Find
Notify
Tools

Any Krag shooters here?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Reason I ask is I happened to be looking at .30-40 brass at Graf's and darned if they don't have a bunch of Captech overrun brass cheaper than either Hornady or Privi Partizan.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I still shoot my father's old Krag sporter that he bought as a teen in the early 1930s. It has the receiver peep, and shoots quite well. I have probably 200 brass on hand, but thanks for the heads-up.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon, if you ever deign to bless us with images of said Krag, thank you in advance.

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill,thanks for the heads up. I also am in pretty good shape for brass. No point in trying to post pics of mine that I made into a scout.The external looks about normal;the beauty + 98% of the labor are internal.It has to be seen to be appreciated.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, just curious about the length of the barrel. Shoot mostly jacketed, or cast?

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Krags are great, smoother even than M-S rifles. I'm the current custodian of a '96 sporter w/receiver sight. It likes 220 sierras (or Hornadys) loaded mild with 40 grs of H4350 and, oddly enough, the 150 gr Barnes TSX made for 30-30 with 34 grains of 3031 seated to 3.030". I haven't chronographed the TSXs yet, but they'll even feed from the magazine most of the time.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have two, a pretty nice old sporter, and a Siam Mauser conversion in 30-40. Fun shooters, both. FWIW, easy to make functional 30-40 brass from 303 Brit.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,I cut + crowned the bbl. @ 18". I shoot the Sierra 220 G. R.N. jacketed.I have several 30 cal. moulds but that Sierra works so well I just leave it alone.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Takes a lot of elk to stop one of those 220-grain RNs, or so I have heard.

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,those bullets are real thumpers.I have not shot an elk with it but many deer. However,knowing the data I have no doubt of it's performance.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I am good on brass, too, but thanks for the notice. I have a '96 that started as a Bannerman sporter, with a genuine carbine stock. The barrel was shot out so I put a replacement Criterion carbine barrel on it that I got from CMP, and a carbine front sight. It is now all correct except for the rear sight, which is a rifle sight.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Is the Captech/Grafs brand brass better than the Winchester brass that is available? I see I can get the Winchester brass cheaper than the Captech/Grafs even with those being on sale

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Ended up ordering a 100ct of the Sierra #2180 220gr ProHunter along with 50pc of Hornady brass. Can't wait to get out and shoot this thing

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
i don't know about graffs brass. i'm still using 1960's remington and winchester brass. i bought 50 pcs of remington brass in 2012 or 13 and they are ok.

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote