Find
Notify
Tools

My .416 Taylor
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted
I've wanted a 416 Taylor for many years, and I finally built one for myself. I haven't built myself a rifle in about five years, and WOW have prices went up. I've spent just over 650.00 in the rifle and did everything myself except the side swing safety, Don Markey did it for me because I don't have a mill. All that's left is needing a set of Talley Q.R. rings and a scope, and it's ready to hunt with.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Nice! Very, very nice job. tu2

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdunlapmo:
tu2 Nice! Very, very nice job. tu2

+1, very Cool

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Which Mauser action? Looks swell!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I started with a VZ-24 action.

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mad Jack: The VZ-24 is a great choice. I remember when Big 5 was selling surplus VZ-24s for $89, and I didn't buy five of them!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Ya and sarco was selling '09 actions for 69.00 in 1991, those were the days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy cow. what a beauty !

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a job well done, looks great to me.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I ran across a deal on an old Redfield 3-9 Tracker scope and mounted it in Talley Q.D. rings and loaded some ammo and finally got around to going to the range today. It was in the mid 60's very little wind and all went pretty well as far as I can tell. I was wondering how the A&B barrel would shoot and I'm pleased, under an inch @ 100 yards off a bench. Recoil wasn't very bad off the bench either.

one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulH:
Where did you get the stock?

Looks like a "cleaned up" Boyds. The JRS can be made into a nice stock with some work.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
That was my guess, wasnt sure though.

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Yes the stock started as a Boyd's, a little rasping here and their, a ebony tip and cap and it's a hole new ball game.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
All scoped, sighted in and ready to go hunting, season opens Nov. 30th. I plan on videotaping my first deer using the 416 Taylor and see how my load, and bullet combination works on KS, White tails. After that I think I'll put it up and use another rifle for a little more longer range hunting.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
That is truly a beautiful rifle!!

Living and hunting in North America I've found 350 gr bullets more than adequate for all our game including the largest brown bears.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote