Find
Notify
Tools

30-40 Krag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldKinda nice seeing Alberta Canuck again. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
oldKinda nice seeing Alberta Canuck again. Winkroger

True that!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you guys have got me curled up on the floor suffering envy and nostalgia..Nice guns! Id kill for for a couple of this custom Krags!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Duplicate post.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting with some friends and the ranch owner was guiding a paying hunter who only had one lung and didn't get around good, couldn'thandle recoil..They were above on the rimrock and This guy opened up on a huge buck wit a 25-35 at 600 plus yards, the big buck came down and stopped in front of me and I stuck a 220 gr. Rem CL. in his shoulder and down he went. I could hear that guy
screaming " I got him" several times as it echoed thru the canyons, they came down and he was mouthing off to beat hell.The buck had a 6 inch exit hole and had twi broken shoulders, now I had shot enough bucks with a 25-35 to know that couldn't happen and you can't hit a deer at that range with a an iron sighted carbine 94...I let my dad know it right off..He told me keep my mouth shut or get home, I died that day of shock, but kept my mouth shut,thinking I might live another day and paying hunters owned the ranch that day..He later told me of course I shot the deer, so what, you can shoot all the deer you want and that man probably won't live long enough to hunt again, I remember thinking I didn't give a shit if he lived or died!! I was 12 at the time..After that I always wanted a Krag and swore it would be my elk gun, that didn't happen either for some time..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41754 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago a custom Mannlicher-stocked Krag popped up on Gun Broker, built for and owned by actor William Powell. I sure wish I had grabbed it....stunning build.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Boy oh boy,that would have a phenominal score on so many levels.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, coulda, shoulda, woulda :-(

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a short film clip last night from "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Atticus Finch uses a "sporterized" 30/40 Krag to put down a rabid dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KpVAm2e6E

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Hornady just released a batch of 180 gr 30-40
(Hrn item #81202)

180 gr SP, Custom™
2430 fps, .271 SC, .425 BC(G1)

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat,I had forgot that scene.Rather bizarre ending though on that clip. In mine I load the 220 G. Sierra R.N. as that was what they were regulated for.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Wildcat,I had forgot that scene.Rather bizarre ending though on that clip. In mine I load the 220 G. Sierra R.N. as that was what they were regulated for.

To be honest, I hadn't watched the entire clip until you mentioned the ending.

Yes the ending is bizarre.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re-bore a Krag to .35-caliber (so it's a "35-40"), and you'd really have something interesting to get the goobers drooling at the annual deer camp.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
How much is a sporterized Krag worth? I've noticed that most are over $450-500 at gun shows...

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bugle, that's the million-dollar question. The answer has always been about the quality of the custom work. I see the plain ones in the price range you quote. The one I built I would not part with for love nor money. So if you see a custom in that price range that you like I would say to buy it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hydell mentions that intriguing .35-40 Krag wildcat again. Man, that thing haunts me. Almost a shame that when I scrubbed out the bore of my Krag, it turned out to be in very good shape.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16292 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'll get one eventually..I like them. Just don't want a Bubba'd gun.

Saw a Smith-Corona today with a custom stock (ugly) and multiple spots drilled in the receiver for scope rings...even through the serial number Mad Eeker . I thought about buying it for $400 just to rescue it but it may be too far gone. Maybe that 03a3 is worth it at $400 Confused

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are still a lot of good bored Krags out there, you don't need to settle for second best. I just saw an ad from IMA-USA (they sell vintage firearms, militaria,etc.) for a Krag rifle priced at $1250.00. I think they're drunk but whatever the market will bear. Keep in mind that they are not making them anymore + every day they are one day older. And BILL, lose that line of thought; you DO NOT need another project!

One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
mine 30-40 krag has been handed down for 4 generations. it was made in 1903. somewhere between 1903 and 1923 it was given to bubba and he chopped the barrel to 22" and he put a front sight on it. 1923 was when my great grandfather bought the 30-40. it was then my grandfather's. he shot 30-40 until my dad was at 12yo. then he had it.(grandfather bought a rem m760 in 30-06 years before) it was given back to my grandfather in 1970(my dad has a new rem m760 in 30-06) and then it was given to my late uncle. he then had it till he got rem m760 in 30-06, then it was handed back to grandfather. in the months before he died, he handed the 30-40 krag to me.

the redfield 102k i put on and the orignal stock.

1960+/- someone put a bishop stock on it

165gr ranch dog(173gr actually) and 100 yard targets before the 102k was put on

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Mr. Hydell mentions that intriguing .35-40 Krag wildcat again. Man, that thing haunts me. Almost a shame that when I scrubbed out the bore of my Krag, it turned out to be in very good shape.

JES does it well. if i could find another krag thats what i would do(35-40 krag)
http://www.35caliber.com/

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tdoyka:
quote:

JES does it well. if i could find another krag thats what i would do(35-40 krag)

Maybe you meant this page on the JES site?

http://www.35caliber.com/8.html

He mentions "35 Krag" as a chambering option.

I assume that means taking a bad or shot-out .30-cal Krag barrel and re-invigorating it by reaming the bore out to .35-diameter? ... And thus the actual chambering becomes 35-40?

Are there even reloading dies for a .35-40?

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by tdoyka:
quote:

Maybe you meant this page on the JES site?

http://www.35caliber.com/8.html

He mentions "35 Krag" as a chambering option.

I assume that means taking a bad or shot-out .30-cal Krag barrel and re-invigorating it by reaming the bore out to .35-diameter? ... And thus the actual chambering becomes 35-40?

Are there even reloading dies for a .35-40?

yep, thats the way he does.

i haven't looked for 35-40 krag dies, but i'd bet that ch4d will have/ make them.

― Nikola Tesla

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its really a shame that we can't buy our custom dies from RCBS anymore.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Picked up 100pc of brand new primed .30-40k brass (NOS?) at the gun show today for $40. Feeling pretty good about that find

dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody know of a competent Krag gunsmith in my area (West Tennessee)? My Krag doesn't discriminate. It won't feed any kind of ammunition, round nosed or spitzer, and I would so like to give it a go on deer this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Xusa that’s usuaiiy a problem with the magazine cutoff rod. If the cutoff is absent or you have one of the receiver sights that replace the cutoff and the rod wasn’t retained an 1898 Krag will not feed.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did have the type receiver sight you described, but removed it and replaced it with a cutoff. Still doesn't work. It's a shame, since it's a nice looking sporterizing job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For this year's deer season you just might have to bite the bullet (sorry) + remember that over the years there has been a lot of deer harvested with a single shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ican't imagine using light bullets in the Krag, the 220 gr corelokt is such a killer of both deer and elk.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will PAY $350 TO $500 FOR A NICE KRAG CARBINE OR CONVERSION RIGHT NOW, EMAIL ME WHAT YOU HAVE AND INCLUDE PICTURES..MY CONTACT NUMBERS BELOW.
RAY

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120