Find
Notify
Tools

Vergueiro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
It's time to throw some barrels and bits on some of these actions I've had stashed away for years.......so I'm looking for a calibre for this portuguese action......I was thinking something along the lines of a 9x57,being an MS style action it will be a short barrel, full wood ......probably Confused
"I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure " I'm open to your advice and wealth of experience animal

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 9x57 as you describe I think it would be a desirable and unique rifle- I would not have thought of that combination of cartridge/carbine/Mannlicher stock on this action.

Now it's got my wheels turningSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of mine, in 7x57. Nice light stalking rifle. In this guise, it weighs 6lb 10oz, loaded.

I have another action which I intend building into a 9x57.

Posts: 50 | Location: East of the black stump,NSW. | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afro408:
Here's a pic of mine, in 7x57. Nice light stalking rifle. In this guise, it weighs 6lb 10oz, loaded.

Verry nice, any chance of a close up of the rear sight?

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
Sure thing, tin can.

I killed some goats and pigs, with the rifle, using the open sights, but the rifle has a Kahles 6x42 scope on on it now, in custom mounts.
I've designed and built all the extras on this.
Rear sight in the white.

Front sight.

Meopta scope in the custom mounts.

The Meopta is too heavy for the rifle and over-balances it, so I changed to the lighter Kahles.

Water Buffalo horn trigger guard. Only weighs a couple of oz.
Rifle has a blind magazine, holding 3 rounds.

Posts: 50 | Location: East of the black stump,NSW. | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Now we're talkin'......very nice tu2 tu2
Where in New South are you ?

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
Near Armidale, Roger.

Tony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
appreciated Wink

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afro408:

Very nice clean looking rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rub Line.
It's a pleasure to carry while hunting. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
afro408,

Nice lines. I've considering something similar. Where did you get the stock?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. Last year I put a custom together on a Hungarian Mannlicher. I would have preferred that it was in unaltered full military guise, but it was sporterized. I went with the 7x57 with it. Mine has the remake of the old Redfield Mannlicher scope mounts. They require that the butter knife bolt handle be very close and parallel to the stock.

I have a custom 96 Swede done by Husky in 9.3x57 and love it. The 9x57 is very close to it.

One of Us
Picture of afro408
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELeeton:
afro408,

Nice lines. I've considering something similar. Where did you get the stock?

Eric

Thanks Eric,
I made the stock. Copied from a modified PH 243 stock. I used the old PH stock as a pattern, after removing the cheek piece and bogging the old bolt handle groove etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PH is Parker-Hale I take it?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote