New
Find
Notify
Tools

ID caliber on a '98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
sportered Columbian 1898, made in Belgium; has a notch milled in the front receiver ring to accomodate longer cartridges. That would mean it was arsenal re-chambered, IIRC. What was the original chambering, and what was it rechambered to?

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Originally was and probably still is, 30-06 and the notch is factory original to allow clip loading with the M2 ball ammo. That Mauser question was too easy.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have a peruvian in 06 same notch. 30-06 was also stamped on the stock.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, appreciated.

tu2

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Originally was and probably still is, 30-06 and the notch is factory original to allow clip loading with the M2 ball ammo. That Mauser question was too easy.

-that's why I loaded jello in your pants while you pontificated Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Slug the bore. Many were made in 7.65 and later rechambered to 30-06 and the notch added to allow stripper clip loading. Have owned a couple that were pure milspec and had .311 bores with 30-06 chambers & the notch. Had gunsmith open up the neck a bit and they shot great with a ".311-06" handload. Regular M2 ball would keyhole @ 200 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bps10:
Slug the bore. Many were made in 7.65 and later rechambered to 30-06 and the notch added to allow stripper clip loading. Have owned a couple that were pure milspec and had .311 bores with 30-06 chambers & the notch. Had gunsmith open up the neck a bit and they shot great with a ".311-06" handload. Regular M2 ball would keyhole @ 200 yards.

-this I remember as being a possibility, thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I also have the Peruvian variation of the reworked Mauser 06. Mine has .30 stamped into the rear receiver ring. Upon inspection you should find that the magazine box has also been milled out to accommodate a longer case. Kind of a nice perk that other Mauser project actions lack.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote