New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Enfield....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Some of you may recognize this rifle, its been posted elsewhere....

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the originals made here had one-piece stocks.
The Brits went to the two-piece for volume production.

Somebody did a great job with yours.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old That's a lotta nice work. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

They were already set up for two piece stocks with the Martini so it was a natural simplification to do the same with the Lee Metfords and Lee Enfields

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a really lovely Enfield. Very nicely sportered.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice comment gentlemen! I did the work myself....some of the metal work was done by Dennis Erhardt, I did the woodwork. Fun project and it was actually a nice light rifle to carry afield!

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Classy rifle

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I am getting ready to start one, and am looking for ideas/inspiration. Can you post more photos of the rifle directly from the side?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
loudnboomer: Im sorry to say I can't post more pics of the rifle as a friend of mine wanted it worse than I did..... Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a #4 Mark 1/2 with original military stock, and it was a great rifle-had a new BSA barrel when I bought it and was nicely accurate. Lots of CBA postal matches, but someone else wanted it, too...

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everybody start postin pictures please

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I second Bill.
Most military spotters are cheaply done and look like crap. This one is the finest I've seen and I would be proud to have this in my cabinet with my vintage doubles.
Good job!!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the compliments gentlemen. It actually made a nice light ( believe it or not..) rifle to pack around. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, this is a LEE Enfield, never made with a one piece stock. It is nicely done.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you are confusing two different rifles. The rifle in the pictures is a Short Magazine Lee Enfield usually shortened to SMLE. The one in the picture appears to be a # 4 Mk I. ALL the SMLE's came with 2 piece stocks.
The Enfield Pattern 1914 (303 cal) and the later Pattern 1917 (30-06) usually known as P-14 and P-17 rifles have a one piece stock.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Excuse my curiosity, but what calibre is the rifle in the pic ?

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be a 303 British

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I assumed it would be, but someone on another forum said it was a 45-70, which was why I asked.

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
I assumed it would be, but someone on another forum said it was a 45-70, which was why I asked.

Roger
Roger if you are in the planning stages for building a rifle on the enfield #4 action then two suggestions. First try and locate a #8 buttstock it has a higher comb that does the issue stock making a good cheekweld. Second is sent the barreled action to JES Reboring. Have him rebore your barrel to 375 caliber and you will have the 37 Rimmed. Which is nothing more than the 303 cartridge necked up to use 375 bullets. Many of the guys at the castboolits site have had some of their rifles done and almost to a man are very happy with JES work. Have fun,Frank

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mr Snow, Grizz, and others; Idaho is correct; the original Lee rifles all had one piece stocks, and were made in the US by Sharps,, and then, Remington, after Sharps went under. It was only after England got the patent and started making them that they changed to a two piece stock; their experience with the Martini showed that design to be stronger in combat, and used smaller pieces of wood. I have a stock pattern for the Lee one piece stock which fits both #4s and #1s. It is very easy to saw off the butt socket and it makes a much better looking rifle.
But the OP's rifle is very nice.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote