The Accurate Reloading Forums
Mauser question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3281019521/m/5301017491

05 December 2013, 21:36
Atkinson
Mauser question
Not sure where to put this post, but I suppose here is as good as any..

I have a really nice 98 std. Mauser action, fully engraved, Austrian or German in origin, skinny stock, prince of whales grip, egg cheek piece claw mounts and its barrel is missing. I would like to build a nice rifle out of it, and since its a std. length I may opt for a .270 barrel. its light and recoil could be rugged with much more. I also have on hand a nice 8x57 barrel of the same era. It is marked Germania Waffenwerk A.G.Sella-Mehlis 8x57J nich for S.

My question is it has the following markings on the side of the front action ring: Can anyone positively identify these marking, I have not been able to.

2.7gG.B.P.
St. M. G.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
06 December 2013, 06:40
Bobster
Ray, ST, M. G. stands for Stahl Mantel Geschoss or steel jacketed bullet. That would be a cupro nickle clad soft steel jacket the Germans used. It was a kinda silvery-gold color. 2.7g G.B.P. likely stands for the powder charge of German flake ballistite powder, about 42 grains. That would have been what it was proofed with.
06 December 2013, 20:15
Atkinson
Thanks Bobster,
Thats what I needed to know..and the 8x57J along with the added Nich for S tells me its a 8x57JS for .323 bore bullets, correct?

In 1920 they changed from the .318 to .232 bore size and added the S to the J and called it an 8x57JS and most were stamped that way..This one has 8x57 nich for S, so was it modified from a .318? or just stamped that way..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

06 December 2013, 20:53
ikesdad
I thought they went to the .323 in 1905.

......civilize 'em with a Krag
07 December 2013, 05:25
dpcd
The J is really an I, which means Infanterie; the S is when they went to .323 groove, so if it is not marked with an S, it is still a .318.
Nicht for S means not for S.
Yes, 1905, but that was Military rifles. Civilian made rifles have no cutoff.
07 December 2013, 23:00
Atkinson
Ok so this barrel is a .318 bore, correct? Thanks guys you were a world of help, and kept me informed before I made a mistake..I had some mis information in that nich ment Made, when in fact it ment NOT for S...correct?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

07 December 2013, 23:12
dpcd
Slug the bore and measure it; It is hard to tell what they meant to say: Nach means for (after) , nacht means night, nicht means not, and nich means _____________(who knows?).
08 December 2013, 22:19
bartsche
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ok so this barrel is a .318 bore, correct?

Hate to be a smart ass but since you asked ; NO!
groove not bore. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
28 December 2013, 23:19
Alberta Canuck
[
This may or may not be worth fretting over, or testing for....BUT

A fair number of rather nice looking sporters were built by very small shops in Germany after both wars, and nicely engraved. Some of those engraved rifle actions were annealed to make them soft for easier engraving.

And of those which were annealed and engraved, some were not re-hardened after being engraved.

What that means is strictly up to interpretation by anyone having and planning to use one of those actions.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.