Find
Notify
Tools

Spanish 93 still has it.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted
This rifle belonged to my grandfather and he passed it to my father and my father passed it to me 28 years ago. In the spring of every year I take it out and check the zero. I use it primarily for a truck rifle. For Coyotes and Rockchucks/Woodchcucks. Since my grandfather and my father have both passed, this rifle means the world to me. I have tried to talk myself into reblueing it and putting a bastonge walnut stock on it many times but I can't bring myself to change the form it was in when it was first handed to me.

Every year I fear the barrel will give up the ghost. I have shot this rifle allot over the years.

I have run the same load and bullets for as long as I can remember. After this group I just sat and smiled, just something neat about a old rifle that shoots.

The top group were all 139gr Hornady's. The bottom group was after a scope adjustment. I shot one of the 139gr Hornady's. Then I shot one of the 162gr Hornady's to confirm my point of impact compared to the 139's. Stacked them right on top of each other. Did this from the prone off a bipod and a wool blanket as my rear bag.

Just a couple it's rolled over the years.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice history - still getting the job done! Another reason that the 7X57 has the following that it does.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2 WOW !!! claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice buck; many Spanish 93s I have seen (guy brought one in this week) the receivers are so soft that lugs set back in short order.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one a lot like that but in a scout set up shoots well to

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle. Love the 7mm Mauser, I have one in a Ruger #1. Perfect deer and hog caliber.

You've inspired me to do a post of my own. Thanks!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
7x57 Mauser - the caliber that God shoots!

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
That was my first big game rifle I had when I was a kid. It cost me $40 if I remember right. Laugh all you want about their supposed shortcommings but mine was a faithful companion for most of my youth.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
That was my first big game rifle I had when I was a kid. It cost me $40 if I remember right. Laugh all you want about their supposed shortcommings but mine was a faithful companion for most of my youth.

-39.95, a 95 Chilean in concours condition delivered by the mailman. I bough another two years ago, bubba sporterized not badly for three bills.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

My father used to always say. "Not to shabby for a 39.00 mail order rifle".

Posts: 770 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 18 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Took a short walk with it this morning and bagged a couple chucks.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with those kind of results from the oldest, rimless sporting cartridge on the planet.. I LOVE my 7X57!

I think one of those small ring actions in 7X57 or 257 would make a peach of a lightweight mountian rifle.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote