Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feed issue
 Login/Join

posted
I just picked up a custom JP Sauer chambered in 9.3x62 that does not feed round nose bullets from the left side of the box. Will feed spire points from both sides of the box. Any suggestions?

Thanks

MAC

Posts: 11 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 October 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the misfeed occur? Failure to feed out, bullet nose hits breech face?

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is how I make things feed; look at it when it is doing what you don't want it to do. Look through the situation and you can see what will need to be done to change it's behavior. A slow motion camera can work. Then, make the change required to the steel. It is either intuitive, or impossible, for some to envision.
One possibility is that the maker made the feed rails too wide, but that is a complete guess.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bobster, the bolt starts to pick up the round and the round moves a little and then bolt slides over the top of the case. If you stop the bolt and pull it back then restart the bolt forward again it will feed.

posted Hide Post
dpcd thanks for the suggestion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Mexican mauser 8mm/06AI does the same thing. It looks like the rear of the case is not moving up soon or quickly enough. Just from the left side.

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hipshoot, Have you figured anything out or just dealing with it?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
AI cartridtes need the front of the feed rails operated on or they will do what you describe. Because they ain't tapered and Mauser feed lips, are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently, it is a bullet nose issue. Take some Dykem or a blue Sharpie and color the feed rail on the left side and any ramp in front of it. Cycle and look for the contact point(s). Stone that area until you get it to feed.

quote:
Originally posted by MAC08:
Bobster, the bolt starts to pick up the round and the round moves a little and then bolt slides over the top of the case. If you stop the bolt and pull it back then restart the bolt forward again it will feed.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks For the idea bobster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hipshoot, Have you figured anything out or just dealing with it?

So far I've been just dealing with it. It has gotten a little bit better as the rifle was shot very little. I have been double clutching it a bit like you.
The front of my feed rails have been worked on but perhaps not enough.

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hipshot. I will have to get out the stones and do a little at a time I guess.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bobster, the bolt starts to pick up the round and the round moves a little and then bolt slides over the top of the case.

The feed rail is preventing the bullet end from moving upward and toward the center at the onset. That is most likely because the current chambering is longer and wider at the bullet end than the action was initially made for. So you need to remove a bit of the mid/forward rail to allow the case to lift forward as opposed to dropping in the back when forced forward by the bolt. The cartridge needs to slide upward easily enough that the case head doesnt drop. That force may change a bit with the magazine load, so make sure it works with only one case in the magazine. I do this lightly and carefully with a dremel then smooth it out with sand paper. Just grind a nice gentle taper that increases toward the front, but dont touch the back half of the rail at all.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No time for stones and sandpaper; those will take forever to remove enough steel to make a non tapered cartridge feed; I use ball nose end mills.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
No time for stones and sandpaper; those will take forever to remove enough steel to make a non tapered cartridge feed; I use ball nose end mills.

And that's a fact!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you do anything make sure your magazine box is dimensioned correctly for the 9.3x62.
Here is the correct info -
http://forums.accuratereloadin...001014052#3001014052

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote