Find
Notify
Tools

Small Ring Mauser in 7.62x39
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted
Here is a SR Mauser I barreled up in 7.62x39. I used a 30 cal. .308 bore barrel, 1-10" twist 22" long. The bolt has been converted to cock on open and has a nice trigger on it as well. It groups just under an inch so far with 150 grain Hornady bullets, although this spring I think I'll experiment with a different powder and see if I can get better groups out of it. I did take it hunting last year and took two Doe's with it.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks nice...that a 93 Spanish SR action? Have any feed issues with 7.62X39 from mag?

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I really like your idea to have it barreled for .308 bullets!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
It feeds okay out of the mag, need to replace the plastic follower and nylon spacer block Gun Parts sells for a short action feed kit. I was thinking about using a follower and spring from a Ruger in it, my dad found a 7.62x39 follower for a Mini Mark x and he says it works fine.

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob58
posted Hide Post
Nice lookin' rifle. I like the simple lines of the stock. I remember seeing this rifle posted on another forum not long ago. I commented on its range being limited to the reach of an extension cord or asked whether it was being recharged... or something inane like that.

Posts: 28 | Location: Piedmont of NC | Registered: 15 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 93-5-6 Mausers, that's a good way to keep them shooting; the 7.62x39 is about in the 30-30 class, IIRC- nuthin' wrong with that considering the sheer number of deer taken with the round.

Handsome rifle, enjoy it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Bob58 yes I remember, no problem my photography studio is still being remodeled right now so I have to take pictures where I can. LOL Bob that stock is one of the cheep Woods Plus I think, stocks that Brownells sells.

Tin can yes it's a real joy to shoot and with a little shorter barrel it really works out good in brush. I'll take it with me this year when I think I'll be taking 200 yard shots or less.

The hole project came about so I could also use the cheep-not so much any more, surplus ammo, only it doesn't group very well. I guess I'll save it for plinking and goofing off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the surplus ammo do (pressure wise) in your .308 bore?

I've had the same kind of project in mind for quite a while, but, too many other projects going on right now.

Roger

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Seems to do just fine, just not very accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a bunch of really bad Jap 38s once (came from China). Onre of them was chambered in 7.62x39. They had a block in the magazine and it fed fine. this was before all the cheap ammo came ashore or I would have kept it.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Yes I know what you are talking about. I bought two of them for 7 or 9 dollars a piece, spent 40.00 or so picking up small parts to make them complete, took them to the gun show and dumped them for 125.00 and 150. They're good little rifles, I just can't get over the ugly and hard to work safety on them.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I like the rifle, and the idea. It is good to keep those actions in use. I too have messed with the 7.62x39, in the CZ 527. It sure is a fun cartridge to shoot, but a little frustrating to handload for. The issue of course is powder capacity. I believe my rifle had a relatively fast twist. It shot the std weight bullets OK (123 -125gr), and the 150gr better. The real accuracy came when I tried some Speer and Remington 180gr .311 bullets. I just looked at my notes last night and I could get about 1900 fps with those bullets.

I traded my CZ 527 to a fellow for some electrical and plumbing work on my cabin. He said he wanted it for his son, but later he said to me that he liked the rifle so much that he was carrying it himself for the Sitka blacktail.

Anyway, my thoughts have evolved somewhat about the 7.62x39, and its comparison to the 30-30. It's a reasonable comparison with the use of 150gr and 180gr bullets, but not the 123gr.

After trading off my CZ 527, I put into motion an idea that I had for a long time. I had a super good FN '98 action, looking for a job. So, I orderd a custom reamer (JGS) for the 7.65x53 Mauser. The difference in my reamer and the CIP std chamber is mostly in the throat, but the overall specs are tighter too. Yet factory ammo is acceptable.

I have the barreled action now, and the stock for it, ready for bedding. So, instead of using a .308 bore, I went with the std .311 bore. And of course, powder capacity is no longer an issue. It will easily surpass the 30-30, or I can duplicate the ballistics of the 30-30 easily with handloads. Actually, the factory loads seem to be downloaded too.

Frankly, I think the use of those old small ring mil-surp actions are a good fit for the 7.65x53. IMO, it's a much more useful cartridge for hunting than the 7.62x39. Besides, the magazine width, feed rails, follower, extractor, magazine length, etc. is pretty much just right for the 7.65x53 cartridge, so it's a much better match of the action to the cartridge. The factory load pressure is compatable too.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Great looking little rifle, I have a Mini MkX in 7.62 x 39mm and really like it, it shoots the 150 gr bullets great and cast lead bullets shoot fantastic in it.

Bob58

It has to be recharging as it would be impractical to have to lug an extension cord around the woods not to mention it would be too expensive to buy one long enough to get very far off the road.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
After trading off my CZ 527, I put into motion an idea that I had for a long time. I had a super good FN '98 action, looking for a job. So, I orderd a custom reamer (JGS) for the 7.65x53 Mauser. The difference in my reamer and the CIP std chamber is mostly in the throat, but the overall specs are tighter too. Yet factory ammo is acceptable.

I have the barreled action now, and the stock for it, ready for bedding. So, instead of using a .308 bore, I went with the std .311 bore. And of course, powder capacity is no longer an issue. It will easily surpass the 30-30, or I can duplicate the ballistics of the 30-30 easily with handloads. Actually, the factory loads seem to be downloaded too.KB

I think that is a very decent idea. Having owned several 7.65 Mausers, my experience is that it is very easy to safely match or slightly exceed .308 Winchester performance with them.

And, .308" bores will handle factory .311" ammo just fine if need be. The reverse is also true.

Good project!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyway, my thoughts have evolved somewhat about the 7.62x39, and its comparison to the 30-30. It's a reasonable comparison with the use of 150gr and 180gr bullets, but not the 123gr.

KB

Point taken.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:

I have the barreled action now, and the stock for it, ready for bedding. So, instead of using a .308 bore, I went with the std .311 bore. And of course, powder capacity is no longer an issue. It will easily surpass the 30-30, or I can duplicate the ballistics of the 30-30 easily with handloads. Actually, the factory loads seem to be downloaded too.KB

I think that is a very decent idea. Having owned several 7.65 Mausers, my experience is that it is very easy to safely match or slightly exceed .308 Winchester performance with them.

And, .308" bores will handle factory .311" ammo just fine if need be. The reverse is also true.

Good project!

Sir you are quite correct about the 7.65. In my opinion it beats the doors off the 308. If you put the 7.65 case along side an 8x57 it looks pretty close to an 8x57 with a shorter neck. It's a terrific cartridge and especially in the 1909 Argentine rifle.

When Ruger came out with their Mini 30 I believe they had a .308 groove. Then Ruger decided to change it to .310 later on fearing some liability suits. I've done lots of testing shooting "fat" bullets in a smaller bore and unless you are running the ragged edge of maximum loads there are zero problems. I remember P.O. Ackley testing the Type 38 Arisaka and he took one and run a 30-06 chamber reamer in it still keeping the 6.5 bore. He put pressure testing equipment on it and fired, which it held up just fine. He said upon the initial swaging of the 30 caliber bullet down to the 6.5 bore there was some high pressure, but traveling down the bore the pressure was very similar to the 6.5 bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a fun project and useful little rifle.

Any basic summary of costs for us?

Thanks

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Kayaker, I just figured off the top of my head and with out chamber reamer rental fees I think I have close to 350.00 not including scope, mount, and rings. And about a month or so of my spare time, spread out over several years. When I started this project the surplus ammo for this rifle was cheep, and when it was finished it wasn't. But not a problem I'm an avid reloader, and the surplus ammo doesn't group very well anyway.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to ordering a new Follower and spring from Ruger for the 77 mark II, The follower they use in their 7.62x39 is also the same one they use for the 220 Swift. Works like a charm, I had to play with the size of the spacer block behind it a little and it holds 5 in the magazine.