New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser ID help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few months ago I bought a beautiful Mauser with limited inscription. The dealer stated: you don't see those too often. He got it from an estate sale. When he was in Europe, there was small villages near the German border that most inhabitants were gunsmith's. Austrian or Swiss. That's where he believes it was custom built.
Most of the writing on the top of the action has been filed off. I believe they bought military or commercial Mauser actions and totally built them to their specs. The action is not drilled or tapped. Spoon handle, double set trigger.
Caliber not inscribed. I calipered the interior of the barrel muzzle at .318" thus indicating it is pre 1905 an 8x57mm. I did not chamber cast. Since it is near impossible to attain the .318" ammo, I would most likely rebarrel to a low pressure and accessable round such as the .30-06. Or would I be ruining a collector's value.
25" barrel .564" at the muzzle, 1.1 at the shank.
Double set trigger. LOP 13 1/4' to rear and 14"to front. trigger pull set at 1 1/2 lb's for light pull and 4 1/2"lb.'s for heavy.
Length of action 8 3/4"
Length of ejection port 3"
Interior box dimension 3 1/4" at center.
Length of grip to front trigger 3 3/4"
Length of grip to rear trigger 4 3/8"
The interior of the trigger has the number 14 inscribed.
Total weight 6 lb. 14 1/4 oz.'s
I removed the stock and there is no inscription period on the inletting. I was extremely impressed with the inletting, very tight and precise.

I have a couple of Jon Speed's books on the Mauser , including one on military Mauser markings, to no avail.
I am enclosing a few photos. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also any input on market value.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
These were made from WW1 Gewehr 98s by local gunsmiths in the 20s and 30s; they scrubbed all the original markings on yours. Calipers won't do; you need to slug the bore and use a micrometer to see what the groove diameter is; most likely it is .323.
German gunsmiths often marked them under the barrel shank. These aren't rare; you won't hurt it if you want to rebarrel it, but there is no need to if the bore is good.
If the bore is good, I would just shoot it as is.
30-06 is not a low pressure cartridge. Not that it can't be barreled to shoot them.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd thank you. I will go ahead and slug the bore.
and use the micrometer. I was thinking the .30-06 lower pressure compared to the .270, .280 etc.. in that class. If it's the .323. I will leave it alone and shoot as is.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 06 goes to 60 K psi and the 270 to 65; basically no real difference.
Your rifle has better engaging than most.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rep

Send the barreled action to JES he will rebore the barrel to any caliber you want depending on the original cartridge case.The guys on the castboolits.com site many of them have had him do barrels for them. if 30-06 case, 35 whelan, 338-06 375-06 check him out. Frank

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
appears to be a "GUILD' gun--unmarked as to maker
at one time I had dozens of them,
down to about 4 right now

most were 8x57 some were 318, most were 323,
a few were 8x64 in either 318 or 323, if a 30-06 completely chambers -- it could be that

fewer still were in even less common calibers

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank thank you. I will definitely check them out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clan-Colla thank you. I guess there is no getting around chamber casting and slugging the barrel to find out what I am working with. Which will dictate my follow up action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the .30-06 it would not chamber. The 8x57mm chambered tightly. I slugged the barrel and it is a .323. Tomorrow I will order cerasafe from Brownel and will chamber cast to confirm.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
so, most likely a 8x57JS (323)(std 8mm Mauser US production)
chamber cast should confirm that

BTW, US ammunition is typically only available only in 170 gr
and is loaded to lower pressures than almost all the current european rounds.

large variety of weight in the euro rounds if you do not handload-

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally chamber casted. It is an 8x57JS {.323}
I know the 8x57mm is a capable caliber, it is just not my preference.
I can have JES rebore to .338-06, or, spend an extra $100 and get a new barrel in .270win, .30-06 0r 338-06.
The magazine box would have to be opened up for any change to the other calibers.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clan_Colla: US ammunition is typically available only in 170 gr and is loaded to lower pressures than almost all the current European rounds
I'd use it as is with US factory ammo or downloaded handloads. 8x57 a great round, even downloaded. I would not use S&B ammo, loaded very hot. Good looking rife, nice engraving, stock. And I would not mess up the beautiful receiver with scope mounts. If you decide you don't want it, let me know.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
Finally chamber casted. It is an 8x57JS {.323}
I know the 8x57mm is a capable caliber, it is just not my preference.
I can have JES rebore to .338-06, or, spend an extra $100 and get a new barrel in .270win, .30-06 0r 338-06.
The magazine box would have to be opened up for any change to the other calibers.

True
all of that is possible-
and it is your rifle-
I would leave it in 8x57JS

There are plenty of other Mausers out there to rebarrel (assuming this gun shoots)

I shoot 196 gr Hornady BTHP, or Privi or S&B- on occasion , if no time to handload

Looks from above you may already have an offer to by in its current form-

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You do not have to use the light loaded US ammo in this rifle. Leave it alone and shoot it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a left hand shooter and have left hand rifles to suit all my needs. I am also a Mauser nut, to put it bluntly and appreciate them in all their form. When I saw it, I immediately realized that this rifle had a lot of skilled sweat equity in it.
I thought of gifting it to my brother, since he hinted he would like to start hunting. With no experience and open sights, I am not sure how he'll fare. I did not want to ruin the top of the receiver with scope bases but entertained the thought of a quarter rib installed and a low scout fixed power scope mounted. Due to the excessive stock drop for an optic use. I am not sure it will work and will definitely take away from it's elegant look.
What is a fair price range for this rifle ?
I appreciate all of your input.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
dpcd: You do not have to use the light loaded US ammo in this rifle.
No but he's really gonna feel it at under 7 lbs, narrow butt and all that drop at heel.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its a 8x57 with a .323 bore, the best thing one can do is rechamber it to the 8mm-06 IMP. That is one heck of a round and really over looked by most, even the wildcatters..Lots of them existed at one time from rifles brought home by our soldiers from Germany at the end of WW-2, and rechambered to 8mm/06, the IMP version was just that much better IM..got you about 5 to 8% more velocity in most cases.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote