have XM118LR with PD in the lot number. I think this is second rate repack ammo.

My first thought was that the M118LR might not be able to stabilize the long 175gr Sierra Matchking (SMK) bullets with the short Mini-G barrel. A down range loss of velocity will not destabilize a bullet until it slows down to the point it approaches the speed of sound. But velocity loss in the barrel means a loss in rotational velocity (spin) imparted to the bullet. As a bullet goes down range it quickly sheds velocity but barrel spin degrades very slowly. When a bullet reaches the point where it only has half of its original velocity it still has nearly all of its original spin.

Today I chronographed the ammunition to explore velocity and spin. By specification, M118LR reaches a muzzle velocity around 2650 fps from a M24. The mini-G barrel is only 16" long. M118LR chronographs at only 2440 fps from the Mini-G. I wondered if the Mini-G is imparting enough spin to stabilize the 175gr SMK bullets.

Here's the math: Bullet RPM = MV X 720/Twist Rate (in inches)

M118LR Bullet RPM in M24 (specifications) = 2650 x 720/11.25 = 166,400 RPM
M118LR Bullet RPM in Mini-G (chronographed) = 2440 x 720/10 = 175,680 RPM

It doesn't look like the bad grouping has anything to do with bullet RPM. More likely the problem is twofold:

1. The Mini-G just doesn't "like" M118LR ammo
2. The XM118LR PD ammunition I have is second rate rejects

I also chronographed some Fiocchi ammunition with 165gr Sierra GameKing bullets. It averaged 2530 fps from the Mini-G. The weather turned bad so I didn't get a chance to shoot the Fiocci for groups. I'll do that as soon as things dry up.

Again, the average velocities* chronographed from the Mini-G:

Fiocchi with 165gr SGK = 2530 fps
XM118PD with 175gr SMK = 2440 fps

* Velocities are rounded to the nearest 5 fps

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is your 308 barrel a 1 in 12, or 1 in 10?

Could be your barrel just does not like that load.
You might try these loads, they have shot very well in several different 308/7.62 rifles, including many with 18 to 20 inch barrels.
Federal 168 gr Match, Federal 150gr Ballistic Tip, Winchester 168 gr Ballistic Silvertip.

Also reloads with 39.5 gr of IMR 3031, with a 168 Sierra Matchking, or a 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 165 gr Nosler Partition , or the 165 Sierra HPBT GAMEKING. I have shot a lot of game with this load and the 165 HPBT Gameking, it is a great hunting bullet in the 308.
If your rifle does not shoot some of these loads good then IMHO, something is wrong. Also try 42 gr of IMR 3031 with Sierra or Nosler 150gr bullets. All these loads shoot very good in my Tanker 308 Grand.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
Probably the shooter ... Roll Eyes

I've got an 18" Tanker and inside 300yds it's more accurate than my other full-size M1s.

Not hugely, but the difference is noticeable. Best to remember, it's the singer, not the song.

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Very nice! If you decide to go with a light weight scope, Leupold makes a 3x9 x 33 VX-2 lightweight that is under 10 ounces. I put one on my Colt Light Rifle and it has performed well. They are very affordable as well.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So any up dates on how this shoots

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
This is a neat little rifle.

I would have loved to be able to get one in South Africa.

I have shot the std size Garand in the past and really enjoyed it.

Hope she turned into a fine shooting rifle with the right loads and red dot

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Personally I want the clip to eject; nothing like the "PING" to remind you that you are shooting a real M1 Rifle. I shoot them just to hear the ping.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree dpcd, but is'nt that little rifle just cuter than socks on a rooster?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote