quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Krag gets some work.

That's more than talkin' right there.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tin Can, Larry.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I guess I better not mention the ol' boy that used a Md99 250-3000 Savage, 100 gr Rem Coreloks loaded to factory specs, OPEN sights, to hunt EVERYTHING from varmints to moose...I loaded the rounds for him for many years.

It ain't how big your shooter is, it how well you use it. Big Grin lol

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
I guess I better not mention the ol' boy that used a Md99 250-3000 Savage, 100 gr Rem Coreloks loaded to factory specs, OPEN sights, to hunt EVERYTHING from varmints to moose...I loaded the rounds for him for many years.

It ain't how big your shooter is, it how well you use it. Big Grin lol

Luck

My brother hunted with great success his entire life and never owned a scoped rifle; oh yes, it can surely be doneSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Krag demonstrates that "generational thing". When I was a boy all the really old guys had krags. They were good rifles, available cheap and were current issue when they were young. My dad's generation tended to have 03 springfields.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya know,
I have never seen a Krag with an engraved action. Seems a pitty too as it would be a natural for it.

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
Ya know, I have never seen a Krag with an engraved action. Seems a pitty too as it would be a natural for it.

http://www.finegunmaking.com/

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!!!! tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beauty indeed. Krags, you got to love them.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, its a natural.
And now I have more pics to save.
Just Lovely

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Michael , thanx for the pics.

That makes 3 engraved Krags I've seen in my life.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thing show up at a local rifle shop here.. The area in off the beaten path ( sorta), we get a lot of California retirees. You can tell when one has passed away, that was a rifle nut or hunter. This shop ends up with all sorts of old stuff on the rack..

I picked up a Sporterized 1898 Krag Carbine model for $225 or so at the time. Stock was changed from the military one, but besides that, it is all original. Had a Lyman rear site and a Redfield front site on it. I figured from the style of stuff, I was sporterized back during the 50s or so..

After studying some Cast Bullet data, I decided to just test it, to see how it would shoot.
Did some loads of 30 grains of IMR 4198 and 25 grains of SR 4759 with 168 grain Match bullets I ended up with, that were Nosler factory seconds that I got cheap over at their factory in Bend.

I had about a 3 inch group with open sites at 200 yds with that 1898 barrel! I don't stray far from what works on that rifle..

I have a very accurate barrel, and as far as the stock goes, my wife has no interest in rifles whatsoever but does have a big interest in antique furniture..., when she saw it she commented on that being a pretty piece of wood..

within the last few weeks at the range, there was an older guy ( an retired Idaho transplant)

that had a Krag that was handed down thru his family bought by his grandfather ( he was in his early 70s)..he said it was getting where the bluing was worn off and the stock needed refinishing..

so he had the stock redone and then Parkerized the metal on it.... had to admit, it looked rather good and was doing some spectacular groups at 200 yds..

like me, he relied on 30 grains of IMR 4198, RL 7 or 25 grains of SR 4759.. he was shooting Sierra 175 and 190 grain HP Match bullets..

I love my old Krag...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
This my Krag.all-time favorite cast bullet gun.

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
I'm just in from rechecking clicktable and sight in my Norwegian Krag sporter. I didnt bring a lot of ammo so I shot most with a sling and just two threeshot groups from a rest. The "worst" of the two groups fitted my snuffbox exactly, center to center. Thats 7cm/2,76 inch and not bad at 320 yards. Its fitted with a bedded sporter stock, a 28" Heym match barrel and aperturesights.

The best part is that it always shoots like that. When I get to it I will shoot several fiveshot groups to see whats repeatable. Its a competition this weekend with ranges from 100 to 400+ meters and I hope to beat a lot of Sauer 200STR's.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got a photo of the rifle, 900 SS? Love to see it.

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
I only had this on the computer, I'll try to remember to take some pictures from this weekends competition.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This my Krag.all-time favorite cast bullet gun.

404's is a carbon copy of mine...except mine is a little better aesthetic shape.. and someone put an Old Ithaca Shot Gun's Recoil pad on it..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I envy you guys with Krags, I've always wanted one. They sure ain't cheap any more.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
You all have probably heard about Krag's that wont shoot when they are wet. I have never tested this myself, until today. At a competition the snowflakes were marsmallow-sized, and I couldnt keep the gun dry at all. From 36 shots fired at ranges from 100 to 450 meters, three hit. Normally I'm happy if I'm into the 20's from 30 shots.

My conclusion is that shooting wet ammo in a wet Krag is wasted ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard that and for the life of me cannot understand why it would make a difference unless it was REALLY wet.

Not saying your wrong... just, surprised.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was because of the barrel band on the full stocks kept the barrel vibration stable due its one lucking lock. When you had match rifle or carbine the barrel would twist in the shot and the shots was going up to the left when it was wet.

Many solutions was tried, strapping the barrel tightly with straps etc, but none worked so the shooters had a rifle that would consistently set its bullet up to the left. Te solutions was as many as that started the question of solving the riddle.

Some used to zero in the rifles with wet bullet heads to to be able to get away from that . Or to use a rag scrubbing all moist away from the rifle and ammo on range and in fields.

There was in the field match shooters, also invented home made solutions like putting a umbrella mount rig to keep the rifle stable during wet weather field shooting .

But as the wet cartridges pressure rises in Krags , it wasn't recommend to do so.

Svein Solli our legendary gun writer had his pet rifle, an Krag with semi stock on, with a Zeiss 4x in clawmount. Delicious rifle and a friend of me has a full stocked Krag .

Estimated poi change when it became wet was ca 30 cm up to the left.

Over to cartrdges,
We had several in 6.5 that was designed with the various field of game in line . From moose, the ordinary 160 rnd nickel jacketeded one. even one for seal hunting, 160 grain, but bigger lead tip on it , bit similar to Kynock various models. a 5 gram bullet for roe , fox, and running deer shooting, 5 grams in 950 meters + was impressive then, and very good this days also. Many loads in 6,5 was made. But also a 8x57 IS moderat, nicknamed stomperud Krag , for the noggy nazis, and others. i dont have a picture of it, but think of a krag mix M98, . Reduced velocity was 10 % ess than the original 8mm mauser.

Then it was the 8x54, the 6.5x55 case necked out to 8mm, made by norma, i have seen a Swedish mauser in that caliber, nordic round, looked ok to use. but low speed compared to all else.

.22 Krag was one, same velocity as .22-250 .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Any body have a source to age Krags by serial number?
I just bought/stole one from Gunbroker that is semi sporterized. Other than a cobbled up front sight and a little bad checkering it is a beauty.
I will install a vintage Lyman or Redfield front sight and use it as it is.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Just answered my own question.
Here is a link that may help others who want to check for manufacture dates.

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/milmods.htm

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I just bought/stole one from Gunbroker that is semi sporterized. Other than a cobbled up front sight and a little bad checkering it is a beauty.

PHOTOS!!!

let's get a look at that beaut Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:

PHOTOS!!!

+2

You need any help getting it up and running feel free to ask

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to have one of the Krag target stocks like the one 900SS has.
Does anyone know of a source?

It makes the old girl real exotic. Cool

Cheers, John

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:

PHOTOS!!!

I'll try to get a picture this weekend and get it on here. I have it all apart right now inspecting and cleaning it. I am cleaning the stock probably with Murphy's oil soap. I want it to retain that old look but get some of the junk off it. I removed the bubba job front sight and have not installed a new sight yet but it will be soon. My pictures will probably be without a front sight.
Thanks for the offer Barstooler I appreciate that. I think this one will go back together just fine and besides I still owe you for those Whelen dies!
Pictures soon!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have put aside some 30-40 Krag brass. If you need some initial cases will be happy to provide.

Also if you decide to go cast bullets with your Krag, I have a Lyman 311284 GC bullet mold (220gr) and sizers based on .308, .309, .310 and .311 diameter.

Barstooler

p.s. How has that Whelen worked out?

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got a good mould* for the Dane and dies from CH4D and started shooting it.

Rich

* NOE is making a "fat323471" version of the old Lyman mould. As cast, they mike .3265" and just fit with the GC at the bottom of the neck.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barstooler:
I have put aside some 30-40 Krag brass. If you need some initial cases will be happy to provide.

Also if you decide to go cast bullets with your Krag, I have a Lyman 311284 GC bullet mold (220gr) and sizers based on .308, .309, .310 and .311 diameter.

Barstooler

I couldn't take it and went to Specialty Sports and bought 2 boxes of 30/40 180 grainers in Winchester silver box so that will give me some brass too when I'm through those.
The 35 Whelen dies have been used to load for my brothers rifle, my 35 is still incomplete.
Sooooo many projects to keep on the path Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barstooler:

Barstooler

I couldn't take it and went to Specialty Sports and bought 2 boxes of 30/40 180 grainers in Winchester silver box so that will give me some brass too when I'm through those.
The 35 Whelen dies have been used to load for my brothers rifle, my 35 is still incomplete.
Sooooo many projects to keep on the path Eeker

You could always simplify your life and give some to me!!! fishing

Barstooler

One of Us
posted Hide Post

whaddayathink???...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Now that is a pretty classy old Krag!
The style looks kinda middle eastern or med. What's the rest of the story?
Nice Paul is she yours?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting stock, very well done. The color is attractive and looks right on that rifle. The more Krags I see the more I want one. Wouldn't mind an 03 Greek Mannlicher either.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes the gun is mine ,,this guy in the pic was a promotional trick shooter for remington,it was his gun and he customized it as stated in his pic,,its not up to GandH standards but its interesting anyway...paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me with these Krags. Damn, I want one bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
you know your gun dates back when it has a giant sloth engraved on it. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
Ya know, I have never seen a Krag with an engraved action. Seems a pitty too as it would be a natural for it.

http://www.finegunmaking.com/

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Here is my little "beaut"
She needs a front sight, and a rear sight filler and touch up the blue where I removed the "cobbled" front sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorta reminds me of the one Lee Marvin carried in Death Hunt...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is my little "beaut"
She needs a front sight, and a rear sight filler and touch up the blue where I removed the "cobbled" front sight.

nice 'un Smiler