New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 Mauser Makeover Before & After
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,I've been lurking around here awhile and thought it was time I shared some pictures of a rifle I put together a couple of years ago. Here are a few particulars; 98-29 Persian action, Douglas XX 6.5 barrel with a 1 in 8" twist, Timney trigger modified for a tang safety, Dakota mauser bolt handle, stock from a Claro blank from Calico Hardwoods with an ebony fore end tip.
I tried uploading my pictures to this page with no luck, so I'll try to post the link to the Photobucket account. I hope it works. I hope you enjoy them, Thanks for looking.http://s1065.photobucket.com/a...381/8x57/rifles-web/

Mark
Acts 4:12-13;Romans 8:29

Posts: 47 | Location: Yellville, AR | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I like it. Lefty, eh?

Kb

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy, Thanks for the reply. I actually built that for my cousin. He used the rifle as it was in the before pictures for years so was used to the right hand action. He has a left handed Remington 700 but likes his Mauser better.
Thanks Again.

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

Just hold your mouse over the image then click on the image code & it will say copied. then right click and paste it here.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as above-

[IMG ]http:/ /i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u381/8x57/rifles-web/keithsgun007n.jpg[ /IMG]

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas for the kind words. Thanks also for the info on posting picsI will try that next time. Thanks again!

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like a properly done bolt handle. Your rifle is one of the nicest ones I'v seen in quite some time. Put a crappy bolt handle on and what do you get?? a crappy looking rifle. I'm of the mind that a good well proportioned bolt handle can either make or break a rifle. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, Thank You for your reply and compliments. I've used that particular Dakota Mauser handle on the last few bolts that I've welded handles on. I really like the shape of it better than many that are avalible out there.
Thanks Again

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug Humbarger posted two of my pictures to show me how to do it, Thank You ,Doug. This is my attempt to see if i can make it work. Seeing the gun photographed from a distance, if I had it to build over I would have made the cheekpiece a little smaller. Let me know what you think. Thanks. s- web/ri fles-web/DSC00675n.jpg[/IMG]

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I tried to post too many at one time> Here is the before pictures. Thanks.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Nicely done, except you put the cheekpiece on the wrong side. I don't often get swarmy anymore, but that is nice. Where in the world did you find that thumb safety? I remember some being marketed a few years back, but haven't seen one in a long time. Inquiring minds want to know.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am most interested in that safety. Did you come up with it yourself?

Give us a "how-to," and pictures.

Posts: 48 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies and kind words.
Black Fly, Yes, I agree the cheekpiece is on the wrong side but, I built the rifle for my cousin who is left handed. I imagine he would probably tell us the same thing about our rifles Smiler. To answer your and Swarf's question about the safety, I did make that myself. The trigger is a stock Timney Featherweight Deluxe for a 98 Mauser that I cut the safety button arm off of. I machined a tang to weld on the reciever.I completely machined the tang before I welded it on so I wouldn't have to try to hold the reciever to machine it afterward.I also machined a fixture to hold the tang at the right angle and location so I could weld it in place. I machined a button simular to a button on a 77 Ruger, it fits in the slot in the tang and the rod that works the safety arm on the trigger holds it in place. I left just enough of the original arm on the trigger to drill a hole in for the other end of the rod from the safety button. This is probably clear as mud Smiler. I will have to see if I have any pictures, we bought a new computer since I first posted this. So if I have any they will be there. Thanks again for all the compliments. I hope this made sense. I will thy to post pictures if I have them.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I've an old 1928 FN mauser actioned rifle in 9.3x57 and your bolt handle looks almost just like mine. Since you still have the issue sights I'm guessing its still in 8mm mauser. No flies on that cartridge. Forget about the low powered crap american ammo. Privi, S&B< and other european mfgrs all load to CIP standards. That is what your rifle needs. 196 grain softpoint at 2600 fps.
Thats all I shoot in my yugo 48BO. You would have no reason to feel undergunned. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, The two pictures with the short barrel and military issue sights is the before pictures. They should have been shown first but it didn't post that way. The rifle began life as a 98-29 Persian Mauser carbine in 8mm Mauser. The barrel is only about 17 1/2" long. My cousin used it that way for years deer hunting. I rebuilt it for him and rebarreled it for 6.5x55. I replaced the bolt handle, if I remember correctly the one that was on it was the military one that had been modified for scope use. I also added the tang safety as he is left handed. Your 9.3x57 Mauser sounds like an interesting rifle, would love to see pictures. I have an 8x57 pre 1913 sporting rifle that my son worked up a load for as it has fixed sights. It was originaly sighted for approximately 230gr bullets as best we can tell by the proof, so he loaded some 220 gr Sierra spitzers until he got them to point of aim at 100yds. They worked out to be almost at maximum, so they are no slouch. I definately don't feel undergunnedSmiler. Thanks again for your reply.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Fly and swarf, I didn't have any pictures of the tang safety on the Mauser out of the stock. Here are some pictures of a tang safety I made on a 1903 Springfield. It it basicly the same as the Mauser except for the tang itself and the button. On the Mauser I eliminated the bottom of the "T" shape of the tang and just used the top part about 3/16" thick. I also eliminated the spring washer and snap ring on the bottom of the button and just use the end of the operating thru the hole in the button to retain it. Its very simple and works very smooth and silently.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I'm afraid my skill with all things electronic is seriously lacking. It's a Husquvarna FN actioned 98 mauser with iron sights. One standing blade. I believe it was made in 1928. And the skinniest wood stock ever. Schnabble at the forend and has a pull length of approximately 14". I need to glass bed the receiver ring and tang as there is no cross bolt.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, That sounds like a very nice rifle. I love the look and feel of those early Mauser sporters. Photos of mine are on the custom built rifles page of this forum under the title W.Collath Mauser on page 2 at the bottom. Mine has a very thin stock also and a 14 1/2" pull. It fits me like it was made for me. I can throw it up to my shoulder with my eyes closed and when I open them they are perfectly aligned with the sights.

Mark