New
Find
Notify
Tools

VZ-24 in 8x60
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a nice sporterised vz-24 chambered in 8x60. Has the original barrel but a custom stock (nice but not overdone), butter knife handle, cock on open, and a new safety. The trigger is very nice but I don't know if it was worked on or an aftermarket. I haven't taken it out yet. Came with a nice little Leupold 2-7 to boot.

Anybody have any experience with the 8x60? Luckily it came with dies and I believe it can be made fairly easily from .06 brass of which I have plenty.

My plan is to touch up the stock a bit with some new swivel studs, take a little off the cheek piece (bolt can touch it when open), refinish the stock and rebarrel. I am leaning towards a .257 Roberts but the rifle is a tad on the heavy side so I may go 9.3x62 instead. Any opinions there?

I have two whelens so the 9.3 may be a bit redundant but I also have a few .243s and a .25-06 so the Bob isn't really doing much for me either. Maybe it should stay an 8x60???

Posts: 116 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. If you rebarrel you may have an issue with the existing stock channel and the new barrel, depending on the contour you decide upon. You could have the barrel rebored and chambered to the 9.3x62.

Were it mine, I'd leave it as is. And FWIW, all VZ-24s and 98 Mausers were/are cock on opening.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Good to know about the cock on open. I am pretty new to the Mauser world. I had thought about sending it to JES for a rebore to 9.3.

I showed it to my stock guy today and he thought we could work with the inletting ok if I go the rebarrel route. I think I will at least shoot it as is for a while before making a choice. I bought it for a song so I can't go too far wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one simple suggestion: just rechamber to 8mm-06.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Why? The 8x60 was designed by DWM specifically for Mauser rifles.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Why?? No real advantage. far easier since he has dies to simply trim a few 06 cases if need be.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more pics...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
stepped barrel, so really unlikely to be any gaps when you refit to the stock -- though, frankly, I wouldn't change a thing ...

it looks like a good piece of wood, so 9,3x62 would likely be fine -- but, heck, you can load 8mm from light 32 caliber bullets to REALLY heavy RNs ..

or screw in a numrich stepped 30-06 barrel

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took it out and shot it a bit with some 200 grain speers. Quick bore sight at the range, a couple shots to get it lined up and then put three within about an inch 3" high at 100. No complaints from me. Just a light starting load (upper end of the 8x57 data) but perfect function and no issues with the brass.

Made up some more brass last night from once fired .30-06 cases I had laying around and hope to play with her a bit more this summer. Fun rifle for sure.

I am leaning towards a simple stock refinish and then blue or cerakote the barrel and action. The bolt should polish up nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! It's begging for a good rust blue job.

www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Though those of us in the US of A seem to shy away from 8mm I can't imagine what one would want to hunt that that gun/cartridge would not handle at any reasonable range.

Sure lighter faster and bigger and heavier for specialized applications, but that should serve you well.

If the dies did not come with it, I would possibly voice a different opinion depend on die availabity

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is in good condition, I'd certainly leave it as is. Not only is the 8x60 a respected calibre but new barrels cost money - yet you may reduce the rifle's value if you change it.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made another 50 cases last night and shot it again this morning. Definitely leaving it as-is barrel wise now that I have shot it some. Bullets are available and cases are easy to make. There is a gentleman near me that does bluing. I hope to get a quote from him soon on a bluing job. Should make a pretty handsome working rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an 8x60 and it is a great caliber. Sierra 175 gr and Nosler 180 gr BT are both very good bullets in my rifle.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an 8x60S. I rate it as an overall better calibre in performance terms than any .30-06.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no flys on the 8x60, its a grand ole caliber and redoing it to a 8mm-06 would be an exercise in futility from the standpoint of improving it...Load it up and go shoot elk, or Alaskan Brown Bear, anything up to Eland and eveb Cape buffalo if your careful and wrought with Testosterone! sofa Im told many an elephant has bent their knee to a 8x60 according to some who are in the know in the German country of Namibia.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote