New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-40 Krag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone here point me to sources that would be helpful in identifying and valuing a well-done sporterized Krag? Save me a few hours on the www.
Thanks.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Can anyone here point me to sources that would be helpful in identifying and valuing a well-done sporterized Krag? Save me a few hours on the www.
Thanks.

"Sporterized Krags" have little value other than the fact that they are awesome handling "woods rifles" that are very effective on medium game/large ungulates.

A well done one might fetch $300.

Any pictures?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bottom feeder !!!

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, I would start by looking at the rifles pictured in the late Michael Petrov's Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century, Volumes I and II. A nicely done Krag by a known maker will fetch well north of $1,000, and nice ones by unknown makers can bring a good price. As with all other guns, it is all dependent on workmanship. Wildcat Junkie is a bit out of touch with reality, or I will pay $300 for every nicely-done sporterized Krag he can find.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Concur.

If you want to see some nice Krags, look around this website. Michael Petrov posted a bunch of nice pictures on this website as well:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/f...er=401498#Post401498

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
To answer your question, I would start by looking at the rifles pictured in the late Michael Petrov's Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century, Volumes I and II. A nicely done Krag by a known maker will fetch well north of $1,000, and nice ones by unknown makers can bring a good price. As with all other guns, it is all dependent on workmanship. Wildcat Junkie is a bit out of touch with reality, or I will pay $300 for every nicely-done sporterized Krag he can find.

What do you mean by "sporterized"? It sounds to me that you are talking about "custom" Krags by well known gunsmiths.

My idea of a sporterized Krag is one that has had the barrel shortend & the miltary stock cut down or a restock job with perhaps a receiver sight

Is my Krag worth more than $300 as it is?

I figure with a bit more work on the stock finish & a rust blue job it might be worth $500.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
To me, any non-military Springfield Krag is sporterized, including custom ones. I guess it is all semantics. I would call yours an average sporterized Krag and it would likely bring closer to $400 in one of the on-line auctions.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, I checked some of the online auctions & although there are "sprotterized" Krags in the $300-$400 range, they are pretty sad looking examples.

I saw one re-blued Carbine that was supposed to have a bright bore with what looked like a new unfinished stock for $800. Most that were less than that were petty seedy looking & didn't even reference the bore condition.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Junkie. I agree that a lot of what you see are rats, but Krags are becoming popular again. Yours appears to be a nice one. I have one of the sporters the NRA made up and sold in the 1920s or 1930s. Very fun to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

What do you mean by "sporterized"? It sounds to me that you are talking about "custom" Krags by well known gunsmiths.

My idea of a sporterized Krag is one that has had the barrel shortend & the miltary stock cut down or a restock job with perhaps a receiver sight

I figure with a bit more work on the stock finish & a rust blue job it might be worth $500.

Yes. I wouldn't bother with the rust blue unless it is in bad shape. If the bore is in good shape, it should get you $350 easily, as it. $500 to the right person as is.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
quote:
quote:

Yes. I wouldn't bother with the rust blue unless it is in bad shape. If the bore is in good shape, it should get you $350 easily, as it. $500 to the right person as is.

If it had an even patina I wouldn't but there are several places including the barrel where the rear sight holes were plugged, the tang area on the receiver, the trigger guard, butt plate & the fore-end screw escutcheon. Most of that damage to the original patina was done when I re-stocked it.

My plan is to rust blue to a dark enough hue,, then do a couple of cycles W/O boiling to add a hint of brown patina.

It was discussed in this thread.https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/6061055612

I might even do some polishing in places to vary the hue of the rust blue before the final coats of brown are applied to simulate years of well cared for use..

Even though the original bolt is within allowable spec's I also will be replacing it for one that is just a bit tighter on headspace.

That bolt is NOS & is highly polished. I need to experiment to make the patina on that match the original.

My goal all along was to return this rifle to a condition as close as possible to when my father purchased it in a Pennsylvania farm house kitchen for $12 in 1958.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:Yes. I wouldn't bother with the rust blue unless it is in bad shape. If the bore is in good shape, it should get you $350 easily, as it. $500 to the right person as is.

If it had an even patina I wouldn't but there are several places including the barrel where the rear sight holes were plugged, the tang area on the receiver, the trigger guard, butt plate & the fore-end screw escutcheon where the "patina" is removed. Most of that damage to the original patina was done when I re-stocked it.

My plan is to rust blue to a dark enough hue, then do a couple of cycles W/O boiling to add a hint of brown patina.

It was discussed in this thread.https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/6061055612

I might even do some polishing in places to vary the hue of the rust blue before the final coats of brown are applied to simulate years of well cared for use..

Even though the original bolt is within allowable spec's I also will be replacing it for one that is just a bit tighter on headspace.

That bolt is NOS & is highly polished. I need to experiment to make the patina on that match the original.

My goal all along was to return this rifle to a condition as close as possible to when my father purchased it in a Pennsylvania farm house kitchen for $12 in 1958.

The bore is decent, great throat, but just a hint of darkness. I had the muzzle re-crowned & it still shoots well enough.

I took a decent local buck with it from 120yds right through the center of the windpipe.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement with you. A custom Sporter is in a different league that yours and my sporterized Krag rifles.
However all being "sporterized" I see the high end ones more as "custom" rifle builds from another era.
They all have a great amount of appeal to me!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I am in agreement with you. A custom Sporter is in a different league that yours and my sporterized Krag rifles.
However all being "sporterized" I see the high end ones more as "custom" rifle builds from another era.
They all have a great amount of appeal to me!

For me, rebuilding my Dad's Krag is reliving a childhood memory. When I was 8 years old, my Dad's best friend "Fat" Miller sold him that rifle for $12

I can still picture that Krag in my Dad's hands as he sat on a kitchen chair. It was a day of wonderment for an 8 year old & one of my 1st, hunting related memories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 60s, a classmate in high school deer hunted. His rifle was a sporterized 30-40 Krag. Can recall him commenting on the old rifle and its 30-40 cartridge for deer hunting. He proudly told me the old rifle and its cartridge does quite well at bringing down a deer.

A few years ago, was at a local gun show and I ran into a guy, age wise, was in his late 70s. His son was a dealer at the show. Wasn't unusual for Dad to help his son in the booth. We knew each other, because I always stopped at the booth to check out his goods. Dad tells me he has a 30-40 Krag to sell and I go to the booth with him to see it. He tells me he'd inherited the rifle from an uncle about 25 years and that he'd used it for deer hunting. Well, the Krag had been nicely sporterized by someone who knew what he was doing and condition of rifle was really very very good. I'd already spent a chunk of the money I'd brought to the show and had about $160 left. Owner asked me to make an offer, which I refused to do...telling him this rifle is too nice, amount I have left to spend would be an insult, you should get a heck lot more for it. I left the booth. The following weekend, there is another gun show and the son has a booth there. I stop at his booth, Dad's not there, so ask son....did your Dad sell the Krag? He rolled his eyes and said "YES". How much did he get for it, I asked. Answer was $150. I about cried.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huffmanite:
Back in the mid 60s, a classmate in high school hunted deer. His rifle was a sporterized 30-40 Krag. Can recall him commenting on the old rifle and its 30-40 cartridge for deer hunting. He proudly told me the old rifle and its cartridge does quite well at bringing down a deer.

A few years ago, was at a local gun show and I ran into a guy, age wise, was in his late 70s. His son was a dealer at the show. Wasn't unusual for Dad to help his son in the booth. We knew each other, because I always stopped at the booth to check out his goods. Dad tells me he has a 30-40 Krag to sell and I go to the booth with him to see it. He tells me he'd inherited the rifle from an uncle about 25 years ago and that the uncle had used it for deer hunting. Well, the Krag had been nicely sporterized by someone who knew what he was doing and condition of rifle was really very very good. I'd already spent a chunk of the money I'd brought to the show and had about $160 left. Owner asked me to make an offer, which I refused to do...telling him this rifle is too nice, amount I have left to spend would be an insult, you should get a heck lot more for it. I left the booth. The following weekend, there is another gun show and the son has a booth there. I stop at his booth, Dad's not there, so ask son....did your Dad sell the Krag? He rolled his eyes and said "YES". How much did he get for it, I asked. Answer was $150. I about cried.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'd have cried, too. There's just something about a Krag.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I was at the range this week with my Krag. A friend was shooting his .325 WSM Browning. My 116 year old Krag shot a 100 yard group (Lyman Peep) as good as his scoped gun. Ever since he bought his gun, he has been chasing a consistent zero and at least a MOA group and my 4 MOA group wasn't much better than what he shot with his 10 power scope.

Two guys came up and chatted me up about my gun.

My friend went home and sold the 325... dancing

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
I was at the range this week with my Krag. A friend was shooting his .325 WSM Browning. My 116 year old Krag shot a 100 yard group (Lyman Peep) as good as his scoped gun. Ever since he bought his gun, he has been chasing a consistent zero and at least a MOA group and my 4 MOA group wasn't much better than what he shot with his 10 power scope.

Two guys came up and chatted me up about my gun.

My friend went home and sold the 325... dancing

With carefully tailored hand-loads that get the bullet ogive just off the lands your Krag would probably cut those groups nearly in half.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
With carefully tailored hand-loads that get the bullet ogive just off the lands your Krag would probably cut those groups nearly in half.

Hand loads aren't the problem. It's all the operator's limitations. I'm sure it could shoot 2 MOA no problem if I could just shoot iron sights better.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I started hunting in the late 60's after getting out of the navy my uncle had a 160 acre dairy farm in Pennsylvania. So I called him up and asked for permission to hunt his property. He told me that a local hunt club had leased the rights for hunting. My heart sank. But he said family were more than welcome as that was written into the contract. Anyway drive up in my car, take the rifle,ammo, thermos full of coffee stop in and say hello and thanks. And off I went. Mu uncle told me if I got any crap from them let him know. I met the member of the hunt club when they were doing a drive. they stopped at the end and we stood around shooting the bull. Three had sporterized or cutdown krags, up until then I had never seen a krag. Another uncle not too far away had a full length krag rifle which had been drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I searched through many gun shows looking for one cutdown with a good bore.Finally in a little gun show I found one for $180 with a nice bore and no pitting. This had the bbl cut to 25" with a sporting ramp front sight and the 1901 rear sight with the little flip up peep. When my uncle with the scoped krag passed away I didn't have the heart to ask my aunt if I could buy it. Waited a year and in that time I found mine. Seem like lately there have been more Krag posts in the different
forums as I guess a lot of the old timers either pass away or retire from hunting. But a lot of them have been interested in shooting with cast bullets. I always enjoy these krag posts as when you hold one you have a piece of history in your hands. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krags are just neat. I have the one my Great Grandfather packed around the Philipines a couple years. With the old Lyman single cavity 311284 mold that came with it, on a good day I can hold 2" at a hundred.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive always wanted a straight gripped Krag, I shot a huge buck with one as a kid, I borrowed it and knocked him over at 250 yards..Years later I shot an elk at 150 yards with one and down he went...Ive always wanted one of my own, but just never got around to it..The actions are so damn smooth and easy to load, got a lot going for it..I better hurry up and get one, I may be running out of time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double post

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Off and on for a few years I've been looking for a Rice peep sight for my Krag, anyone have one collecting dust or know where I can find one?
I've been checking Ebay and Gunbroker.
I'm nearly tempted to have a friend try to make one if I can't find one.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Off and on for a few years I've been looking for a Rice peep sight for my Krag, anyone have one collecting dust or know where I can find one?

"Rice peep sight"?

one of us
posted Hide Post
"My plan is to rust blue to a dark enough hue, then do a couple of cycles W/O boiling to add a hint of brown patina.

I might even do some polishing in places to vary the hue of the rust blue before the final coats of brown are applied to simulate years of well cared for use.."

A good way to add age to a rust blue job is to do a rottenstone and oil rub with a felt pad after blueing. Give the whole gun a light rub and then focus on areas that would receive wear.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3646 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

"Rice peep sight"?

Page one of this thread, 8th post down Michael Petrov's rifle has a Rice peep sight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I took a decent local buck with it from 120yds right through the center of the windpipe.

What a great picture. Nothing stirs me more than to see great old rifles in use on game.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I also love that photo - maybe because I shot my first whitetail with a similar one .

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4184 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Mart:
The rifle (pictured above) is the best looking sporter job I've seen done on a Krag.
I have a table at the Wasilla show. Stop by. Gunpowder and 4-5 double rifles for sale.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Mart:
The rifle (pictured above) is the best looking sporter job I've seen done on a Krag.
I have a table at the Wasilla show. Stop by. Gunpowder and 4-5 double rifles for sale.
Cal

Hi Cal.

You haven´t seen it all yet..:LOL
https://www.facebook.com/ola.nyhuus?fref=ts

http://www.rafdal-vapen.no/CustomKrag-9075s.html

Merry Christmas.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Jens
Thanks for posting those 2 links they are really beautiful Krags. Amazing...

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mart:
Cal

Cal, when is the show ? If I am back from Kodiak I will stop by.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4184 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Wasilla show is the weekend of Jan 21,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I'll be there. I get off the slope the 17th.

That Krag is really nice. I kind of like this one also. I've had it for many years. I don't know who did the stock but a lot of bird's eyes went into making that one.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mart:
Cal,

I'll be there. I get off the slope the 17th.

That Krag is really nice. I kind of like this one also. I've had it for many years. I don't know who did the stock but a lot of bird's eyes went into making that one.

I drool every time I see this rifle. Since it's not a left-handed rifle, and as a result, not interesting, I would be happy to buy it.

Wink

I have a nice 1896 I'm quite fond of. Will try to get some pictures up.

Posts: 105 | Location: MD | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here's my 1896. I really like how this stock was cut down.

-Brandon

Posts: 105 | Location: MD | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brandon,

I had one very similar to yours just prior to getting the maple stocked Krag. I really liked it but didn't need two Krags so traded it off.

I guess I need to change my signature line to include classic rifles. I've had that line for many years and have matured in my attitude toward rifles. There is now a place in my life for interesting classic rifles even it they are not correctly handed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mart:
Cal

After 3 years of off and on work and 2 bucks taken by my son & I, it's finally finished.