turkish mausers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
Do they make good sporters?
Why are they so inexpensive?
Is there a problem?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's put this out a while ago

www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/turkishmausers.pdf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built a bunch of sporters using the K Kale turks and have never had a problem. You do have to grind the lip off of the front of the reciever that is shown in the brownells article.. Additionally, the K Kales are small ring thread M98's...

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
They can be made into a fine rifle, I don't know but their isn't a cheap mauser these days. I still have a couple left that I paid 50-60 dollars for that I'm going to use soon.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a rifle that I built on a Turk 98 action.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/4381055831

Sadly to say I parted with it to finance other projects recently. At 100 yards it was a tack driver, and I'd dropped deer out to 500 yards with it.

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mad Jack,
What did you use to stencil the caliber on your rifle ?

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Kaboom, I used my vinyl plotter to cut a masking, and bead blasted it before bluing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very creative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard it bandied about that Turk-made Mausers were of inferior metallurgy. I suspect it is just 'Internet legend' but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. So far I've been fortunate to have been able to use nothing but BRNO, FN, and Oberndorf actions for my M98 customs, but if I stumble onto a cheap Turk I wouldn't mind salting it away for a rainy day if I shouldn't fear for its steel make-up.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
The first 98 Turk I used turned into a 35 Whelen AI, and is still going strong a dozen years later.