New
Find
Notify
Tools

JP Sauer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are the JP Sauer actions generally o k to build on? Thinking 35Whelen or 338-06.
Thanks Aaron

Posts: 233 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3006va:
Are the JP Sauer actions generally o k to build on? Thinking 35Whelen or 338-06.
Thanks Aaron

Actually, it's one of the best.

I built my 8mm-06 Ackley Improved on a 1943 vintage J P Sauer & Sohn action.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are indeed...That said, the commercial JP Sauer of yesterday was as fine a rifle as Ive ever owned..I sold my last one to Jack Belk for $4000. and still regret that deal!! That gun in 30-06 shot under and inch with a peep sight.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
They are indeed...That said, the commercial JP Sauer of yesterday was as fine a rifle as Ive ever owned..I sold my last one to Jack Belk for $4000. and still regret that deal!! That gun in 30-06 shot under and inch with a peep sight.

My J P Sauer & Sone was a 1943 vintage. Not usually considered a good year for any K98.

Although it did have the sheet metal trigger guard, the floorplate was milled and the fit/finish of the entire rifle was much better than most K98s I have seen.

It was given to me by a deceased neighbor's wife after his passing. I was around 1965 and I was 14 or 15 years old. I didn't realize what I had. The tip of the forend had been cut under the front barrel band. The tip flew off the 1st time I fired it. I thought it was shoddy design/workmanship.

It was years later when I discovered that it was "duffel cut" and in all likelihood "Pat", the deceased neighbor, had sent it home during WW II as a battlefield pick up souvenir.

It was all numbers matching and in very good condition. I threw away the "defective" military stock around 1973 and replaced it with a hardware store Fajen monte carlo sporter stock. I went after the action, milling the rear bridge, D&Ting for bases and had a swept back bolt handle welded on around 2000 before learning the probable "duffle cut" history.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
JP Sauer 98k code was 147 and the usual year suffixes and prefixes, then ce. So in 1943 it was ce. They were machined and finished better than some others, and they did not make rifles in 1945. 43 was not a bad year for 98ks; that was just when stamped bands and TGs were getting into full production.
Heat treatment of any post WW1 Mauser is good; just rough machining in 45.
By sporterizing a matching vet bring back Kar98k, a potential $1500+ rifle was transformed into a $350 one.
You are not alone though....

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
JP Sauer 98k code was 147 and the usual year suffixes and prefixes, then ce. So in 1943 it was ce. They were machined and finished better than some others, and they did not make rifles in 1945. 43 was not a bad year for 98ks; that was just when stamped bands and TGs were getting into full production.
Heat treatment of any post WW1 Mauser is good; just rough machining in 45.
By sporterizing a matching vet bring back Kar98k, a potential $1500+ rifle was transformed into a $350 one.
You are not alone though....

Yes, it was the "ce" stamp that lead me to identifying the manufacturer. It was several years after I sporterized it that I realized what gad done.

Around 2004 I g0t a 1939 vintage Oberndorf numbers matched K98 action in a straight grip cut-down stock if some other vintage from my brother.

It had a botched re-blue job, overly polished, smearing the stampings badly. Since it had already been though Bubba's hands, I didn't feel so bad milling the rear bridge and D&Ting that action.