Find
Notify
Tools

91/30 vs M39 Pros & Cons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
What are the differences between the Russian and Finn versions? Other than nationalism, are there reasons for the differences? How'bout the ammunition?

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Google Moisin-Naghant and you will find sites with llengthy, very detailed histories, pictures, and specs for all of these rifles, including Russian Finnish, and almost all of the Com-Block countries.

Generally speaking, the M39 has a heavier barrel than the 91/30s and is considered by the aficionados and cognoscenti to be the second most accurate of all versions. The one considered the most accurate is the M28/30 which is a Finnish version with an even heavier barrel built on captured Russian rifles from the "winter war". The rebuilding was mainly re-barreling, which was done mostly by Tikka or SAKO, depending on which branch of the armed services they were intended for.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Alberta is correct; I have all the versions mentioned. Plus, all the Finn rifles are made from octagon receivers; I have a TKIV 85 sniper, built on an octagon action. I like the 39s for the pistol grip stocks and heavy weight, but the 28-30s are more accurate due to the .308 barrels. Only drawback is that the Finns are more expensive than the Russians. Ammo is all the same but the Finns call it 7.62x53 instead of 54.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Regarding the AMMO, is it OK to fire Russian (surplus), 762x54R in the Finn 308 bore guns-I realize its a minor difference; just wondering if it effects future accuracy?

I really DO like the "Beefy" feel of the Finn guns.

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is ok; most ammo is smaller than you think and it works fine in all rifles. I don't know that Finnish ammo is smaller in bullet diameter anyway; I had some and will measure it if I ever find it.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Frank Martinez has a Finnish (SAKO) Model 28-30 with which I have shot a few sub-MOA groups at 100 yards using the issue open sights and Prvi Partisan factory ammo. I have no idea how much he is asking for it, but if you're after one, that one performs very well.

Another thing north American shooters really need to learn is that a slightly larger groove diameter in a European rifle doesn't always mean a larger bore diameter. The grooves are deeper because the Europeans learned long ago that deeper grooves give longer accuracy life to the barrels. That's particularly important with issued military weapons which may see a LOT of rounds fired and get only catch-as-catch-can cleaning.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
What is COUNTER BORING? Some guns are marketed one way or the other and each seller seems to think its a Good thing???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
injudicious cleaning can ruin the muzzle. one solution was to bore out the muzzle to a diameter greater than the original bore. it could be half and inch to a couple inches deep.

a perfect original crown is most desirable, but a counterbored barrel will shoot better than one with a funnel-shaped crown caused by conscripts using steel cleaning rods after corrosive ammo.