Find
Notify
Tools

Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
What are your thoughts on the following actions for custom work ?.....first is a 1908 Brazilian contract DWM Berlin 7x57 action .....second is what I think they call an Isreali Mauser? A VZ24 converted to and stamped 7.62.Both are in excellent condition with matching numbers.Are they good actions for conversion?..... happy to hear your opinions.....they both came as complete but disassembled units, the VZ currently has an 8mm barrel on it and the DWM a 308 ( both done years ago )the original DWM 7x57 barrel is currently on my No1 Mk111 Enfield as a 7x57 rimmed.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old If they both are in good shape flip a coin. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the vz . I've got a bucket with 9-10 early Dwm 1903 and 1908 and 1 1909 with the lugs set back .
I've never had problems with the vz-24 , not even with 300 Weatherby. My uncle gave me a 1908 that was sent to Roy Weatherby in the mid 50s for a rebarrel and blue in 300 Weatherby mag . I know he used it for hunting , but it's hanging on the wall now .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I actually own both actions......is lug setback a common problem with the 1908 ?? and what would be a good calibre for it....I have no interest in a 308 in a mauser...not a fan and I think it a wasted in an intermediate sized action!

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's common , I own just shy of 1000 Mausers , 987 last count , most of the 1903 and about 1/2 of the 1908 have lug set back some bad some only noticeable when the barrel is removed .
Some of these BUCKET receivers are beautiful, had matching bolts others were fairly pitted and had both matching and mismatched bolts .
I've only had 2 manufacturers that never had lug set back the first is vz-24 the second , don't laugh Turk Large ring small thread STANDARD length ( NOT INTERMEDIATE)
I've built a lot more vz-24 but the Turk count is over 50 rifles , vz over 150 just going by old barrel take offs . 32 yrs of my life , it was a different job ( smithing ) than it is now .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What about 1912 Chile

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't they solder on those super hard cobalt or whatever it is milling cutters onto much softer metal so they don't have to make the whole cutter out of the good stuff?

What does that have to do with mausers.

I am just asking the question.

Why couldn't you carefully mill out the soft setback lugs just a little bit and solder in a super hard set of lugs that won't setback?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who in hell could afford to have it done? Would be cheaper to buy a GMA Than re-furbish

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lack the experience I wish I had. DeHass had a standard that I cannot argue with. Take the thing apart and try to figure out when it was made. Usually there is a proof mark with date on the underside of the receiver below the barrel. DeHass felt that the pre 1930 made should be restricted to pre 1930 cartridges. 7x57. .250 Savage. etc. If the rifle was made after 1930 then the steel should be much better and more suited to modern cartridges like the .308/ 7.62 X 51 mm NATO. (and its descendants, .243, 7/08, .358 for that matter.) Spain only switched to the 98 in, I think, 1943 and the Germans used pretty good steel thru the war. VZ might be the place to start. At the same time, the basement bandit working CHEAP on a $10 or $20 Mauser, those days are GONE. You have to want a real custom gun and be willing to pay BIG to have it. My buddy (another WWII vet now gone) did dozens, and put the stocks and pulled barrels in the trash he told me (I cried), but then when he could buy a Mark X for less than his work required, he and his partner went to stocking Mark X's with Herter wood. The Good old days, gone now. Luck. Happy trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Branger:

That's plenty of reason for us hoarders to quote why we have some much "junk" taking up space.

Cheers,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary MacDonald:
... I own just shy of 1000 Mausers...

Can I be in your will?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I tell all my hoarder friends that I eagerly anticipate their estate sales.
Here at the RIA Auction house, they bundle such things as average grade military rifles in lots of 6-10 and dump them as fast as possible.
Anyway, any czech made mauser will be good.
Restrict pre WW1s to 7.65 or 7mm pressures; I routinely send them to Blanchard for heat treat just to be sure. Not always.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I know I'm biased but the only action that I was really comfortable building on was a 98 Mauser.When the soviets collapsed in the 80's I was picking up 98 actions for $50.00 ea. Mauser banner,Oberndorf,Czech,ad nauseum.Built them + sold them.Wish I still had a few today.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote