Find
Notify
Tools

M17-P14 Rear sight ears
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Has anyone done or seen a nice reduction job on these elephant jugs, I'd like to keep the rear sight on my P14, but need to reduce the jug handles.
Pics would be helpful Big Grin

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone respond to yuma, I want the info and really want to see some pics myself.

Wink

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Yeah!Come on , where's all the experts ? old

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of very nicely sporterized M1917 rifles. Each done by someone many years ago. Both had the ears completely removed. While I'm hardly a M1917 expert, have seen a fair number of their sporterized pics and etc. While surely someone did it, I can't recall ever seeing a M1917 with the "jug handles" just reduced.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a great picture of what can be done in your previous thread. Remington took a cue from what gunsmiths were doing in the post WW1 years and produced the 720. Basically, the rear bridge is given a Mauser 93 contour to make it lower than the front and more pleasing to the eye. The bolt handle is straightened, floorplate leveled, and bolt converted to cock-on-open. Google can be your friend.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.......nothin'........looks like I'll have to do it myself and show you how its done Whistling.......pics to follow Wink

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
.......nothin'........looks like I'll have to do it myself and show you how its done Whistling.......pics to follow Wink

Roger

I was looking at the receiver I have and it seems you could reduce the ears to a uniform height. The original sight ladder and its spring would have to go, and a different, compact sight might be used, attached to a plug for the duck pond, if your receiver has one.

First thoughts, anyway.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have removed the ears but not reduced them. Basically I cut them off with a dremel tool then rounded sides and reduced top to even with front of action. Then took some off the left back side and finished shaping all with a file. Overall not a tough job. Has the original barrel, a drop in replacement for the original trigger that eliminates the two stage and is adjustable. Rifle will hold 1.25 inches with 165 grain boat tails at 125 yards

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bruce, not too bad. I think if it was tapered downwards to the front it would look even better, the ladder would be a bit exposed, but I could live with that tu2

Roger