Find
Notify
Tools

B&C P14/M17 Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Does anyone have a P14 or M17 Enfield in a B&C composite stock similar to the one pictured below?.....if so, I need a measurement from the centre of the front floorplate screw to the end of the fore-end.
I am building a wooden stock similar to the B&C for my 9.3x74R P14 ( they are discontinued and 2nd hand ones are as rare as an honest politician ) and I need the length purely for asthetics.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can't get a reply, take a ruler and measure the tang to tang of your TG on the pic. Then measure the distance marked in red. Using the actual length of the TG do a direct proportion calculation and you will have the distance.

Actual TG length
________________ X
TG length on pic

Front screw to forend tip needed

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I did actually think of that but I was just being lazy Whistling I estimate 245mm / 9 5/8"

.....its also handy to know someone else who has one if I need other dimensions that I can't get from a pic....

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only person who sees something strange about the comb angle on this stock? Is it an illusion, or does the comb actually slope down towards the action?

Perhaps they mixed up the photos, and it's an aftermarket stock for an M-79 grenade launcher...... Smiler

One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
I have this exact stock. The distance is 10 1/8" according to a quick tape measure check. I bought mine from Midway when they had it listed as a close out deeply discounted. I expected it to be similar to a Rem/Win/Mau and was surprised at the design. I have it on a .340 Wea. barreled 17 and needed to go to extra high rings to get the stock butt low enough to fit into my shoulder instead of above it.
Your P14 in 9.3x74r sounds interesting. I wonder about how well it feeds and ejects.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
CDSX, no its not an illusion, it does slope backwards. The owner of the rifle below had to remove the top of the comb to be able to use the open sights....

Larkin, thanks for that measurement and yes, feeding is a priority on this rifle but as the 9.3 is pretty much just an elongated 303,( the original chambering for the P14 ) I'm hoping it shouldn't be a big problem.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by yumastepside:
CDSX, no its not an illusion, it does slope backwards. The owner of the rifle below had to remove the top of the comb to be able to use the open sights....

That's too bad. I must admit, my wood-and-blue traditionalism aside, I think it's a pretty good-looking design other than that. I've no idea why they chose to adopt that reverse angle. A lot of people find a straight comb, parallel to the bore, visually more pleasing, even if it's not the ideal for function, but I fail to see the logic at work here.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of synthetic stocks, but I'm not so obsessed with aesthetics that I can't appreciate their obvious advantages. If I had to use a rifle as the tool of my trade, I'd probably be sensible enough to opt for one, and save the fine wood for my Sunday gun.

But then, I'm the odd individual that happens to like the look of the stepped bottom plates and dog-leg bolt handles of my Enfields, so who am I to judge aesthetics.... cuckoo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and by the way yumastepside, my compliments on your choice of cartridge. Not my personal favourite, but top marks on being your own man.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those comments cdsx, a traditionalist myself as far as walnut goes, there is a purpose for synthetic stocks, I myself only have two, this and my 8-06 Imp. They get the workout in snow and wet weather.To me an Enfield is an Enfield, don't try to smooth it out.
To me the choice of calibre was easy, the P14 is a rimmed action, the 9.3x74R has the same head size as the original 303 just longer and how many bolt action 9.3x74R's have you seen??.....easy!! Big Grin

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by yumastepside:
To me an Enfield is an Enfield, don't try to smooth it out.

Roger

Well said, that man!

And I now understand your rationale for the cartridge choice. Makes complete sense, the way you put it. And yes, there's a lot of grins to having the only one on your block... Cool