Find
Notify
Tools

Going Full Custom on a 91/30
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
So now I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous... Im thinking about a couple of builds on Mosin Nagants. I thought I might start out with something like a "Mannlicher" sporter--not a military full stock; but a true sporter without the top handguard and sporter sights and a 1950/60s period optic, perhaps with a removable cheek piece to match the optic/irons. Oh yes, and with a butterknife bolt handle.

My concept, besides just wanting a cool shooter and a fun project, is something that reminiscent of the post war Gun Guild builds. Im tempted to use a military stock. I have a couple that are surprisingly nice, and I sorta like the way the Finns filled the slots where the dog collar sling looped through and added "conventional" swivels at the same points.

Im tempted to use an octagon barrel for some flash; but Im not sure how that would look in a full stock. Im also thinking Id like to keep a cut down version of the cleaning rod. Perhaps a matching half stock version, also with an octagon barrel???

Im tempted to go with another caliber, maybe 9.3x54r (not sure if any magazine work is necessary); but part of the reason for doing it, is the cheap surplus, combined with decent sporting ammo for hunting.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Viable concept; I have done a lot with 91s and 91-30s; can't hurt them. Consider moving the bolt handle back and then you can use a real scope base, centered on top. Mag will work with 9.3s; remove the front side walls; don't need them anyway. Make a new stock; an original stocked sporter will look like a modified original stock. Of course, you can use the original . I have made 91s on all kinds of strange, and big, cartridges. Like 405 WCF and 50-110 WCF.

Posts: 17092 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's one way to spend money.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Consider moving the bolt handle back .....

Do you mean angling it back or actually moving it? Im going to have it changed and bent. Ive seen some bent bolts angled, is that what you mean?

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No, cut it off and weld a new one on farther back; I will take a pic later today. Here is the last one I did; cut a notch in the receiver ring for the bolt handle and that leaves the top free to mount a scope base on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So now I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous... Im thinking about a couple of builds on Mosin Nagants. I thought I might start out with something like a "Mannlicher" sporter--not a military full stock; but a true sporter without the top handguard and sporter sights and a 1950/60s period optic, perhaps with a removable cheek piece to match the optic/irons. Oh yes, and with a butterknife bolt handle.

Your ardor may cool once you price the thing out. Before jumping in, start looking at the costs. I have discussed this with a number of gun club members, it is easy to sink $1,000 (+)into a military action, and come out with a $300.00 rifle.

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
I know it WON'T be cheap going into this; but if I just wanted a rifle off the rack, Id buy an off the rack rifle. THIS is a project, and honestly the PROJECT is the reason Im doing it.

Thus far, Ive already spent more than the rifle cost just on optics; and Ive priced an octagonal at $500 installed after they square and cut the barrel for the extractor.

Once that barrel is mounted I'll still need the scope mounted and the bolt swopped for a butterknife style, sights fitted, and the stock work done; plus Im sure theyll be other stuff, trigger etc. Thats all part of the fun.

Yep Im sure some will say its a boat anchor; but I say its a way to pass the summer nights dreaming of all the hunts we'll have AND with a close matching pair, it'll be hunts that my son and I can share...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is why I do all the work myself; free labor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know it WON'T be cheap going into this; but if I just wanted a rifle off the rack, Id buy an off the rack rifle. THIS is a project, and honestly the PROJECT is the reason Im doing it.

Thus far, Ive already spent more than the rifle cost just on optics; and Ive priced an octagonal at $500 installed after they square and cut the barrel for the extractor.

Once that barrel is mounted I'll still need the scope mounted and the bolt swopped for a butterknife style, sights fitted, and the stock work done; plus Im sure theyll be other stuff, trigger etc. Thats all part of the fun.

Yep Im sure some will say its a boat anchor; but I say its a way to pass the summer nights dreaming of all the hunts we'll have AND with a close matching pair, it'll be hunts that my son and I can share...

Have fun with the project. Myself, having wasted a lot of money on projects, I can't throw the first rock......