New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help please ID an ODD Mauser!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is Czecholslovakian, I know that the proof marks tell me, and I think that maybe around the 1960s? Besides it has Made in Czechoslovakia also stamped on the barrel.

But that is mere guesswork from the .65 of the serial number. Maybe I've added 2 + 2 and not got 4 by doing that!

Before I took the metalwark out of the stock I was guessing a confiscated German Model 98 Sporter that an enterprising Czech gun smith had shoved a CZ BRNO barrel in 270 Winchester on to.

But then I took the woodwork off and saw the "Z" in a circle trade mark. So BRNO made receiver.

Serial number handstamped, not well aligned, to barrel is 3260 about halfway along and then on the barrel and receiver ring serial number 5248.65 is stamped well aligned.

Calibre is .270 Winchester and barrel looks typical BRNO offering. So 23 1/2" long and on the underside of the reciver is the "Z" in a circle that was the BRNO trade mark.

Now. I think that the stock is a replacemeent as there is no sidewall cut out in the WOOD to match that on the metalwork of the receiver.

Here's a picture from the auction catalogue. No lightening cuts under the woodwork so I don't think that it is a "33" Model just a standard "98" Model.

So, gentlemen, please, any ideas?

It has a sling swivel in the forestock and not a sling swivel on a barrel band. Forestock is typical splinter with a "schnabel" end and runs a good half way along the barrel length. Just the same sort of length as a modern USA sporting rifle. Definitely NOT a shot fore-end as on a, say, British 1920s sporter with barrel band mounted sling swivel.

But the auctioneers did say that the wood was a replacement. Fits like a glove BTW for all that.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
One off, hand job? I mean hand built by an individual smith and not a factory produced rifle. Maybe.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I am thinking that too. It has the cut out on the receiver so it can't be a Model 21 or Model 22 BRNO Mauser sporting rifle.

It's a puzzle. If it shoots it's a keeper. As it looks like those pre-war mauser Model A and Model B type sporters.

Certainly the idea is to make it into a lookalike for a Purdey stalking rifle from that sort of period.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we're guessing anyway, 98a receiver (small ring, large thread?, bolt ? but military configuration, bottom metal 98 - WW2 military style. Barrel & calibre? but likely a rebarrel
at some time. Still a nice rifle. JM2ctsW --- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the bolt handle a butterknife/ball combination? -whatever, it's seems unique&a handsome accent.

quote:
It's a puzzle. If it shoots it's a keeper. As it looks like those pre-war mauser Model A and Model B type sporters.

me too and I'd keep it even if it had very so-so accuracy. close range from a stand would fix that and make an enjoyable day.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle was made at the CZ Brno factory in 1946 or 1947 just prior to earliest production of the ZG 47 which was designed in 1947 but not produced until a year or so later. This is a factory sporter and has not been restocked.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input.

One thing that does puzzle is that whilst the (metal) receiver has the thumb cut on the left side the woodwork is not cut or recessed to accomodate it.

Any ideas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Predecessor to the BRNO 21 and 22, rare but a number of them here in Canada, very collectable should be a small ring 98 like the VZ33. Too bad the front ring was butchered with all the holes!

Mitch C Kendall

Posts: 27 | Location: Kamloops, British Columbia | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of Jelen, but all the Mauser rifle actions, made at BRNO that I have ever seen, prior to the end of ww2, show no changes from the German 98 Mauser; the Czechs got the machinery to make them as war reparations after WW1. (They did make changes to the stocks and fittings) So I don't know what modifications he made.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for that. I could not have found this out I don't think. There's no source I know about these rifles. I'll try to do some pictures to show the stock. As noted the metal receiver has the cut out but the wood stock does not have that corresponding area removed to match.