New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate Mosin-Nagant Sporter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so far i've only shot it out to 100 yards and i was getting 5 shot groups just under 1" with s&b 174gr hpbt ammo.
i'm going to try it out at 300 & 600 as soon as i get a chance.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yep only the Sako Mosin's are accurate

Well...I got my Mosin back that was in the plastic ATI stock from the smith who put a wood stock on it...just cause he likes me. Must be all that clean living Big Grin

He also bedded the action...so I threw my 12x load development scope on it to see what it could do. I will put the 1.5x5 back on for hunting.

Sierra 150grn Pro Hunters .311 H4350, CCI BR-2 primers

Loads were 53.0, 53.4, 53.8, 54.2, 54.6

53.0 grn load was 2.0 inches (not pictured)
54.6 grn load was 1.35 inches (not pictured)

53.4 to 54.2 was just awesome.

But even better excluding the flyer if you superimpose the groups, this rifle put 8 shots with three different charge weights into .78 inches

Not bad for 80 yr old milsurp.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
Here is my Mosin sporster. I use it for shooting grouse etc. big birds and it shoot well enough if bullet weight is 155 gr. max. Caliber is Finnis wildcat caliber 7x53R.

That is the first sporterized Mosin I have thought was good looking. I collect M-39 and M-91 Finnish Mosin Nagant rifles. Actually shot one on my lunch break today.

People have a lot of opinions and can be defensive. I fool with vehicles and firearms a bit and a lot of the comparisons I draw in life invoke one or the other. I look at military surplus rifles the same way I look at powerful automobiles from a bygone era. Impressive during their day, but dated. When I first learned to drive, the fuel injected 5.0 litre Ford Mustang was quite the show. Only made 210 horsepower, but with 3.73 rear gears, it would move compared to other new cars.

Time passes, the original users get something new and the 5.0 becomes commonplace. Folks with less money who always wanted one can now get one used, but they want it to be relevant in the modern context. Enter poorly chrome plated steel wheels, aftermarket stereos, purple paint, curb feelers and substandard engine repair work.

Same thing happens to surplus rifles. They are no longer state of the art and are affordable tot he masses. Some folks want a $150 hunting rig and have it in their mind that they need a scope to hunt deer and have no interest in learning to shoot irons or even stop to think that the military sights on most milsurp rifles are accurate with their iron sights.

Right off the bat, folks break out the hacksaw for the barrel, put on a plastic stock and a Leapers scope. When things don't work out, the user call it commie junk. I would say that is about the same as buying an 87 5.0 Mustang, with 150k miles on it, welding in a roll cage, tthrowing on a set of kumho winter tires and racing it in an off-road rally style event. It is destined for failure. It might cross the finish line, but any new Subaru will smoke it start to finish.

Folks who get down on people who like to keep milsurp rifles in stock condition complain about performance compared to new rifles. I kind of look at it differently. Buy a new Remington 30-06 Model 700 with factory open sights and try and shoot to three different targets varying from 150 to 500 yards with five shots. A five gallon bucket will work. Then try the same with a Finn capture Model 91 with open sights. It can be a real eye opener.

I am blessed with good eyesight. I don't use scopes to hunt. The max distance at my public range is 150 yards. I shoot from a standing position. It is hard to beat a Finnish M-93 in that game -- An Enfield No 4 Mk.1* is close, but still second place for me.

I don't chop up mil-surp rifles. I don't put purple paint on 5.0 mustangs either -- however, people are free to do what they want with their money. I don't begrudge them for that. When there is a perceived need, you make do. I have had to that with parts of my life lie everyone else.

I do really, really like the rifle in the above picture. I think that is more in the vein of a post WWII parker hale mauser than what we are discussing. That is a fine, fine looking rifle I would be proud to own.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Thanks ! Smiler Actually, my father bought this rifles action in 1960`s and let one local gunsmith to build it ready. I got this rifle when I was 18. Many years later I thought it is my time to build it a little bit more. Now it looks like in pictures but I´m going to chance the stock and some other details too. But the outfit after that will stay as classical as now.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
By the way, those Finnish army sniper versions could be very accurate. I know one quy who once shot with TAK 85 a 1.85" group in 546 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want two sets of those double-set triggers.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want two sets of those double-set triggers

Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own octagonal receivers. The rifle pictured would make a lovely 45-90, which is what I have in mind.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I´m sorry but what you mean double-set triggers with Mosin ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Older eyes.....he sees the shadow of the trigger in the last pic which appears as double triggers.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote