Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting pics w/ sporterized rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Looking to see if anyone has any photos they'd like to share of their military rifles (sporterized or not) in the field. This is of interest to me because in the years that I guided and spent a lot of time at deer camp I don't recall anyone bringing anything out of the ordinary to hunt with. I think it is awesome to bring these historic firearms out in the field and use them.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Looking to see if anyone has any photos they'd like to share of their military rifles (sporterized or not) in the field. This is of interest to me because in the years that I guided and spent a lot of time at deer camp I don't recall anyone bringing anything out of the ordinary to hunt with. I think it is awesome to bring these historic firearms out in the field and use them.

No picts but I hunt with a 1938 VZ-24 in .376 Steyr 23"bbl or a VZ-24 in .458WM or VZ-24 in .270 win, 30-06, 300 WM. I will have to work on the picts. Possibly figured it out.

silver / coho salmon on stream bank while Brownie Hunting .376 steyr vz-24

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
My M96 Swede Mauser in 6.5x55 sporterized by Kimber of Oregon during a late season blacktail deer hunt.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice Cougarz! I like it!

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Another M96 Swede in 6.5x55.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
1916 Erfurt SR 6.5x57 with blind mag. 2-7 Leupold

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice hog Bakes! love the rifle.

Von Gruff - Wow the piece of wood on that gun is nice!

Keep them coming everyone Smiler

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate. My rifle is very basic. Plain hard wood stock etc. Not pretty, its cheap but its done the job. I've had it for nearly 30 years now.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7964 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cougarz, I remember seeing those Kimber of Oregon sportered Swedes in gun stores. I already had a well-sportered 96 so was never tempted, but was glad to see those rifles getting some respect for the precision tools they were.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i have an old picture that was mine(now its oldest son).

98 mauser (fn, don't remember the date)
timney trigger and 2 pos.safety
20" douglas premium barrel

https://i.imgur.com/Ee3UHwD.jpg

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tdoyka:
i have an old picture that was mine(now its oldest son).

98 mauser (fn, don't remember the date)
timney trigger and 2 pos.safety
20" douglas premium barrel
fajen "plastic" stock

https://i.imgur.com/Ee3UHwD.jpg

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Cougarz, I remember seeing those Kimber of Oregon sportered Swedes in gun stores. I already had a well-sportered 96 so was never tempted, but was glad to see those rifles getting some respect for the precision tools they were.

Yes unfortunately it was Kimbers last gasp in Oregon. The new Kimber just doesn't quite match what they used to turn out.

The M96 is pretty darn accurate too even with its original recontoured barrel and two stage trigger. But I always kind of liked those old military triggers.

They also did a few 98 mausers in I think 308. I wish I had picked up one of those too but was really into the 6.5x55mm at the time. I still think its the ideal blacktail cartridge.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
VZ24 in .338-06:

Another VZ24 in .308 Win:

The boys are shooting 6.5x55's and I'm shooting a 7x57 on an Argentine 1909. My Youngest built his on a SR Mexican 98, my oldest on a Standard Length LR 98:

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
The M96 is pretty darn accurate too even with its original recontoured barrel and two stage trigger. But I always kind of liked those old military triggers.

i love the old military trigger, expect the ww2 german mauser 98, its horrible!!!!!! i have a 1944 98 mauser and its trigger breaks at 14+/-lbs(estimate).

l have an 1898 springfield armory(1903) in 30-40 krag. it breaks at 5lbs(estimate). i have a husqvarna m46(1937) in 9.3x57. the husky is either '94 or '96 mauser(i think its a 96). it has a wonderful trigger, i think it breaks at 4lbs.

i had( gave it to oldest boy) a fn 98 mauser that was customized. the trigger was mush, so i got the timney trigger and it is set a 2 1/2lbs.

― Nikola Tesla

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Z1r,

Those look like some well outfitted boys! Nice rifles to start out with. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I was unable to put photos on this forum but here is a link to yesterday's find of mine

https://www.marlinowners.com/f...porterized-krag.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I was unable to put photos on this forum but here is a link to yesterday's find of mine

https://www.marlinowners.com/f...porterized-krag.html

Nice!!

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice Krag!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks Norman! I'm excited. I am going to try out some 220gr bullets with 40.0gr imr4350 and see how it does. I'd love to know the history of the gun...when it was sporterized and what it has taken..the barrel manufacturer..etc. Secrets will never be told. I removed the butt plate and pulled the stock off just to make sure there wasn't an ex-owner note in there with some neat information.

There are markings on the breech face of the barrel but it is difficult to make out what it is saying. Perhaps barrel manufacturer?

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Bump to top

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here’s a couple of my sporterized Mausers.

This one is my 1904 Portuguese-Vergueiro that Z1r did for me in 7x57..

This one is a Siamese Mauser in 45-70 that dpcd did.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
1979 - M1C Thumbhole Fajen stock. Button Buck. My first deer.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
This has not been taken out in the field just yet because I consider a 30-06 to be too much medicine for a whitetail deer. Not to mention, I think this is just too purdy Smiler to hunt with. Here is my 30-06 built off of an 1909 Obendorf Mauser action. color case hardened receiver. Looks like a John Rigby stalking rifle...

Posts: 592 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice !

Posts: 683 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, I know what your saying but I would be using that beautiful rifle every chance I got. Great rifle for sure !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
Great looking rifle! Very classic. Who did the great case colors?
Thanks,
Roger

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
Ramrod, I know what you’re saying but I would be using that beautiful rifle every chance I got. Great rifle for sure !

Took it on an Elk hunt years back only to have the ejector spring break break in it. Wasn’t able to shoot anything with it but thankfully I had a backup rifle with me at the time. Still waiting to bloody this rifle… won’t happen very often though I wouldn’t think.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogersGunWorks:
Ramrod,
Great looking rifle! Very classic. Who did the great case colors?
Thanks,
Roger

Was case hardened by Mr. Doug Turnbull. My gunsmith who built it is good friends with him, as both are members of the Guild. I think Turnbull cut him a deal on the case hardening. Robert (my ‘smith) tells me that you used to be able to case harden a rifle for around $150. Now he says it’s upwards of close to $600 give or take…

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 8x57 Erfurt.

A 7x57 Swede.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Love that 7mm Box. What kind of wood is that?

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote