New
Find
Notify
Tools

sporterized mausers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a question for some of the more informed people on this site: If I wanted to purchase a sporterized 98 Mauser in 7x57, are there options that fall between paying upwards of 3-4 thousand dollars and paying 250 dollars for an old, possibly unsafe piece of crap? All of the research I have done so far seems to fall to one extreme or the other. Also, being in the northeastern US, are there any locations within reasonable distance where I could actually be able to check a few examples out in person? Just wondering.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
For a starter ,I have a 19" 7x57 new replacement barrel That I'd let go for $50.00 and shipping. I used 2 of these by just screwing them on a 98 action and use as is with no problem. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Buy an unsporterized 1935 Chilean Mauser carbine and have the best of all worlds, around $600.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Buy an unsporterized 1935 Chilean Mauser carbine and have the best of all worlds, around $600.

I have no hard evidence or studies to prove this, but after seeing years of postings on this board about good military mauser rifles and actions I am of the opinion that there are certain areas of the country where it is much easier to find good mausers.

Texas seems to be one of them. The pacific northwest seems to be another. But every once in awhile a person can get lucky and walk into a store and there it sits. Exactly the mauser that you were looking for in mint shape and for very reasonable cost.

It never ceases to amaze me the mausers that fla3006 seems to find. Its almost like he is a birddog with a nose for good masuers. Big Grin

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lindy, but I just watch GB & GI, don't do shows much anymore.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are more Mausers in Texas as there were more WW2 vets from there who brought them back. As opposed to other places, whose vets didi not care to bring a nasty old German rifle back. I asked my father and uncles why they didn't bring anything back; they all said they just wanted to get the hell out of there and had no interest in that junk. Texans, OTOH, thought,
"Cool, a free rifle!". That is my theory, and I have been collecting Mausers for 50 years.
(Of course, there were no 7mms there so none of this helps the OP)

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of those also. not for sale

quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
For a starter ,I have a 19" 7x57 new replacement barrel That I'd let go for $50.00 and shipping. I used 2 of these by just screwing them on a 98 action and use as is with no problem. beerroger

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

Boy... I'd like to find an nice one of these..

I love them just original the way they are..

MM

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You occasionally see a sporterized 1910 or 1936 Mexican in 7x57 on the Gunbroker. I bought one that was chambered in 6mm Rem and had it rebored and chambered to 7x57 for my grandson. Shoots really nice.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
One place to find sporterized mausers is in gun shops with lots of used guns - in hunting country, not the big city. Also, pawn shops. Junior inherits the old man's gun closet and hawks the contents for beer money.

If you wan't quality and collector value, type in German Guild Rifle in your gun broker search you'll find stuff like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562059109

Cabela's Gun Library usually has quite a few commercial Mauser sporters.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just today I stopped by a LGS/Pawn and found a matching well used, but dirty, 1908 Brazilian Mauser in full military configuration. The bore was dark, but may clean up enough to be "shootable". At $499, it was a little high for my needs, but then again, it was all matching numbers. Kinda rare these days.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I bought a Peruvian marked 7.65, turned out to be 30/06.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gracedog:
I have a question for some of the more informed people on this site: If I wanted to purchase a sporterized 98 Mauser in 7x57, are there options that fall between paying upwards of 3-4 thousand dollars and paying 250 dollars for an old, possibly unsafe piece of crap? All of the research I have done so far seems to fall to one extreme or the other. Also, being in the northeastern US, are there any locations within reasonable distance where I could actually be able to check a few examples out in person? Just wondering.

Yes! There is another option. Find a good M-98 variation (even an M-48 will work) at a pawn shop or ? for about $200.00 or less, all you need is a good action. Send it off to get re-barreled in 7X57 and add an aftermarket stock. I have a 257 Roberts built on an M-98 with a Shaw bbl that I have less than $500.00 into and it is a damn nice rifle. And that is a good alternative option from the extremes you mentioned.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for a Brno 21H or 22F in 7-57.

I found one a few years ago on a internet spot.

I may look now and come back to this topic to add.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Gracedog, Post just to let other readers know:

I figure my now you know (figured you knew for start):

K98 Mausers were barreled for 8x57 not 7x57 cartridges.

If your truly set on a K98, you'll have to have it rebarreled in 7x57.

As some above have mentioned, there are other model Mausers that were made in 7x57.
I revived this M95 Chilean Mauser some years ago:

If I were doing the project your wanting,
I personally would be looking for a Czech VZ-24 or a Yugo M48 and have it rebarreled to 7x57.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were some m98 rifles the went to SA that was chambered in 7 x 57.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HerrMesser:
There were some m98 rifles the went to SA that was chambered in 7 x 57.

Rad

Some 98's not K98's.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone's interested, I have a DWM 1909 Argentine action I'd be willing to part with...... Has Weaver bases installed, bolt's been bent, 1909 bottom metal, Timney Sportsman trigger, standard bolt face...

Porosonik

Vetting voters= racist. Vetting gun buyers= not racist. Got it?

Posts: 407 | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had looked for a bunch of years for a nice decent 7mm mauser. All the 1895 Chilean mausers I looked at were rode hard and put away wet. Found a Chilean model of 1912 in 7mm on the Mausercentral forum. Looked great in the pics and even better when I went to pick it up at my dealers. Even came with a bayonet for it. These rifles did not have the receiver blued and only found one spot of rust. The Steyr people did themselves proud on this one and has a beautiful bore as well. Check another off the grail list. Frank

One of Us
Picture of jshoney
posted Hide Post
Like its been said above you have to really haunt GB and Auction Arms. I purchased this 1936 Mexican in 7x57 for under $400. I added about $200 in parts (Timney trigger, recoil pad and barrel band). Action/barrel are prestine.

Posts: 146 | Location: Walburg, TX | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Still available: 09Argentine

Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have no hard evidence or studies to prove this, but after seeing years of postings on this board about good military mauser rifles and actions I am of the opinion that there are certain areas of the country where it is much easier to find good mausers.

Texas seems to be one of them. The pacific northwest seems to be another. But every once in awhile a person can get lucky and walk into a store and there it sits. Exactly the mauser that you were looking for in mint shape and for very reasonable cost.

H&K guns in Forest Grove Oregon has a dozen (or more) converted Model 98s in various calibers. Kurt is a good guy to deal with - give him a call @ (503) 357-6807

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for a Chilean modelo of 1912 that is in 7x57 and steyr made action. And with careful looking you can find a nice one. Mine had so much copper fouling that weeks later the Hoppes just comes out green. Don't have any plans to make a sporter out of it as the $$$ isn't there. Frank