THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    Looking for a Mauser action and advice

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a Mauser action and advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wanting to put a rifle together for my grandson, with him helping me do it in the progress.

I am wanting to do it off a bolt action and have been looking for a Mauser style; either sporterized military of commercial one. I am considering calibers from 6.5x55 up to 30-06

I would appreciate any advice on which action to use ,of the many Mauser styles, and if anyone has one they would like to sell please PM me

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to sporterize a Mauser the VZ-24s are a good choice. They are still relatively inexpensive and availabe. As far as commercials go, the Sears Higgins and Wards W. Fields were built on commercial FN actions. They are also a good place to start.

VZ-24:

Sporterizing a military Mauser can very easily run twice (or more) what you'd pay for a used FN.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input, especially about the cost to convert!
shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the goal is share quality time with your grandson, and learning the intricacies of rifle building, then by all means scrounge up a quality military Mauser 98 and have a go at it. (If in doubt about the definition of 'quality', get some advice before plunking down coin of the realm.) It's a rewarding experience that every rifle loony should do at least once in his life.

If the goal is to merely put the grandson into a good cheap hunting rifle, there are other more cost effective ways to do it, as stated above.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
I am wanting to put a rifle together for my grandson, with him helping me do it in the progress.

I am wanting to do it off a bolt action and have been looking for a Mauser style; either sporterized military of commercial one. I am considering calibers from 6.5x55 up to 30-06

I would appreciate any advice on which action to use ,of the many Mauser styles, and if anyone has one they would like to sell please PM me

Samco has Mauser M98k and M96 barreled actions!

https://www.samcoglobal.com/index.html

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion but "putting" together a rifle can be a costly, time consuming endeavor and though your heart may be in the right place the ardor could wain - especially in the grandson. I personally did the following. I purchased complete military style sporters (x3) and then "refreshed" the whole thing. Cheaper but still instills all the fundamentals of good gun care etc. Should you decide to build there are numerous suitable Mauser actions (except for fit, finish and metallurgy a 98 Mauser is a 98 Mauser be it a small / large ring). Some makes have more collector / snob appeal, 33-40, Oberndorf, come to mind, IMHO a vz24 (price wise) today is as good as it gets. --- John303.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the imput.

I am looking at a couple of vz24 actions that have been reworked by Kimber, back in the dayswhen they were "sportizing" these as well as the Swedish actions.

the price is not to bad aand I would only need to change out the trigger.

thanks again
shane

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a kimber vz24 sporterized 338 that I've hunted almost exclusively with for 15 years. wish I'd have bought a couple more of these when they were readily available. passed on a m96 6.5 that I'm kicking myself for not jumping on.

gabe

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Craigster. I have had a Fields 30'06 for 20+ yrs built on a FN Mauser action. It's a tack driver. I'm about to get it converted into a .416 Taylor. Still mullin' it over though. It just shoots so damn good. If I do my part it will do 3/4" to 1" at 100yds. That's pretty good for my old ass eyes. My son inherited a Springfield in 30'06 that has been customized and I'm damned envious of it. Whoever did it did a damn good job.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks for the input, especially about the cost to convert!
shane

My first Mauser sporter was a K-98 that still had its original 8mm bbl, but the previous owner already converted it with a welded bolt handle, Leupold scope base and buehler saftey. Its been a while but I picked that one up from a pawn shop for about $200.00 then added a better stock and a Shaw bbl. That is an often overlooked option, there are lots of used Mausers that have already been sporterized for reasonable prices and just need some sprucing up. I do love the JC Higgins/Interarms option though. I now have several Mausers and the best actions of mine are probably the FN made actions. VZ 24's are not bad at all. I have a few M-48 Yugo's that I like to use for stuff like 308 based rounds as well. But their prices seem to have gone up and they can be a bit rough. My most recent pick up is an old Peruvian FN that was converted to 30-06 by FN back in the day. Nice and slick with action already opened up to accomodate an 06 round.

FWIW. Wink

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Reagen was in office I had my license at that time.Mauser bannered 98 actions went for $50.00,new 98 rifles still in the cosmoline w /bayonet,etc. for $150.00 ea. All matching serial# P-o8 Lugers for $300.00 ea.People that has not been that long ago!

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend a Turkish M38 donor with a 6.5 Swedish chambered sporter barrel. If the donor has a good barrel, then it could be re-contoured to an old school profile w/o the steps. Once the receiver extension is machined off it can be fitted to any M98 aftermarket sporter stock. Lets say you send it off to a company like E. R. Shaw and let them do the bolt, d&t, install/headspace one of their barrels, and you rust blue it and fit to a aftermarket stock, you may get out for under $500.

quote:

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a custom (or even a semi-custom) Mauser 98 rifle of my choice of caliber. I came across a 1909 Argentine Mauser action that already had some work done on it; i.e., a welded on low scope bolt handle, low scope swing safety, and drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I also came across an old stock w/ a scratched up ugly lacquer finish for a 98 Mauser. I had the local GS install a new heavy sporter barrel, reblue everything and I installed a new Timney trigger. I refinished the stock. The GS cut the chamber of the 6.5 barrel to 6.5x55 Swedish. It is a very accurate rifle and I can say it is custom made for me. Will post some pictures soon.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a really clean looking large ring Husqvarna .270 for sale at a good price on the 24-hour campfire site. Great actions and the ones I have and have had previously are great shooters.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a waste of time and money to work on a military action and make a sporter out of it.

There are millions of existing rifles.

Buy one already made.

One I like from the past is the JC Higgins mauser sporter. M50 and M51. The 51's had checkering.

There are others.

The M70's are mauser like.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage_99:
It's a waste of time and money to work on a military action and make a sporter out of it.

Buy one already made.

One I like from the past is the JC Higgins mauser sporter. M50 and M51. The 51's had checkering.

There are others.

The M70's are mauser like.

It's not a waste of time, only more expensive.

I too like the FN actions but there is nothing as nice as a good custom Mauser. To each his own.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Your rifles are beautiful.

I have a custom Mauser and others including pre 64 70's.

I am aware of many of the reasons why each one is preferred or better.

Keep at it. These forums are great what with the pictures such fabulous guns such as yours.

To add after your picture came on I can now see what may be a half octagon or ribbed barrel.

Great stuff.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
How bout 260, 7-08, 7X57, 308, 338-08, 358, 30-06

one of the Sears actions is also a Win. Mod 70, blind box action

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Buy one already made.

At least start with an all steel Higgins FN.
It will be less expensive in the long run and it will have some resale value.
Modify it later or in small stages.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveJust a thought; get a used Savage bolt action , or Stevens. Get a barrel made,cut it crown it and screw it on. Play with the trigger or get one from Sharp Shooter and replace the old one. Modifying the stock is always a nice busy time venture for the two of you. It can be quick fun and the boy stands less chance of getting burned out on the project. fishing
I even know were a Steven's .270, almost new, barrel can be had for peanuts and shipping. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My grandson will be graduating college next year and his dad and I were thinking about what to get him, that would be really special. A custom rifle. I was looking for a donor action and came across an old Remington 721 in 270, 1948 manufacture, so the project is off the ground. I have a Shilen barrel, a 6X42 Kahles scopes that I was not using, Conetrol mounts, BDL bottom metal, Timney trigger and a very nice English Walnut stock I purchased last spring from another AR member. I am not a big Remington fan but I like that fact it was made before castings became the norm.

I could have given him one of my Pre 64'S, but he will get one when I am gone anyway. I know that it would have been a little cheaper to find a nice rifle for him, but it would not be the same as a custom that will shoot around corners???? Yep, he will graduate from Texas A&M so, my gunsmith had an old non useable Remington barrel and we put a 90' bend in it passed the stock. Kind of fitting for an Aggie.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swifter 220:
My grandson will be graduating college next year and his dad and I were thinking about what to get him, that would be really special. A custom rifle. I was looking for a donor action and came across an old Remington 721 in 270, 1948 manufacture, so the project is off the ground. I have a Shilen barrel, a 6X42 Kahles scopes that I was not using, Conetrol mounts, BDL bottom metal, Timney trigger and a very nice English Walnut stock I purchased last spring from another AR member. I am not a big Remington fan but I like that fact it was made before castings became the norm.

I could have given him one of my Pre 64'S, but he will get one when I am gone anyway. I know that it would have been a little cheaper to find a nice rifle for him, but it would not be the same as a custom that will shoot around corners???? Yep, he will graduate from Texas A&M so, my gunsmith had an old non useable Remington barrel and we put a 90' bend in it passed the stock. Kind of fitting for an Aggie.

Is your post a joke?

You had a 90' bend put on a rifle barrel?

Did you mean a 90 degree bend past the end of the stock?

This is a gift for a graduate?

I won't comment on the 721 action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
99,Aggie jokes are common down here.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course it is a joke. The old remington bbl he had in the shop was off a 7 mag and had a slight bulge in it just past the chamber. We put a nice bend in it past where the end of the stock will be.

I know what you mean about the 721, but a neighbor had it and the stock was broke/cracked bad and the old scope that was on it was junk. Got it for 45 dollar American.

When all is done, he will have a nice rifle.

Norman, the jokes may slow a little after the whoppin they gave OU.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
swifter,

Your on ignore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
npd345

Have you considered a CZ 550 American? I have one in 6.5x55 that I love. I've had CZ's with the hogback stock in 375 H&H and .30-06 that I liked as well. I think you can still find new 550 American's for close to $600.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thank all of you for your advise and suggestions.

We have completed the rifle.

it is based on a 1950 JC Higgins FN action. It has been re barreled to 7x57mm. The barrel is a Adams & Bennett and shoots like a dream.

It features a Jim Kobe two position safety, Talley barrel band and sling swivel mounts.

It is stocked in a piece of English walnut that was duplicated by a fellow AR member "slowmover12"

My grandson did most of the wood finish work. He has numerous hours into the rifle and has a great pride of ownership because of his involvement in the project.

The checkering was done by John Reese of Montana.

The finish is cerakote "Royal Blue" to which twice the normal amount of hardener was added to. This brings out the "blue" better and gives it more of a luster.

I have been bitten by the Mauser bug pretty bad.

I have completed a 338-06 on a 50's era Moroccan Mauser 98. A 30-06 on a Parker Hale commercial 98 action. I am currently working, and near complete, on a 470 AccRel based on a VZ-24 action. "Jeffeosso" has been a tremendous help with this project.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle. Now if we can get the reamer!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe, that means a lot coming from you.

As far as the reamer goes I guess anything worth having is worth waiting for!