Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman sight on a SMLE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Does anyone have a Lyman, or similar style, aperture sight on a Lee Enfield with the dust cover still fitted and working?....how did you fit it and make it work?..pics would help..

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is gunsmithing.
Easy; any Lyman peep sight that had a flat base, and sits on the RIGHT side, will work. Can't go on the left because the dust cover rotates over there. Even one for a Win 94 would work; reverse the top. The peep won't be in the middle of the bar; doesn't matter.
Might take one made for a Mauser and mill the base flat; those go on the right side. Wider cross bar. Anyway, you need it to be flat.
Now; there is a little tab that holds the dust cover on; the sight has to be above that so can't be right next to the dust cover. No problem though.
Also, Williams used to make one for Enfields; there is one on eBay now for $30. Lyman made them too; one on eBay for $99.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
I have a conversion Enfield SMLE in .308/7.62
done by the Indian Army at their L-Armory.
Accurate.
The original sight is strictly for combat.
One form or Mark has been used since before WW I.

I think it was Mellon in his African Elephant hunting
that mentioned a hunter buying a SMLE in 303 that had a gas leak at the chamber-bought for 1 pound.
The hunter killed three elephant with it,
though he was stung by escaping propellant cordite and gases.

Posts: 359 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Ishapore 7.62 Enfields #2A or 2A1 rifles, were not conversions; they were in production of the #1MK3* in 303 but they had to use a different steel due to the higher pressures of the 7.62. They were produced from scratch; could not be converted from anything.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
My LE (1901) has a MUES sight fitted which allows the dust cover to be in place.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 7have a steel Redfield sight on my #4.
It is on the left side mounted on a plate attached with and extended ejector screw and and a screw through the rear sight ears.
The hole pattern in the sight looks like one designed for a M94 Win and the 336 Marlin.. So you could duplicate my set up with some other brand of sight.
Anyone could make the little plate. It has to be contoured to miss the safety arm. It has either 2 or 3 sets of holes to permit gross elevation settings to match up with a variety of front sight heights.