THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    Sporterized Springfield 1922 M2, who's got one?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporterized Springfield 1922 M2, who's got one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to build a Springfield 1922 M2 sporter, seeking pics of yours for inspiration and ideas for my build.

Posts: 376 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just sold mine.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
"Building a sporter", has a very bad image for me if it involves altering an original condition military small arm. These days, that means converting a valuable collectors item to scrap.
Maybe you mean something else though.

Posts: 17013 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle I have has already been sporterized, just looking to improve upon what's already been done. I am not altering an original rifle, I fully understand their value.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would restore it back to original military configuration. If it has not been butchered up too badly.

Posts: 17013 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one but can't post pictures here. if someone sends me a # I can send a message with a pict to post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pictures sent. my rifle was already cut and drilled when I got it so was perfect to build custom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
"Building a sporter", has a very bad image for me if it involves altering an original condition military small arm. These days, that means converting a valuable collectors item to scrap.
Maybe you mean something else though.

This is the dilemna I’m dealing with right now, but with Enfields. All the Enfields I’ve acquired so far have been bubba’d; I actively seek these out, so I can build them to the spec I want with a clear conscience, since I’m not defacing a military artifact.

My soon-to-be latest acquisition(s) now present a problem. I’m waiting to take delivery of a matched pair, one P-14 and one M1917. They were represented as “sporterized”, which, with Enfields, usually involves a Home Depot DIY gunsmithing kit: a saw, a sanding block, and an angle grinder. But only when I received a couple of photos preceding the delivery of the rifles did I see they were not irretrievably bubba’d. The stocks had been given the usual, handguards and bands discarded, forend rounded with a sander, but the metalwork is 100% intact. The barrels are full-length with military sights, the rear mule-ears untouched with flip-up sights still working, dogleg bolt handles, everything. These rifles are completely restorable, if the stocks and fittings were replaced.

My dilemma is this: I’m not interested in restoring them myself, I’m really after them as the bases of projects. I’d happily trade one or both for equivalent Enfields that are unrestorable, but no one up here seems to be terribly interested. Our market in Canada is much smaller than yours, but sending rifles back and forth across the border is virtually impossible, or at least prohibitively expensive. So I’m stuck between a rock and an angle grinder. Don’t want to ruin them, can’t find someone else who doesn’t. Having a bit of conscience is terribly inconvenient sometimes!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive got several. If someone can post it I can email them a pic.

John

Posts: 536 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets try this.

Posts: 536 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Sharp looking rifle GasGunner!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Sharp looking rifle GasGunner!

Looks like a G&H stock with Hensoldt scope in a Tilden mount.

Very nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a M-1 , a early sporter and well worth putting back to original . You can find the rear bolt handle ( bolt is 2parts frt and rear ) for about $35 , stocks come up occasionally around $100-150 and your barrel could probably be rescued.

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with leaving a beautiful sporter like that be, I don't understand the fetish for returning these rifles to military configuration.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i'd have it!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38352 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 1922 sporter built by a talented gunsmith is much more interesting and collectible than an original 1922. The same goes for a 1903.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thought exactly, I have had '03s and currently have a 1922. At one time I even had a Griffin & Howe sporterized 1922.

posted Hide Post
One of the best looking rifles that Sam Marino built was based on a like new 1922. Some one in the Beaumont, Texas area became the proud owner. The 1922 is not as accurate as the early Remington 40x repeater, The 1922 does make a beautiful custom rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made my current 1922 Sporter a blind magazine by shortening the magazine and retainer and installing a 1903 floorplate. Much more attractive than the military magazine protruding from the bottom, thinking of filling in the opening in the bottom of the receiver and making it a single shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry this thread went belly up. I have a sporterized 1922 that I suspect came out of the Parker Whelen shop in Washington, D.C. However, my camera skills are non existent.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one. Pretty bad. Completely ruined the military collector value. Someone reshaped the original stock, grafted a thin oval cheekpiece on it, a full metal grip cap, and took a piece of old horn and made a forend tip out of it. Then rubbed in an old red oil finish. The worst part is they scratched up the barrel with their names. I guess it was two of them, some gun butchers out of of NY, named Griffin and the other Howe. Even scratched a number on it. What a shame….

Posts: 40 | Location: Back in the USAAAA!!!!! | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NY, named Griffin and the other Howe

Gun hackers for sure.

Posts: 19299 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1922, with unaltered metal in very good condition, but placed in an original "C" stock that is in great condition. I've been looking for an original 1922 stock to return it to its original configuration, but without any success to date. I'd appreciate any leads.

ClaMar

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a 1922 stock try posting a wanted ad on the CMP Forum. There are several individuals on there that sell 1922 parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a relatively unmolested Springfield M2 all original and in good condition. Only the front sight has been repplaced.

Any idea of value?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote