Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GroundsKpr
posted
Need some help guys. I just bought a sport stock K98K rifle with a 20" barrel, bent bolt and "DOT" on the recriver. The guy I bought it from said it was a 8MM and sold me 70 rounds of 8MM amo in stripper clips marked 7 3-3 on the case. The bolt will not close with the amo in chamber. Do I have the wrong amo or is the rifle something other than 8MM??
Thanks

They say the older you get the wiser you get---Trust me it's easier to get older.

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe "dot" identifies the action as made in Brno; is the barrel military/stepped, or a replacement?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a guess mind you but maybe the extractor is not slipping over the rim if not fed directly from the magazine. The extractor needs to be slightly modified to ease feeding one cartridge at a time.

Some just squeeze the back of the extractor to raise the front up and over the rim.

Next suspect would be the ammo - hand loads maybe? Try a factory load etc.

FWIW --- John

One of Us
Picture of GroundsKpr
posted Hide Post
Good job John. You nailed it. Squeeze the back of the extractor and all is right in the world. Thanks for the help!!!

They say the older you get the wiser you get---Trust me it's easier to get older.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
It´s very simple; always feed from magazine with m98 Mauser and other controlled feed rifles.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GroundsKpr
posted Hide Post
Thanks Igorrock

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about easier, but it IS a lot cheaper in the long run...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind the Mauser was designed as a battle rifle to feed when full of sand or mud and to extract dirty bullets..Not a bad idea on a DG rifle either..

You can and many custom gun builders do cut and grind the extractors so they will feed by dropping a round in the chamber, but when this modification is done it weakens the extractor regardless of what some claim, I mean it takes not a seventh son of a seventh so to understane that removing metal weakens metal..

On top of all that its faster, more sure, to simply press a round down in the magazine and close the bolt, this can be done at a run or hanging upside down in a tree if your hunting monkies! tu2..

I can recall more than a few instances of hunters trying to drop a round in the chamber ended up with some kind of a malfunction, but mostly they ended up with a round on the ground..

However, the option is out there for each of us to make our own decision, and many like the drop in the chamber option, to each his own.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote