Find
Notify
Tools

m96 gas shroud
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
Who makes a m98 style gas shroud for the m96 Swedish Mauser ?

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Brownells may sell one, but can they ship to you?

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
........we have Brownells here Cool

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Brownells 100-001-866WB $49.99 Out of Stock, Backorder OK

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Weld up a flange on your 96 shroud and machine/grind it to look pretty.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
At one time Gentry built 3 position safeties for 96 Mausers, I've had many people compliment that safety because of its large gas deflecting flange on the shroud.
You might try Gentry see if they have any laying around.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....everywhere I look for this part, they say its un available, discontinued, no longer made.... Mad....dpcd, were you serious about DIY ? Does anyone know where one of these mythical item are hiding ?? Enquiring minds need to know !! I believe it would be a handy modification to my 9.3...

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes I was serious and so was the guy in the attachment. I was just thinking of welding in the scallops and making the shroud round; he took it a step further and made a large gas shield all around.
It would not be hard to do. Just a bit of time.
Personally, I do shoot 96s and don't plan to blow a case in them so I don't worry about it.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.......I don't intend being hit by a bus either, but........

Roger

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well just as a point of reference for what it's worth I have blown a case in a 93 Spanish Mauser that cracked the extractor but no gas reached my face. Go figure.

It was long ago when I bought some surplus Chilean (?) rounds to shoot. One must have been double loaded. I managed to extract the brass afterword. The primer pocket was expanded about double in size. The gas went somewhere but thankfully not at me. Eeker

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....been there.....ruptured case ( factory round ) in my 7.62x54R Siamese Mauser, fractured the extractor and I got a facefull of powder, stings like a bitch, thank goodness for shooting glasses.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Well just as a point of reference for what it's worth I have blown a case in a 93 Spanish Mauser that cracked the extractor but no gas reached my face. Go figure.

It was long ago when I bought some surplus Chilean (?) rounds to shoot. One must have been double loaded. I managed to extract the brass afterword. The primer pocket was expanded about double in size. The gas went somewhere but thankfully not at me. Eeker

Out of curiosity, was it an unaltered 93 or did it have the 1916 modifications (gas relief holes in the bolt & front ring) ?

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I don't remember. I'm thinking it didn't?

It was my first "big game" rifle I bought when I was a teenager for $40. I got a lot of mileage out of that rifle. I took my first deer, elk and a moose in British Columbia with it. Sometimes I kind of wish I still had it!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Two things here, first, thanks cvycbob for that link,I made a shroud ring and a mates tigging it up for me ( pick it up tomorrow ) and secondly my next question is.... does anyone have a pic of the holes, and a position for them, on a '93 bolt? I have a '93 that I want to re-barrel in 7.62x39, it already has the oval port in the front receiver but none in the bolt

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swedish Mauser firing pin vent location:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/p...roductImage/3840.jpg

M98 Mauser bolt vent holes location: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/p...roductImage/5300.jpg

I would emulate the M98 holes. They are large and will handle a good deal of gas, directing it downward into the magazine well. Also they don't point skyward allowing water or dirt to enter the bolt innards.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
thanks for that Bobster.....received a reply from Sunny Hill Ent. about their m96 shroud " due to slow sales we no longer produce this item "..... thumbdown bummer!

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Boxhead,
that is a really nice Small Ring Mauser, I particularly favor the wood grain!

Like I said in a previous post I used a Gentry that looks very similar to the Ed Lapour. Here is the only picture I have handy.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DPCD,
What is your opinion of the mod. 96 Mauser, I think they are smooth operating and the workmanship looks great on them, but Ive heard some bad things about them and never used one..Why would they not be good for at least low pressure cartridges like ????? Just curious, and suspect your the man to know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well until dpcd answers, I like the ones I've had and see no reason to change. Yes they aren't a 98 and can't take the pressures of one but so what?

Chambered for the right cartridges they are great actions. My sporterized by Kimber 6.5x55mm m96 is by far my favorite deer rifle. Besides the Swedes turned out truck loads of them on the commercial market and did chamber them in high pressure cartridges.

In reality I think one reason they get a bad rap was because the ammo makers down loaded their 6.5x55 ammo because of the Norwegian Krag, not the Swede M96.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I too like the 96's, the cock on opening doesn't worry me as I grew up on P14's and English Enfield's, I have several M96 based rifles including a 6.5x55 improved and a 9.3 wildcat on the same case.
Tradex sells them by the dozen in 6.5, 9.3x57 and even 9.3x62. They've been chambered in 8x57, 30-06 and ( a bit scary ) even larger calibres.
The M96 Mausers make excellent lightweight sporters, perfect as is, in 6.5 or 257Rob, 7x57, 8x57, and 9 or 9.5x57.

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Two M96 Mausers....the top in 7x57 and the lower in 35 Remington

Roger

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Roger, those rifles are just lovely. Well done!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....sorry if I have mislead you, these are not mine, just two exceptional examples of what can be done with a '96....mine are much more utilitarian...

Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like the 93/4/5/6 actions (except for Spanish make; they are a bit rough).
Of course, I like most military actions; they all have their purpose.
They are all well made and machined and rust blued much like sporters of the period; remember that skilled labor was a dollar a day, and 14 year old boys worked for 50 cents and they carried the parts from machine to machine.
There is only one caveat on them and it is just because they are old, maybe softer, and do not handle gas release as well as the 98 design; I limit pressure to 40 K psi cartridges and I advise to use modern brass. Remember that the 1903 Springfield was a copy (illegal one) of the 93 Mauser and everything we changed on it made it worse. (Ok, that cock on opening thing is ok).
Now, the Swedes use their 96s for everything but I still limit them to the low pressure cartridges. As for cock on closing; it ain't broken.
I have a Swede 96 with a 444 Marlin barrel on it on my bench today.
That is my 35 Rem in the pic above too.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
My M96 has all matching numbers. They put the serial number EVERYWHERE. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the shroud and the safety, so I gave it a Timney trigger with the safety and leave the issue safety flag flopped over on the left (on fire). Just to pretty to alter.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Swedish Mauser firing pin vent location:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/p...roductImage/3840.jpg

M98 Mauser bolt vent holes location: [url=https://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/ProductImaI would emulate the M98 holes. They are large and will handle a good deal of gas, directing it downward into the magazine well. Also they don't point skyward allowing water or dirt to enter the bolt innards.
ge/5300.jpg]https://www.gunpartscorp.com/p...roductImage/5300.jpg[/url]

I would emulate the M98 holes. They are large and will handle a good deal of gas, directing it downward into the magazine well. Also they don't point skyward allowing water or dirt to enter the bolt innards.[/QUOTE]

The vent holes in the M98 are aligned with the left raceway when the bolt is closed. Not into the magazine.

Posts: 29 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If substitute bolt shrouds can be had, can you get one for a Sako?

RIP doesn't like their extractors but I've never had mine fail. Looking down the abyss of an open left lug runway has concerned me, though, especially when they vented the bolt that way.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The holes in the bolt are only for gas that gets into the firing pin hole, and are to prevent firing pin blow back. The bulk of the gas in a catastrophic case failure is not through that path. So, perhaps receiver ports is a better idea. The theory is one of two things; either keep all the gas in, as in the Rem 700, or try to let all of it out in the safest path possible. As in most every other design. Some better than others at that.